Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What do you want to know about irons?

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am just curious why you avoid discussing the thread topic.
But, if you can't discuss that, talk about what you know about iron sights. There's nothing you can teach me about the subject, and I doubt you'll interest anyone else with your thread hijacking.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm interested....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Maybe you should start a thread so Mr Finn and others can teach you something. I will stop responding to your stupid posts, ginned-up phony photos and people like wrecker drivers you claim to be me, and name-calling, etc. I will only respond to those that are somewhat reasonable, like BMT's was half-way reasonable.

The rest of you are on ignore. I am through helping you punks hijack and stink up threads.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well Mr. Muller what do you want to know about irons?

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
shocked

Lovin this....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Is this the internet version of "pregnant silence"....?

Ingwe

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Well Mr. Muller what do you want to know about irons?

I am being honest with my question. I would like to know how you prefer to line up your target with your iron sights. I have heard of some that like to place their point of impact on top of the front post like a golf ball on a tee. Others like to put the point of impact where the front post "covers" the point of impact (I am talking about the round part at the top of the front post).

I have always done the latter, but I don't know if one is faster or more prone for accuracy than the other. It just seemed more of a natural way of doing it. Any thoughts?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If the front sight is a post, the point of aim at zero range should be the flat of the post. If the target were a bullseye, the top of the sight would be across the center of the bullseye.

If the front sight is a bead, the point of aim is through the center of the bead.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure who you directed that to, but since I invented them laugh I use the former opposed to the later, and not what he said above

Last edited by BlackDog1; 01/20/10.

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought the thread topic was about irons and DGR's?

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Can we switch to little black dresses now?

[Linked Image]

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What an absolutely, absolutely wonderful thread. Sometimes I am in awe of the things I find on the internet.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Lee24
If the front sight is a post, the point of aim at zero range should be the flat of the post. If the target were a bullseye, the top of the sight would be across the center of the bullseye.

If the front sight is a bead, the point of aim is through the center of the bead.

First, if you can hit a clay all day with open sights at 150 yards freehand, I highly suggest you pickup a service rifle and compete, you'd win every match you shot in, including the national championships..

As to correct placement of a post front sight, there is none. You use what works for you. 6, line of white, flat tire, sub six, frame, center, navy etc.... I have zeros for all of those and use different ones at times... I often hold center, but in 2 positions only, and for prone I use only 6 or frame hold depending on distances and lighting conditions. Much like I change rear aperture size and my lense colors as the light dictates.

Now where is that reference link to your job?

And on topic again, what open in 2010, I haven't been to AMU Benning in a couple of years, I might think about going this year if you'll tell me where to register and what course of fire and dates. I have plenty of AMU shooters I can bum a room off of if I am not booked already for that weekend.

Or if you'll tell me what the match is I can get hold of Emil or Troy and figure out the rest for myself.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My answer was on the rifle iron sight pictures I use in hunting game.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

Ingwe

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I'd like to see you, or anyone else, accomplish your accuracy benchmark using that type of rifle.

It's not the iron sights, but to hit a 6" bull 100% of the time from 150 yds, is no small feat. Very few shooters using a bona fide big game hunting rifle can do that, regardless of sights.

I'd be willing to challenge anyone who thinks he can to a 100-shot match here. I can only name a dozen or so folks that can do that, and maybe none with a DGR, I don't care what sort of sights you have.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

And I use the same variable sight pictures with game. My MZ for elk is currently 8 inches high at 100 yards, so that i can simply hold bottom of hair line and not cover up part of the target. I modify that for other occasions. Targets are not much different than game.

How about the contact info for Ft Benning? Like I said its been a few years since I"ve shot out there and it would be nice to visit some old friends and shoot again.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Iron sights are good. Late being better than never, I find Mule Deer's thoughts about fit of the gun being paramount for the DGR equation.

On the other discourse:

[Linked Image]

Recently rehabilitated bore and the original bottom of the ladder leaf and post. Nonetheless, they are capable of groups.

[Linked Image]

Now to tell the truth, I don't recall if it was 5 shots or 6. The question you gotta ask yourself; do you feel lucky? Well, do ya......?

Is it a 1" bull with a .22 LR or a 3" bull with a .62 caliber swivel breech flintlock? The truth is out there....

Shameless Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
BrentD, if you think hitting a 6-inch spot at 150 yards or 100 yards is too difficult a standard, what is you standard for iron sights on game, and dangerous game with you on the ground?

What range and target size do you think is reasonable for a 99% reliable shot placement?

If someone can't meet your standard, should they put themselves in a hunting situation where they may HAVE to take a shot that they are unlikely to successfully make?

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,639 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.