Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Not that I "need" another pistol... But there is a Charles Daly HP for sale at Cabella I like. My everyday carry gun is a S&W 340PD J frame in a pocket holster. On public land I can take my Savage 99 as well.

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I had my personal 92FS Centurion for 15 years and gave it to my son who works full time Air National Guard in Security Forces law enforcement.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Guys above are right that the 9mm is halfway between 38spl and 357mag, but you can use 9mm +P in the Beretta with no issue--The military uses std ammo about +P rated and that's what Beretta qualified on (but the mil stuff is hardball solid roundnose). It's still a little short of 357 Mag, but there is some great personal defence ammo that's +P and great slug design too.
FYI< check the Beretta web site too--they now have an adjustable rear sight too that's better than the std. fixed / drift adjustable standard rear sight.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As a "woods gun", I think the Beretta 92 is a very good choice for a semi-auto......for a 9mm.

I do not think the 9mm is a great choice in any pistol for general woods walking. The main advantage of the 9mm....to me....is that it can be had in a smaller pistol that a "real" gun. That is not a consideration in a woods gun. What IS a consideration (at least where I walk) is the possibility of encountering a 200+ pound hog (or deer in season) that needs shooting. The 9mm is a very poor choice for such work.

That said....I sometimes carry a .32-20 or .357 when I go wandering in the woods and the 9mm is certainly in that class. It CAN beused on larger game with proper bullets and placement.....but the main reason and use for a woods gun is small game anyway.

As to proper ammo.....I'd probably go with the classic hardball. It is totally reliable, accurate and penetrates better than a softer bullet. In a weak cartridge such as the 9mm (or 32-20, or 357) penetration on large game is at a premium. Any exspantion of the bullet reduces penetration.....and that's not a good thing on a pissed-off 250 pound hog. I also carry hardball when I use a .45 ACP for the same reason.....it's low speed makes exspantion unreliable and reduces an already weak penetration.

Another advantage to hardball (or hard cast) bullets is the performance on small edible game. We'd all like to take nothing but head shots on a rabbit for the pot....but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. A body hit on a rabbit with hardball will normally leave enough for supper......while a quick exspanding hollow-point may leave ears and tail and little else.

As far as "personal defense" ammo and such.......why?? Everyone seems to like to dream that each trip outside the house will result in meeting someone from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie. In more than 40 years of walking the woods I've never met those folks.....maybe I'm just lucky. For most I'd guess the number of times a handgun was needed while walking the woods to defend against human preditors was.....NEVER!!

If you REALLY feel the need for "personal defense", then I'd suggest that you change where you are walking.......and buy a .375 H&H to carry when you go to the mailbox, just in case a tiger has escaped from the local zoo.

The Berretta 92 is a full size handgun that will be easy to shoot and accurate enough for woods use. The first shot double-action stuff is a pain-in-the-ass, but it CAN work if you practice enough.

I'd still like a bigger gun than the 9mm.....but if you like it that's reason enough to carry it. Hell, that's why my SAA in .32-20 spends so much time in the woods......not because it is the "best" chopice, but because it CAN work and I LIKE it.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
TexasRick,

For a 200 lb hog I want a rifle. My Savage 99 is an easy carrying rifle. As for the 9mm... Esentially a 9mm plus p load is equivalant to a 357 magnum minus p load, if anyone would load it that way.

The Texas State DPS troopers get over on losing their magnum revolvers by carrying P226's in .357 SIG. Anyone with a model 96 could get an after market .357 SIG barrel for their Beretta 96. As for .357 SIG versus .40 S&W I don't know if one would be better than the other. I do know that agencies that use the .357 SIG are sticking with it.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Texas Rick--I agree with what you say--maybe my emphasis was a little off. Just making the point that there are lots of different types of ammo out there for more versatility. Some are more accurate than others too, and availability of a given type may be a factor in this day and age too.

FYI, you probably guessed I have a 92FS, and I've shot everything from hardball to +P to flat nose sp to hollowpoint and my gun feeds it all flawlessly.

First function of a gun is to go "boom" everytime.

That said, it's not perfect for everything, but a pretty good choice for most things. For me a 6" 357 revolver would be a better all around woods gun like he asks, but for a semi, I like the 94. Of course I wouldn't mind having a Sig auto in 357,or a 10mm Kimber either.

Last edited by SteveS; 01/24/10.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by bearstalker
I'm curious on the responses as I was planning on asking this question myself since I want one of these pistols.

Shoot one before you buy.

If it has a trigger like those I've shot, you'll probably change your mind.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
SteveS.....if you really want to "step up" a notch and not break the bank at the same time......look at the EAA Witness in 10mm.

