Print Thread
Hop To
J
JRS3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I have a Ruger 44 Carbine (Serial # 100-21XXX) that has a feeding problem. The cartridges get stuck in the magazine after most shots. Typically, the action closes but the next round stick about halfway in the tube. Sometimes, the action stays half open but more times than not, it is closed with the cartidge only pulled 1/4-1/2 way out of the tube. To state it plainly, the action does not cycle a round from the magazine into the chamber.

I took the gun to a local gun smith who was "certain" that all it needed was cleaning. Well, after he cleaned it thoroughly, it still did not correct the problem. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get the gun fixed? I just sent Ruger an email but I have a feeling that they will not work on the gun becuase of its age.

Thank you,

John

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You might call the Rody Brothers at Rody's Gun Shop in Newport, NH. They know more about Ruger rifles then 99% of the people outside of Ruger.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did his "good cleaning" involve a thorough polishing/cleaning of the chamber?

If the round is sticking while still protruding that far out of the chamber it is either

A - Dirty/Corroded chamber as semiautos are notorious for being muzzle cleaned, thus the goop gets left in the chamber most of the time

B - If it is a magazine fed model, the lips may be buggered causing the cartridges to jam, and slow the bolt.

Could be a combination of both. Slow bolt and a nasty chamber.

NRA Life Member
J
JRS3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I can not say how well the 'smith cleaned the gun exactly but it looks and sounds like he did all he could. I am not an expert on this gun by any means but the action appears like it is closing just fine. After the cleaning, the bolt closes much louder and smoother than it did before.

After seeing your comments, it sounds like it has problems grabbing the next shell. Keep in mind that this model is a tube feed, not a clip feed. I think the gun was made in the mid 70's but I am not sure. It just doesn't want to pull the round out of the tube and cycle it upwards into the chamber. It doesn't get caught half way between the tube and the chamber, so it tells me its not grabbing the shell correctly. I don't know if the spring in the tube is too weak to push the next shell or if the part that grabs the shell out has failed somehow??? Thanks for the help so far.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
i have the same rifle , 1976 model, i would bet its the extractor or the chamber is real pitted and rough, mine does not burn the powder cleanly and leaves a lot of crud in the chamber, it needs to be really cleaned after about every 50 rounds no matter what powder i use, they are a great little gun and fun to shoot.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 1962 tube fed (2nd year production).

If he didn't take the lifter assembly completely apart, it may still be causing issues. When I got mine, the bolt would not even close when you pulled the bolt back on the first round. I tried the general trick of soaking the whole unit in solvent/cleaner, and using compressed air to blow it out, but it did not fix the problem.

I've gotten to where I can take the entire trigger assembly apart pretty easily without mishap. I wouldn't recommend it if you are not comfortable doing so as there is more than one part in there that can sproing out in to oblivion.

If you like, you can take it back, and ask that your smith pay special attention to the chamber with a 45cal brush wrapped in solvent and steel wool. Even being 2nd year, my rifle has a hole in the back of the receiver that you can pass a cleaning rod through to chamber clean instead of muzzle clean If that doesn't help, you can mail me the trigger assembly and I'll break it down and clean it thoroughly.

Here's mine. Serial number 4,78x

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
J
JRS3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Here is the quote from Ruger's CS deparment.

"Unfortunately, we no longer offer service or parts on this discontinued model rifle.
You can reset the piston plug set screw: with the action closed, screw in until you see the slide handle move. Then back off 1/8 of a turn. Use higher than 180gr ammo."

Does this sound like it will correct the issue?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Call Rody's, what do you have to lose? 603-863-3356.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use only 230-240 grain loads in mine, and only use jacketed bullets as solid lead can shave off in to the gas port.

Try a box of that Hornady LeveRevolution 44mag stuff.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Does anyone have any advice on how I can get the gun fixed?]

As you have found out, Ruger will no longer support the old model .44 Auto Carbine for either parts or service.

You "might" have a broken trigger housing.

