Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Lee24
Thanks for you armchair advice, BMT, but it sounds like a lack of experience and knowledge of shooting.

You seem to thinking about theoretical trajectory, not shooting skill.

The six inch target I referred to is not some input to your ballistics program, but an actual target a hunter must be able to hit every time offhand at 150 yards. At 50 yards, he needs to be able to hit 2 inches every time. The issue is not just shooting a charging animal, but shooting a wounded animal which is running away, or one which hold up and waiting for you, or one which is running past you as it charges another person when the hunting party is spread out.

If you are a poor shot, you can just wait until the animal closes the distance on you. Or, as some seem to prefer, depend upon your guide, hunting partners, or dumb luck to save you.

I don't go looking for you... BUT have you EVER answered my question as to what exactly you do for a living????

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yes, I have, several more times than I should have.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Post links, I don't have time to follow all the threads into infinity waiting days for your reply.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Soon as he does...PM me so I can check to see if any wild blue monkeys are flying out of my azz...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

It seems like it would have been easier to me just to answer with your job title rather than a whole sentence that answered nothing. But that's just me.

IC B2

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for you armchair advice, BMT,

You are welcome.

Ummm, no. I was considering real life hunting situations-- sloping ground, slippery footing, difficult conditions of light and wind. With Open sights, not Precision adjustable match grade Peep sights, regular express style open sights (or more likely, Ghost Ring" peep sights).

The six inch target I referred to is not some input to your ballistics program, but an actual target a hunter must be able to hit every time offhand at 150 yards. At 50 yards, he needs to be able to hit 2 inches every time.

Why is that? An Elephant's brain is the size of a football, not a racquetball. A Buff's heart/shoulder is as big as a softball. What is so small and hard to hit that such precision is needed? In such cases, a coll head and knowledge of anatomy seems more important that a high level of precision.

And why must this be an Offhand (standing, unsupported) shot? Why cannot a hunter shoot from kneeling? Why not shoot from an improvised rest? On my last Hog hunt, I took a boar running from right to left at 80 yards. Even with the hog moving at a dead run, I had time to step left 4 paces and use a fencepost as a rest.

The issue is not just shooting a charging animal, but shooting a wounded animal which is running away, or one which hold up and waiting for you, or one which is running past you as it charges another person when the hunting party is spread out.

And this cannot be accomplished with a 2.5 power scope? Such scopes have proven very useful inside buildings in Iraq and other ares of the "Sandbox". Why won't they won't work in Africa on a huge animal?

If you are a poor shot, you can just wait until the animal closes the distance on you.

Or you should practice more. cool

Or, as some seem to prefer, depend upon your guide, hunting partners, or dumb luck to save you.

Or, you can just substitute Google for knowledge . . . . . . . . whistle

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 01/20/10.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Soon as he does...PM me so I can check to see if any wild blue monkeys are flying out of my azz...

Ingwe

I did NOT need that image . . . . .

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
jorge, you ask me what the sights on a Model 70 Safari are like, then say you own one that has iron sights.

Instead of playing word games, why don't you talk straight about the use of iron sights on DGR rifles?
If you don't use them, why do you have them on your rifle?

All these word games are like something from elementary school, by kids who couldn't discuss the subject, wanted to debate, but couldn't do that, either. Just talk about what you know, like a man.

For those who don't comprehend, I will spell it out:

In my opinion, if you can't hit a 6 inch spot 100% of the time offhand at 150 yards with iron sights, you need more practice before putting yourself in a position where you may HAVE to shoot. If you can do it, then a closer shot is that much easier.

If you haven't practiced on running game targets and running game, running away from you, at you, and to your left and right, then you really have no business putting yourself in a position where you may HAVE to shoot at running game.