Mine is super reliable and powerful for a semi-auto. The only other guns I'd rate as well, as far as semi-auto power goes are the Automag and Wildey. Both of those are powerful, but also super exspensive.

Best thing about the Witness is that it is less exspensive than the Glock, Colt, or S&W and it can be used either double action......or carried cocked-and-locked like a 1911 and shot single action.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carried a 92D 9mm and a 96D .40 for many years, but now I carry a Ruger SP101 with full house .357 loads most of the time.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 01/24/10.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Rick--I've not seen a Witness at a shop anywhere in my area--I'll look it up.

Thanks!

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Rick,
I've not seen a Witness in my area shops, ever.
I'll look it up

Thanks!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Well, the reason I ask is this: Mainly, I need a new pistol of some sort for "general" protection and plinking as I've recently sold my S&W 317 that I carried with me in the woods...and my wife has claimed my compensated Rossi .357 revolver as hers.
In addition, I'm planning on starting to shoot Service Pistol within the next couple of years or so after I finish earning my Distinguished Rifleman award. Sooo, I'll likely be purchasing a Beretta M9/92FS in the near future anyway. Having limited funds available, I thought thay perhaps the Beretta 92 would serve me well as a general daily carry gun too rather than purchasing two different handguns right now.

The 92 is down with every aspect you mention with the exception of concealed carry. The Beretta kinda appears bigger than it is. It's a big-looking gun. Regardless, it is still full-size and not easily concealed. It can be done, but you will incur a whole litany of problems that you wouldn't have with a bit smaller gun.

If you want military issue, get the M11 (Sig P228). This is a really slick little gun and not easily obtained. They usually have some on Gun Broker though. I would opt for one of the newer ones with a rail, making the mounting of a laser or light an easy proposition.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Triggernosis

I don't think that you can get a new P228. It was made only in 9mm. The replacement is the P229 which comes in 9mm, 40 S&W, and maybe .357 SIG. But as ColeYounger says you can look for a used P228 on GunBroker.com or GunsAmerica.com

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The P228 can't be shot in Service Pistol competitions - only the M9 or 1911 can be used. The 1911 has to be in the config. that the military used, meaning no beavertail grip, combat hammer, etc..

I've got a police trade-in 92FS on the way from J&G that I paid $339 for - we'll see how it works out.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Triggernosis

I'd say you got a great deal if the gun is in good shape.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
The P228 can't be shot in Service Pistol competitions - only the M9 or 1911 can be used. The 1911 has to be in the config. that the military used, meaning no beavertail grip, combat hammer, etc..

I've got a police trade-in 92FS on the way from J&G that I paid $339 for - we'll see how it works out.
if those are still the same ones i saw there, they actually came from one of the universities in california if i remember right, some of them looked really good

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Not all of the triggers on these guns are dogs - I had Beretta USA work on the trigger of my issue M9, and it is now superb, both single and double action.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The trigger on my 92FS centurion was good out of the box. I did have a gunsmith smooth it out for me. Then it went from good to excellent. Both in SA and DA. Everybody griped about the M16 and M16A2 triggers. I don't remember any Security Police crying over the M9's trigger.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Not nearly as well. I packed a Browning 9mm with different types of ammo for a number of years as well as a couple of .38/.357 revolvers.
Most auto pistols need their triggers reworked to allow them to break any where near what an out of the box Smith will break. Most do not come with fully adjustable sights which makes them easier to hit things in the field at odd ranges.
The standard hardball ammo is a poor hunting bullet even for rabbits and squirrels. A SWC lead bullet works better. Hollow point ammo works really well, too well for edible stuff.
The trouble with the 9mm is that SWC, not flat points are hard to find that feed well. The so called flat points don't kill much, if any, better than the round nose stuff.
Full wadcutters at low vewlocities are one of the very best best small game loads out there for the .38 or the .357. Anchors them right there and tears up little meat.
HP ammo in the 9mm doesn't penetrate as well as the heavier .38's and tears up alot of meat. That's great if you are shooting varmits, but not edible game, unless you use head shots.
I've eaten lots of stuff that I've killed with my old Browning HP. But it had custom, fully adjustable sights and an exceptional trigger. That made making the required head shots workable.
I'm not opposed to semi autos as field guns. But I find the 1911 .45 as described above or the 10mm with the above features a much better choice. E

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
if those are still the same ones i saw there, they actually came from one of the universities in california if i remember right, some of them looked really good

Ron, that's good to hear. They said they had "WIP" engraved on the bottom of the trigger guard but they didn't know what it meant - any ideas on what police dept. "WIP" could be?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 66 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,210
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.