Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Northern pike rarely get the following they deserve, I love northerns, love fishing them & I love eating them.

who else is a closet piker?

where is the tasty fish in this photo?

I see it!!

[Linked Image]

campfire member rooster7's wife with a nice one.

[Linked Image]

my nephew

[Linked Image]

my oldest boy a year ago

[Linked Image]

me & my boy

[Linked Image]

roosters wife again

[Linked Image]

rooster

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/PersonalPics085.jpg[/img]

Nephew in BWCA 42-ish if i remember right.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/TurtlelakeNorthern2008.jpg[/img]

Something clever here.

GB2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
another pike from years back, BWCA also 40+, we ate it. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

that is one fish cooking over that fire, 4 of us couldn't quite finish it.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
here's the skull of a pike we found up on the lake where we ate that 40+ pike (that's why we ate her, she was a baby compared to what the lake holds)

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
me & the boy a few years back

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by northern_dave
here's the skull of a pike we found up on the lake where we ate that 40+ pike (that's why we ate her, she was a baby compared to what the lake holds)

[Linked Image]

Thats SCARY!!!! eek

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
More Pics!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And Pike on a Fly!

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Aint it??

That's my boot next to it.

The fish skull was up at a campsite, leading me to believe that some beastly pack of humans ate the fish.

They ate it.

[bleep] thing had to be pushing 50 inches!!

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Sweet! open water where they can rip that line through the water & really take you for a ride!!

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Biggest I ever landed & got a measurement on was 42 1/2"

Ice fishing, i released it.

I got one one the same winter that I don't even like to talk about because everybody but the guy that was with me wouldn't believe it.

We were fishing 10 inch holes that we drilled through over 36" of ice. I ran to the hole with no gaf and not as much as a leather glove. Bare hands I hauled it in (tip up) hand over hand, took for ever.

I got him in the hole, his head came up in the hole and it was just a huge toothy skull that filled that 10" hole, I mean it was tight!

No gaf, no glove (I would have stuffed my hand in his mouth with a glove) there was nothing we could do, I tried to haul him out with the line.

it broke.

We stood over that hole looking at that wide open mouth filled with needle sharp teeth that would have scalped my hand to the bones...

She thrashed in the hole for a few seconds then she was gone.

I know that fish was 4'

never seen anything like it, but that dried skull photo by my boot reminds me of that one that got away.

Something clever here.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I havent measured or weighed alot of them, 'specially the big ones, cause they are, as you know, the breeding females, and old, so I dont monkey with them too long..

But I did keep one of my biggest...oddly also a 42.5 incher...on that one we were fishing a small lake in Sask. while on a bear hunt. The guides had said there was nothing but little ones in there, but I kept catching little 3 pounders with tooth marks on them......lo and behold, up comes my 18 pounder...no slot there so I killed it to show the guides...and they had it mounted for the cabin grin

Never had the big one get away...that I know of...but my usual lure set-up is a 12 inch leader, a six inch mepps with a six inch plastic worm behind it, and I can't tell you how many times one has taken it from behind, engulfed the whole two foot long combo, and cut the line instantly.... frown

I got pizzed one day at this and put on a 30" leader, same thing happened!! shocked

Ingwe

IC B3

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Them are some dandy pike there guys! I agree cold water pike make excellent table fare....just don't disturb that green bile duct near the back of the gills. We catch some good ones here on Saginaw Bay while walleye fishing....but as table fare...out of 70+ degree water...they are wanting.

Scott

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Most of my pike fishing has been at catch and release lakes ( makes for stupendous fishing) but my favorite place allows you one pike per week, to cook and eat, under 6 lbs. There have been times when it was hard to catch that one...everything else was bigger.... grin

Ingwe

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ingwe, do you have pike in Montana?

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love to fish for Pike. I plan on trying to get one better than 48 inches this year in my Kayak. I may not be able to land it but I plan on having it pull me around the lake for a while.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by ingwe
, and I can't tell you how many times one has taken it from behind, engulfed the whole two foot long combo, and cut the line instantly.... frown

I got pizzed one day at this and put on a 30" leader, same thing happened!! shocked

Ingwe

yep, I've had them inhale a lure & it misses the throat & slips right out one of the gills & ended up setting the hook into there side with the line threaded through the gill & out the mouth.

Something clever here.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SSB
Ingwe, do you have pike in Montana?

Sorry I didnt respond last night...turned in a bit early...yes we have pike! A number of lakes have them here, but the best by far is Ft. Peck...Huge lake up north...where you can actually expect the 15-20 pounders...
We usually fish for pike in Saskatchewan or our favorite lake is in Alberta....one week fishing up there will get you more pike than you can get in the states in a decade...hundred fish days are not uncommon.... grin

Ingwe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[bleep] slimy bastards.....rarely target them but catch more than a few when im after walleyes....prefer eating walleyes but if i can fillet the northern within an hour or two of catching them ill eat them, especially on the grill.....dont care for the ones that spent an entire day in the livewell though.....

they are fun to catch, one of my funnest days fishing was when a bunch of carp moved into our walleye hole on the river and we gave up after loosing 2 poles to 20 pound plus mud suckers when we werent ready for them......discovered a drainage ditch near by and happened to have our ultralight poles we used for farm pond bass and not much else....the ditch was lined pretty well with cattails and loaded with 8-12 inch snot rockets.....spent 5 hours catching and releasing the lil bastards on the lite equipment.....was an absolute blast.....

Last edited by rattler; 01/19/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
will take a cold water Piker over Walleye anyday.

Piking is a grin--especially with kids in a boat and one get loose...:)

Defend the Constitution
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm all about the "Pickerel", as the Canucks call them. Rather catch and eat a northern than all the walleye in the world. On a trip to Michigan when I was about 10, I caught a 12 pound walleye. Problem was, until he got within view, I thought I had hooked a snag. I have never had that problem with Pike. smirk

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh, and those are some dandy looking Pike there fellas! I'm gonna have to make a trip up to Canada this summer, methinks!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.