Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Hammer1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Where would you rank a Beretta 471 Silverhawk as compared to other $3,000 side-by-sides ?

For example, the Connecticut RBL ?

BP-B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Never played with a Silverhawk but I wasn't overly impressed with the RBL.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
i have shot the beretta 471 and i thought it pointed great for me. one thing with shotguns, if they don't fit you, you are pretty much wasting money. make sure it fits. i would rather have a 700.00 gun that fits me than a 10,000.oo gun i have to try to get my head down around it. that being said, they look great and i haven't heard about any reliablity issues. jaqua's where i live sells ALOT of them. -keith

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not a huge shotgun expert so I don't know that I can compare them to others but I do love my 470 Silverhawk. The only thing that I don't like is the automatic safety that I haven't gotten around to having disconnected............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
your right about that dj. i have never liked automatic safeties on shotguns. can't understand why they have them?

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea, you can flip from extractors to ejectors with a turn of a knob. It would have been nice if they'd done the safety the same way......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Ohiohunter hit the nail on the head about fit. To me it is harder to get a SxS to fit than a O/U or auto. I have a friend who owns a Beretta 471 and likes it a lot. The 2 people I know that have bought RBL have sold them at a loss. There are a lot of RBLs for sale on the Internet. If I was going to buy a new gun, I'd up what I would spend and buy a Merkel because they are strong guns and fit me. Really the 1st thing to do is find a store that stocks SxS, if you live in Atlanta go to Chucks and ask to go behind the counter and try what they have. If you are close I'd go here
http://www.williamlarkinmoore.com/inventory.asp
I know several hard to please friends who love WLM.

If I was locked at $3,000, I'd look for a used Parker Repo that fits, I have 1 that sits in the safe because it doesn't fit but they are strong guns.

If you just want a double buy a used Browning Citoti, for $800 you can find a good lightning that will last a lifetime.

Last edited by gahuntertom; 01/17/10.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have owned a 12 gauge Beretta 470 for about ten years. Like all Berettas it is well engineered and well made, the 471 is simply a variation of the 470.

I use mine as an upland gun but have hunted watefowl and turkeys successfully with it. If you want a do it all side by side you can't do better than the Beretta.

By the way, if is doesn't fit, take it to someone who knows what they are doing and have them fit it to you. Money well spent!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
If I was going to buy a new gun, I'd up what I would spend and buy a Merkel because they are strong guns and fit me.

+1 on the Merkel. When I reached the point in my life where I decided I was going to buy fewer guns but better guns, a Merkel 1620 was the first thing I bought. I've never suffered buyer's remorse on that deal.

Mathew 22: 37-39

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't know how to do links, but check out my post under the Ruger Gold Label thread.

I sold a nice 470 for $1600. It had Briley tubes installed. Moral of the story is you don't have to spend $3000 if you're willing to accept a used gun, and you shop around.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Never played with a Silverhawk but I wasn't overly impressed with the RBL.

I'm looking at an RBL now in 20 ga. What were your problems with the gun? Seemed like a nice shotgun from my view. I can't find many on the net for comparison on price or features.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
fit is definetly the most important thing on a side by side or any other shotgun for that matter. i live in a town that has one of the most respected gun dealers around (jaqua's fine guns). i could probably buy just about any reasonable gun i want there. what do i shoot? a CZ Ringneck in 12 gauge with 28" barrels. this gun fits me perfect and i have taken twice now to kansas pheasant hunting. 33806 can back me up that i have hit pheasants at 60 yds. plus with that gun with an IC choke and #5 nitro pheasants. is it the gun or the fit? my bet is it is the fit! -keith

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It's a great gun, not head and shoulders over others at its price, but highly reliable and well made. The business of switching from ejectors to extractors is a gimmick, btw.

As to others, fit/feel is important. Lots of folks like Merkels; I don't find they fit or feel right to me. Like others here have said, I's sooner have a Beretta than the RBLs I've seen, but that's more personal preference than value.

Sleepers, though recently awakening, are the boxlock Browning BSSs, especially in 20 gauge. These are nice, good guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have one but only one other different SxS in the same price range and it is an AyA. The 471 is well-made and every bit the AyA's equal aesthetically and mechanically. I've had it for years and as I'm of medium build and height (6'-200 lbs), this OTC guns fits me perfectly and I shoot better with it than I should. I would rather have the 28" barrels than the 26" length I have but as I mentioned I just can't miss with it so..

I also have a 471 which is a little fancier, just as well built but subtly different enough in fit that I'm not quite as good with it but good enough.

I can recommend the Beretta 470 in this price class based on my experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a rabid shotgunner, but have had several experiences where I just can't miss with one unit and can't buy a hit with another. Short of dropping some clays, how does one determine whether he is getting proper fit while standing at the counter.

As an example, we have some kid size Handi 20 guage units for our hunter safety group, and I can't miss with them. With the kid sized Rem pump, I can't touch a bird. I'm 6' 4" and obviously neither of those units really fit me.

My personal unit is a 40 year old Mossberg pump 12 guage, rattles to no end and shells will drop out if one is tilted to the right, but it shoots lights out.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/22/10.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute
...we have some kid size Handi 20 guage units for our hunter safety group, and I can't miss with them.

The most obvious feature of those little youth Handis is the LOP. I believe they are 12" IIRC. Maybe the shorter LOP is the key to your success with the little Handis. Most OTC adult rifles are 13-1/2", whereas many, if not most, OTC SxSs are 14". I don't get it. If 13-1/2" is correct for the "average" guy on a rifle, then why is 14" correct on a shotgun? I'm 6' tall and 14" is too long for me. The butt comes up into my underarm - not good when the grouse gives only a few milliseconds window of opportunity.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beats me, but next time out, I'll look them over and measure LOP and drop. Doubt they have an cast off or toe work.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
394 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 37 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,902
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.