Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
jink Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have a 73 win in 44-40 that shoots very large groups. So I shot a round into a bucket of sand to slug the bore. What I found is a very worn bore. the slug has no signs of rifleing so I tried the slug in the end of the barrel and it fell right in. the slug is .429 and the barrel measures .434. Can anyone help me with my options? thanks!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like you need a new barrel. It kinda surprises me to hear that the rifle is so worn out. The toggle link system is not the strongest either so you may need a complete rebuild. Is it worth it, maybe if you keep it as family heirloom and don't use it anymore. May be cheaper to find another. I've seen some go for thousands of dollars depending on year and model.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
J
jink Offline OP
OP Offline
J
the rifle was made in 1883 with 24 inch oct.barrel.It's not an heirloom but I got it fairly cheap. It fuctions well just shoots about a 3 foot group. I'm a mounted shooter so it's not ideal for that because of it's weight but I can't get away from the cool factor. It works fine with blanks but I also like shooting live rounds.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Have you checked in the bore to see if there is rifling. If there is chances are it was bored that size when made.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jink
the rifle was made in 1883 with 24 inch oct.barrel.It's not an heirloom but I got it fairly cheap. It fuctions well just shoots about a 3 foot group. I'm a mounted shooter so it's not ideal for that because of it's weight but I can't get away from the cool factor. It works fine with blanks but I also like shooting live rounds.

What is cheap? Is it a 2nd Model? 2nd models are good property. About any big bore '73 is worth quite a bit of money. Any modification to it will lower its value and I would strongly counsel against it. If you don't want it or just really want a good gun for cowboy shooting, sell it and get a new Uberti. They are superior in every way to a Winchester and look more like the gun a frontiersman back then would've been using, since it wouldn't have already been worn out. Remember, more than likely, a barrel that is WORN out (as opposed to neglected) is more than likely attatched to a mechanism that is also worn out. The Uberti will give you a complete new gun. My guess is that sooner or later you will see Ubertis cheaper than they currently are due to the big run on more modern types of guns during the days after the last election.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...You could keep the historical barrel on it by having it re-bored to 45 caliber long Colt.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Unless the rifle is a family heirloom then I would sell it to a non shooting collector and buy a new Uberti 73. It's said that they are better than the original. I just love my 44-40. The original 44-40 rifles where a bit on the small side. They usually slugged out at 424 or 425 not the 427 that todays rifles are.The best way to have a truer reading of your bore is to soak the bbl with oil and use a egg shaped fishing sinker and drive it through the bore. Then you can measure both the lands and grooves.You can always have a special mold made if you so desire to spend the hundreds of dollars.

Shooter ot the Holy Black,Warthog,Bold,Deadwood Marshal,Border Vigilante,So that his place will never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,628 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,887
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.