Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
layout blind for deer hunting

I heard someone the other day BS'ing about hunting deer out of a layout blind. At first I thought they were full of it. But it kind of sounds like it might work in open places were you can't find coverage or a tree to get up in. Anyone doing this? Does it work? What are your thoughts on this?

thanks
Damifinowfish

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How would you sit up without spooking the deer?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd think you could figure a hole on the end and lay on your belly with the muzzle out of the blind..... we've done more or less the same thing a few times with natural stuff... prone when there was no cover.. have had deer within 5 feet of us that way.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought about the same thing once when I was goose hunting in a field and a pretty good buck for the area walked right into the decoys.

The biggest problem is going to be figuring out how to move and shoot. Another thing is most of them you can only see a narrow cone out front, limited out the side and none out the back.

Now if I want to hunt in the middle of a really big field that has like a dip deer travel that you can't see from the edge etc...I haul out some big hay bales.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hauled a few hay bails into a field when I had that problem.

Let 'em get used to it for about a week then hop in!

It worked too.

JM.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
used my layout blinds for turkeys many times

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I hauled a few hay bails into a field when I had that problem.

Let 'em get used to it for about a week then hop in!

It worked too.

JM.

I sat on the ground to one side between the front and back disks of an old disk harrow sitting in a waterway 100 yards from the field edge. Same concept, those deer were use to it always being there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should work just fine, but not a technique I'd use for an extended period in bitter cold or rainy weather. The TV folks do just fine with more comfortable popup blinds, but they may be over feeders or just after high fence stupid deer.

1Minute
D
OP Offline
D
I hunt on a federal land that is open. Kind of like very small sandy dunes. One of the many rules is that you have to take out what you take in. Very very thin vegetation for cover. It seem like a regular ground blind sticks out and the deer spot it. Thinking the low profile might be the ticket.

Damifinow fish

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As long as ya dont get stomped.....

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then just get you a small ground cloth, some fine netting, pull some of the grass in the field and weave it in.

At least this way you will be in the prone position to take a shot vs. being on your back in a layout blind.

It will also be lighter to carry.

Best,

JM.

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
On a serious note, some of the elders in our deer camp, 2 generations before me were big fans of pit blinds for deer. They dug boxes in the ground and put a hinged lid on them. Opened them up when they wanted to get in...they were mostly leaf and critter free and they were just barely head and shoulders above the ground....pile a little brush or grass up for a background and they were good to go...and insulated from the wind to boot. They bagged their share of deer so there must have been something to it...its funny in a way...they dug holes...the current generation all want to climb trees....me I'm somewhere in the middle. But i can see a low profile blind working if conditions are right.

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
it looks a little Ramboish, but a good ghillie suit that matches the field you're lying in has worked for a buddy of mine in central Miss......lying out in the middle of a cut field. If you can be still....gives you more visibility and better field of fire than a fixed layout blind. I'm too old, stiff and fidgety for that stuff.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 16Racing, 71 invisible), 3,109 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.