Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sten Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I'm going to go look at an old ruger 3 screw .44 mag today and had some questions if anyone can help.

1 what does the "80" prefix on the old models mean?

2 I hear alot about factory verified brass frames and i'm not sure what that means.

3 If it really is 90% - is $500 a fair price?

Thanks for the help guys - Sten

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't know what the "80" prefix stands for but do know that some 3 screw Rugers were shipped from the factory with brass grip frames.
I have a bud who had a 357 BlackHawk with a factory brass grip frame. They're pretty rare and would add to collectors value.

Brass and stainless steel gripframes are availble as after market parts, so a factory verified part would be of more value.

I've got a 3 screw .45 Blackhawk that I added a stainless steel "old army" black powder gripframe to.

And yes I would think $500. would be a good price, especially with a brass gripframe.

I've got $700. in my 3 screw .45 and wouldn't sell it for that.

Virgil B.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ruger started using 2 digit prefixes in about '69 to comply with GCA 68 requirements for a unique S/N for each gun.

Some brass frames were shipped on guns from the factory, some Ruger made frames were fitted later by owners who liked the looks of brass, and some aftermarket brassies were made too. The only way to know how it left the factory is to call Ruger records (free).

I'm assuming we're talking an OM SBH here and NOT a Flat top. If it's an original factory installed brass frame, yes that's a fair price.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sten:

1. The "80" prefit means that it is a Super Blackhawk that was made after 1968 and before 1974.

2. Some models of Blackhawks were shipped from the factory with a brass frame. The factory can verify if the gun was shipped with a brass frame or not...hence.."factory verified". It can have an aftermarket brass frame added or even have a Ruger-made brass frame that was added after it left the factory. Those with either aftermarket or Ruger brass frames added after the gun left the factory would not verify as shipped with a brass frame. You can call Ruger Records Department at 603.863.3300, give them the serial number and they can tell you how it shipped.

3. Yes, it's probably worth close to $500. Most Old Model Supers are worth that..however, condition is important and it's also important to know if it was sent back to the factory for the safety conversion. If it has been "converted" that would hurt its value. If it has a "factory verifiable" brass frame, it would be worth more...any brass frame can add some value..an aftermarket brass frame cost approximately $200.

The prefix Old Models are the least collectable..but at 90% condition its probably a "shooter" anyway and should be worth $450 to $500...again depending on the actual condition. Just make sure it hasn't had the transfer bar added...that hurts the value.

It can't possibly be a flattop because it has an "80" prefix...the flattops didn't have a prefix in the SN.

Hope this helps....

Elwood

Last edited by elwood; 01/23/10.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Sten,

I've actually seen two of these today...both for under $500.00.
However there is a problem with both of them.

1. The one was going out the door of a gun shop by a guy who
purchased it out from under my nose.

2. The other had the safety conversion kit installed and the
guy didn't have the original parts.

I'd rather hav a 41 Mag than a 44 Mag anyhow..

Joe

IC B2

S
Sten Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks everyone for the information on the Ruger 3 screw. as it turned out the dealer I talked to yesterday and told I was coming today (75 miles) sold it. as a matter of fact he was closing the deal just as I got there. The guy he sold it to let me handle it. About 90% not converted it was pretty nice. Oh well maybe next time.

Sten

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,026 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.