Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For quite awhile now I've seen various load from a disc programs for sale and I'm lost as to which one is best for me.Most of my manuals are getting pretty old and it maybe time for an update.So here's some questions for you guys.
1 Are they user friendly as I'm no genius when it comes to computers.
2 Half the fun for me in reloading is to be able to look at all the different loads for my application.Will I still be able to do this.
3 Look for loads by brand and powder type.
4 Look for loads by the zillion bullets out there.
5 Build my own load that may not be listed.
6 Lastly.will any of these programs replace my manuals entirely.
Comments please

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My favorite among the many that I have is NECO's QuickLOAD.

"1 Are they user friendly as I'm no genius when it comes to computers." It's complex and technical but manageable. GIGO applies.

"2 Half the fun for me in reloading is to be able to look at all the different loads for my application.Will I still be able to do this." In spades.

"3 Look for loads by brand and powder type." Yes

"4 Look for loads by the zillion bullets out there." The bullet data base includes many, and you can add your own.

"5 Build my own load that may not be listed." That's how this program works � you enter all the required specs, and the software gives you more options than you can practically use. Or you can enter your own proven load, and the software estimates the velocity and pressure.

"6 Lastly.will any of these programs replace my manuals entirely." You may want to keep collecting and consulting manuals (I do), but you can get along quite well without 'em.

QuickLOAD has a neat fitting factor, called "weighting factor," that you can vary to fit the program's predicted velocities to your chronographed velocities and thus "fit" the software to your gun.

Problem is, it's better adapted to high-pressure bottle-neck cartridges than to low-pressure cylindrical cartridges. Also, it's not cheap � about $150, IIRC.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken, Thanks for the link.
Paul

I can't spell... Deal with it...
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Ken,

Is there a way to compensate for the pressure variances produced by a lack of the program knowing the distance to the lands? Do the programs factor the distance in?

I've noticed a number of people running various loads for others on the boards, then stating the pressures would be lower with a longer oal (closer to the lands) because of a larger case capacity (program prediction), but don't consider the increase in pressure caused by bullet jam.

Turok

<B>Make it idiot proof, and some one will make a better idiot</B>
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many months ago, Rick Jamison published his results of experimenting with different seating depths for a 22-250. The powder choice and charge was kept constant. The closer the bullet was to the lands, the higher the velocity. Since pressure causes velocity, it is logical to assume the pressure increased as well with the lessening freebore.
My own loads bear this out. When the bullet is seated just off the lands (or in one case a tight throat), I'm getting published velocities with less powder than the published load. I'll get the obvious excess pressure indications before I reach the published powder charge.
Case capacity increases very little (percentage-wise), but freboare decreases a lot (again percentage-wise) when bullets are seated near the rifling for accuracy gains.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.