Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 22250rem
The Hornet can indeed be a finicky little devil. Did a lot of good things with H-110, and it may work out good in your rifle

I have a Sedgley Low Wall with a .223" barrel. If I shoot H110 in excess of 1 gr. under a listed max, I will blow primers.I suspect its because the bore size is a touch smaller. Lil Gun is just slow enough that I can load it up to the max with no issues.

BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
For varmits I shoot 13 grains of lil' gun and a 40gr. Btip.

For deer I shoot 13 grains of lil'gun and a 45gr. TSX.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
.......small pistol primers for both.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My A bolt Hornet loves the max load of Lil'gun ,cci br primer and a 40 gr Vmax; with the bullit seated out as long as will feed through the mag(and stay attached to the case).

Be careful if you try small pistol primers.
In my rifle the pistol primers were deformed enough from the strike of the firing pin that they would leak.

Life is life and fun is fun but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.
Bror Blixen
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As most others have said, try Li'l Gun and 35 or 40 gr V-Max or BT's. Personally I have difficulty getting 13 gr in any case except Remingtons, about 12.5 gr is about all I can get into the others. YMMV.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I reamed my CZ to K-hornet but both before and after it likes 40 gr V-Max and AA 1680. The hotter the better it likes. I neck size only and then only size about 1/4 inch. No crimp and I get tiny groups and long case life.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
As most others have said, try Li'l Gun and 35 or 40 gr V-Max or BT's. Personally I have difficulty getting 13 gr in any case except Remingtons, about 12.5 gr is about all I can get into the others. YMMV.

I found Hornady brass to have the largest capacity of all, and took 13gr of Lil'Gun, which I found to be PFM in the Hornet.

Jeff

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Greetings. New member, first post. Hope some of you on this thread are still watching this. Hoping for some help. Have Mod 43 in Hornet and have been fooling around with it for several years trying to work up an ideal load. Presently, working with 8.5 gr 4227 and 45 gr. Sierra soft nose, with ww brass and cci 400. Seating bullets to fit clip, which leaves a big space 'twixt bullet and lands, but planning to change this to proper spacing with loads set up to be the first round in chamber, others loaded to fit clip for second, third shot, etc. Curious as to how much/if it will help accuracy with that first shot hand-fed. Always wondered just how good it could be with this rifle (its either a 1in 14 of 1 in 16 twist - can someone confrim/verify this?) a when I started fooling with this rifle, it keyholed 50-55 gr. bullets. Recently obtained wisdom from friend on this board Meddybemps and your discussions are telling me to abandon 4227 for Lil'Gun and I should have an improvement, but am open to ideas that work within my remaining parameters (primer, bullet, case, and gun) that I want to hold constant.

Thanks to any/all for your commentary and wisdom applied to these questioins.

Best,

Dennis

Last edited by BigLake; 02/06/10.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My first choice in powder is certainly Lil Gun. It gets more velocity at lower pressure, so the brass isn't worked as hard. Second choice would be AA1680 and third choice WW296.

For bullet choices I really like the 35 and 40 grain Hornady V Max bullets. The 35 grain might be a better choice for you as it is semi-pointed. My rifle is a Contender, so I don't have to worry about magazine length.

For brass, I use Winchester. It has less capacity than the Remington by about half a grain, but seems to last better for me.

Primer wise, I have just started using pistol primers per the advice of Rocky Raab and others on the board. Seems that the small rifle primers are too powerful and can unseat the bullet before ignition. Currently I am using Fiocci small pistol primers because I stumbled on a great deal for them. My first choice would probably be Winchester, with CCI next.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Jeff,

Are you crimping or just allowing neck tension to hold the bullet?
The only brass I could find was Winchester and I picked up a set of
Forster dies with a benchrest seater.

I burned up factory ammo shooting PD's up in KS in my Micro Medallion and figured it was time to see what it would really do.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks, guys....I've a bunch of cci 400 to burn through, so I'm feeling like I want to stick with them for the time being. I have not crimped in the bullet, just used neck tension. I also have a bunch of .224 Sierra round nose 45 gr. bullets and am trying to work with them also. I think my options at this point, that is the first/easiest things to change are the powder and bullet seating depth. Any thoughts on these parameters as they might contribute to improvement?

Thanks again!

Dennis

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Guys, I am a long time watcher on this site, very little participating with posts.

I bought a CZ Hornet in November. Started off using pistol primers, 35 & 40 gr Vmax and 12.5 grains of Lil Gun. Neck size only and the gun started off shooting very well. I don't bother to crimp.

Worked up loads at 2 tenths of a grain to 13.5. The groups got better nearing 13 grains, and got good groups. Next I tried small rifle primers and can see no difference in group size.

I have also shot the 40 gr. Sierra Hornet bullet with equal accuracy. I am getting older but can still get between 1/2"-5/8" at 100 yards.

In chronographing, 13.5 grains gives me 3050 fps, which was a shock. I will be using it to shoot sage rats this spring. And I really like this gun.

Fred

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Don't be shy about posting, Fred, every post helps me out, and probably others as well. No one's opinions or experiences are worthless, and sharing them sure might help save someone some aggravation and time.

Now, if the weatherman would cooperate and give me a decent weekend, I could get out and shoot my "new" little Hornet. So far, I've been frozen out or snowed or iced out every weekend since buying the rifle.

My thanks to all who passed on their loads and experiences.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ed,

I'd have to find my notes, but I'm pretty sure I crimped them. I'll repost, if I find my memory has failed.....which is likely!

Jeff

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a #3 in 22Hornet coming, has anyone experience with one?

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Dennis, Is that M43 a .223 bore or .224? I have a M54 with a .223 bore and of course it doesn't like the .224 bullets worth a hoot. Might be something to check.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
ww brass 35 grn v-max 12grn h 110 cci small pistol primers at 3100 fps in a ruger 77/22hornet or 9grn of 269w 55grn fmj ww , same primer and brass. butchered three buffalo with the 55fmj 1 shot each at about 25 yrds they go all the way through.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have 2 CZ 527 one is an FS. Hogdon Lilgun is king in both. I shoot the Hornady 50gr sp in mine it shoots 45's as well. 12.6 is a good spot to start. I like small pistol primers but rem 6.5s are good.

Both rifles will shoot into an inch all day as long as you don't heat them up real bad.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
11 gr. 4227 and 46 gr. bullet..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gee, another thread resurrected from the dead....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
464 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.