If so, it is an unrepairable item, generally unobtainium, also - but it'll be better to find out now if it's that or a worn latch, etc.

Their trigger housing's have a small/male lip at it's forward/upper end, that hooks into a recess in the underside of the front of the receiver to anchor the housing while the large crosspin anchors the rear.

When the lip's gone or cracked, the front of the trigger housing "floats" during cycling under actual firing, misaligning the feed parts and resulting in mis-feeds, aka "jams".

The best way to check the lips is to take the rifle apart, as per the owner manual, and visually inspect the lip for cracking or gone missing.

The 2nd best way to to try to check for play with the rifle assembled in it's stock.
With one finger inside the magazine throat and the thumb outside the bottom of the front of the trigger housing, work the barrel up/down.
If ANY movement can be felt between the barrel/receiver and the trigger housing, it's a pretty good bet that it's a gonner.

It the housing's still good, then the problem is most likely in either worn latch parts.

BTW - There hasn't been any lead boolits fired through it, has there ? Even only a few ?
If there HAS, there's a very good possibility that your misfeeds are the result of a partially lead-clogged gas system.
THAT fix is a total tear-down & scrub-out.

Good Luck

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
lead out, pipe cleaners and alot of time.

Saw a stripped triggerguard on GB last week, must have sold. Starting bid was $125 for that piece of cast aluminum.

NRA Life Member
J
JRS3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Is it possible to clean the piston plug without having to remove the stock? If not, how do you access it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
it's possible, but not really recommended. For best results it is better to completely strip the gas assembly, clean, and then relube with a Dry spray on lube instead of a wet one.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JRS3
Is it possible to clean the piston plug without having to remove the stock? If not, how do you access it?

It's really not all that hard - but - From your question, it seems like you don't have an Owner's Manual for your .44, which has illustrated takedown instructions.

Here's an online copy you can download:

http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/44MagCarbine.pdf

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
J
JRS3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I can not thank you guys enough. Truly, I appreacite all of the help and advice.

I am pretty good around bolt actions but this little auto takes me out of my comfort range. No, I do not have a manual so this is a big help. Beleive it or not, this rifle was a wedding present! Great story, by the way. Regardless, I want to make this little carbine function properly. It was great when working right but it just won't now. Hopefully, it can be repaired.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
hopefully it wont be an issue.

easiest case is that it still sounds like it's dirty

NRA Life Member
J
JRS3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Just a quick follow up on great service and people.

After tinkering with my carbine for a few days, I took 260Remguy's (Jeff) advice and called Rody's gun shop in NH. At first, I was a little aprehensive about sending my gun 1,000+ plus miles to someone that I didn't know a thing about. However, after speaking with Bill (at Rody's), I instantly knew he was a salt-of-the-earth type of guy that was trustworthy. I explained the problem and Bill tried to walk me through it over the phone. However, I still did not feel like I had corrected the issue. Bill told me that he had hunted with 4 carbines over the past 30 plus years and had a thorough knowledge on them through his own experiences. Without any type of contract, I shipped my gun off to Bill.
He called me 2 days later and said he had corrected the problem. After replacing the piston and removing a bur on the feeding arm, he fired it with both factory and handloaded ammo about 2 dozen times (he sent me the brass) without a hiccup. I could not thank him enough and he insisted that I only pay for the factory ammo. I could not let him do this, so I had to beg him to let me send him more. He finally agreed on a very fair price and he shipped it back too me. I finally got to shoot the gun this past weekend and it worked great. My little carbine works again.
The point of the story is not that Rody's fixed my gun, but how a total stranger took the time to help another stranger with a little problem and did it becuase he wanted to. Sure, he could have just said, send it too me and charge an out of towner a bundle, but he didn't do that. He tried to talk me through it but after not being able to figure it out over the phone, it was only then that he encouraged me to send it in. I could not be happier with the service and proudly recommend Rody's to anyone with a Ruger problem.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
631 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.