My 2 cents. If you disagree, fine.
But state it plainly and politely, without the bluster and insults.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
Open sights are the primary sight on most of my serious hunting rifles. Scopes are something to take along in QD mounts. In good light, open sights are all any good shot needs to 200 yards. In snow, rain, mist and fog, they are indispensable and a scope is rather useless.

hahahahahahaha! are you serious Liar24? DO you have irons on your SC made Model70? Can you share with us your DG hunting experience? Please post your douche-bag bogus comments elsewhere. jorge

Lee you are such a moron. Don't you realize that ANYTHING you say has ZERO credibility with me or anybody else for that matter? My initial post just made fun of your ownership of that ficticious Model 70 you have in that empty chamber of a brain pan s so it really had nothing to do with iron sights, just with your lying. But DO post a picture of that rifle Ace and maybe we'll stop the public embarrassment sessions. Naaaaaah. Oh and I love quoting myself smile jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
uh??? sorry lee, nobody on the campfire takes your comments seriously and certainly not over jorge! i think i will trust a REAL veteran's input over your lying stories of AMU and Marine Sniper days at the range any day of the week! -keith

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
speaking of which, when are you going to post your military credentials? you have told us of your glory days with the AMU and the Marine Sniper program, how about providing some evidence instead of insulting the real veterans on the site? -keith

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I explained the reasons behind my opinions, jorge.
You and some of the others just toss insults. Any kid off the street could have written your post. I am sure you can do better. Try again to explain why your rifles have iron sights, and when you plan to use them. Or are they just ornaments?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
ohiohunter, I never did tell you "..of your glory days with the AMU and the Marine Sniper program..". That is either your lie, or one you heard from another troll. My shooting at Fort Benning has no relation to your inability to discuss this thread topic.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
so you're now admitting you never shot on any AMU team? do you still claim you're in the guard and going to drill?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
so you're now admitting you never shot on any AMU team? do you still claim you're in the guard and going to drill?

Actually, he is admitting that he never claimed any "glory" nor an "days" when he was with the AMU at Fort Benning in 1968.

You see, he did all his work with the AMU at Fort Benning, in 1968, at NIGHT. Therefore, there were no "days".

That is, after all, when the Sanitation Engineers are on duty.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 01/20/10.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Through the windows of the short bus that was travelling past Ft. Benning while the AMU was training that day a young boy heard the shots ringing out.........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

Actually, he is admitting that he never claimed any "glory" nor an "days" when he was with the AMU at Fort Benning in 1968.

You see, he did all his work with the AMU at Fort Benning, in 1968, at NIGHT. Therefore, there were no "days".

That is, after all, when the Sanitation Engineers are on duty.

BMT

Wasn't there a reference to wastewater in this thread also?
BTW I'm sticking to my story: I invented iron sights and silvertips

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There will be an open match at FT Benning again in 2010, if you qualify to shoot. The practice might make you able to use the iron sights on your DGR rifle.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
ME:

BMT:
Ummm, no. I was considering real life hunting situations-- sloping ground, slippery footing, difficult conditions of light and wind. With Open sights, not Precision adjustable match grade Peep sights, regular express style open sights (or more likely, Ghost Ring" peep sights).

ANSWER:
I don't need anything but good open sights to hit a clay pigeon all day long offhand at 150 yards.
---------------------------
ME:
The six inch target I referred to is not some input to your ballistics program, but an actual target a hunter must be able to hit every time offhand at 150 yards. At 50 yards, he needs to be able to hit 2 inches every time.

BMT:
Why is that? An Elephant's brain is the size of a football, not a racquetball. A Buff's heart/shoulder is as big as a softball. What is so small and hard to hit that such precision is needed?

ANSWER:
The heart or brain of a wild boar, bear, lion or leopard is much only about 6 inches.

I also presume that anyone going after dangerous game would work their way up hunting small game, deer, black bear and feral hogs back home first. The heart is only 6 inches. If you can't hit that at 100 yards offhand, you can't hit a football at 150 yards.

That's why I question your experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There will be an open match at FT Benning again in 2010, if you qualify to shoot. The practice might make you able to use the iron sights on your DGR rifle.

I wouldn't need to qualify as I could just walk in and shoot based on my record.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Do it. Let us know what event.
Now, why are you unable to discuss this topic about iron sights?

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (405joe, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 673 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.