Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm thinking of trying out the Redfield 2-7X28mm with the Leupold matte DD bases and rings...the mounting length of the scope is 5.2" and I'd really rather not use the reversible front base unless absolutely required. The scope is only $150 with a lifetime warranty and coated lenses. I'm much more interested in field of view rather than overall magnification...your thoughts? This would be a pretty cheap route for just getting started. I could probably order a scope installation toolkit as well. I will have plenty of rifles and funds to upgrade in the future. I really want to do the installs myself...I'm an engineer, so I'm pretty stupid with common sense! LMAO

Good companies to order from on-line? Good toolkit for scope mounting? Thanks again.

Armchair Bwana -Jeff in MN
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Safari317,

I sent you a PM,

Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 01/20/10.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Okay, leftybolt talked me out of the Redfield. I'm thinking VX-3 1.75-6X 32mm. It's small, light and supposedly good quality. It should give me a nice large field of view. If I don't like it, I can always put it on my Boddington Safari 375 Ruger. I'm goin' with matte everything, DD bases and low rings, Leupy. I might need a 1" bar of somethin' or another for installation.

Who's a good company to order from? I haven't gotten any feedback on that one yet...Opticsplanet? I can't do Cabelas without paying tax. Need some help here. Thanks to you all!

-Jeff in MN

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
safari: Everything you need for scope mounting can be ordered from Brownell's,mostly on line. It is not complex but must be done correctly of course.

Suspect you will like the Leupold Lefty suggested.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Who's a good company to order Leupys from? I'm gonna get my son a 2-7X rimfire with the nice ringmounts and the VX-3 1.75-6X plus mounts and rings for myself. Need an out of state company so's I don't pay tax up front, or ever. LOL
-Jeff in MN

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The height of the DD lows will work fine w/ your rifle in terms of height; heed the caution on the fore/aft measurements. I have the low DDs on a Model 70 Supergrade w/ Leupold VX-III 4.5x14x40 and they easily clear.

Another worth considering is the Talley fixed steel models; these are classics for sure.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I mounted a 2.5-8x on a 70 FWT 300WM using Talley Lightweight Lows (Extended). Works great. If you do a search, Timberline posted a while back about a deer hunt using a 280 FWT and had good pics of those rings and scope.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by mathman

Them prices are higher than I'm seeing elsewhere. They don't reflect the current sales that are goin' on.

Example: VX-3 1.75-6X32mm $429, everywhere else $399.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
GF1,

I use Talley steel mounts when Leupold's won't work for my application and I agree they are classics. My only gripe with them is that their low steel rings and bases are still pretty high. and they are a bit heavy. There's enough extra steel there that they could make their lows even lower, IMO, if enough people encouraged them to do so. Price is another hurdle, they aren't exactly inexpensive but they are very strong, well made, and look great, especially on a Win. Model 70.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by phoenixdawg
S/K rings and bases here is a supergrade with them, another rifle and another. Needless to say I really like them

Beautiful rifles there phoenixdawg!!! I like the S/K mounts and rings as well. I'm gonna look into them.

-Jeff in MN

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The SK bases and vertical split rings are growing on me. How would I figure out the tube mounting distance between the front of the forward ring and the back of the rearward ring? I'm not seein' any specs anywhere that would allow me to know or calculate this distance, and it would totally affect which scope is possible to mount. Anyone have this setup on an M70 '.06 length action with a smaller scope? All replies appreciated.

-Jeff in MN

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Jeff

Once the scope is set in the rings, you just adjust for the eye relief that you want. On the previous picture, with the Model 70 is .270 it has a .30-06 length action, the scope is a 3x9x40, not an overly big scope by any stretch.

Last edited by phoenixdawg; 01/21/10.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi phoenixdawg, could I mount a leupy VariX-II 2-7X with those sk mounts? Tube length is 5.2 ".

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Leftybolt, agree w/ you on height of the Talleys - have been meaning to bring that up w/ Gary Turner and Dave Talley (they are tremendous folks) on our next visit. In spite of the height issue, I really like them and they are hell-for-stout.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by safari317
Hi phoenixdawg, could I mount a leupy VariX-II 2-7X with those sk mounts? Tube length is 5.2 ".

you would have no problem, keep in mind the bases have more to due with scope position than the rings. Bases will be drilled at a standard length on the Model 70 standard action.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[/quote]you would have no problem, keep in mind the bases have more to due with scope position than the rings. Bases will be drilled at a standard length on the Model 70 standard action. [/quote]

I've been told that the 2.5-8X Leupy won't fit in Leupy DD bases without using a front reversible. It's tube length is 5.1". The Vari-X II 2-7X is 5.2". What is the spacing between the front of the forward ring and back of the rearward ring on your M70 SK setup? Thanks in advance.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by safari317
[/quote]you would have no problem, keep in mind the bases have more to due with scope position than the rings. Bases will be drilled at a standard length on the Model 70 standard action.

I've been told that the 2.5-8X Leupy won't fit in Leupy DD bases without using a front reversible. It's tube length is 5.1". The Vari-X II 2-7X is 5.2". What is the spacing between the front of the forward ring and back of the rearward ring on your M70 SK setup? Thanks in advance. [/quote]

I just measured 4.6"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks phoenixdawg!!! I think I could mount anything with that setup. Thanks again.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am a fan of the steel Talley mounts. Have them on most of my rifles and I can switch scopes by adjusting only one ring between some of them. I like that the fixed rings can be converted to quick detachable with just the addition of levers.

I think too much is made over light weight rings especially going to aluminum bases. My two wish list items would be for some extra low steel Talley's and to have a steel thread insert added to the light weights to prevent stripping or galling.

The VX-II 2-7x and the VX-3 1.5-6x are under rated scopes and very useful for a wide range of conditions, as are the FX4&6s.

Many of these questions could be answered by a call to Talley's the couple of times I have called I have been extremely impressed with the helpfulness and customer service. Just another reason I have them on most of my rifles.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.