-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
can you get a leupold with milrad turrets? can you get a leupold with zero stop?

BRU

Last edited by 7bru; 02/02/10.
GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Higbean
VAnimrod. Not pointing fingers at anyone imparticular. Just an observation about Huskemaw haters. Have you used a Huskemaw? My friends' works as advertised and has got him shooting a whole lot more than he used to. It has made him a better more confident shooter.

Understood, and I can see how that is possible, and good for your friend. I just find them (and yes, as stated, I've looked through them and compared them on ranges against other scopes) to be inferior optically and mechanically to anything else in the price range and a lot of stuff out there for a lot less.

Originally Posted by Higbean
Now for me, I just ordered a Leupold CDS and will work up loads over the chrony, use the iPhone with Ballistic and do my own homework. It's what I enjoy doing. But some guys don't care to spend the time doing the homework and just want to spend time pulling the trigger. Thats cool with me. The Huskemaw guys found a niche in the market and have capitalized on it.

I remember years ago, my Uncle John was super pissed at Windows for home computers. Seems he spent years programing with DOS and then Windows comes out and everybody is an expert computer geek overnight. Can't help but wonder if this is the same thing going on here.

Where we disagree is not so much that they've found a niche, is that they've found a marketing gimmick and are selling an inferior product at greatly inflated prices based upon marketing, only. Basically, I just think that they folks that buy those scopes because they watch some show without comparing the glass to the other, far better, stuff out there are getting ripped off.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by 7bru
can you get a leupold with milrad turrets? can you get a leupold with zero stop?

BRU

You can get Leupolds with zero stops, easily. As for mil-rads; try MOA via the M1, M3, or CDS turrets, or you can go through their custom shop and have a turret built for your specs/load.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm not a turret twister or mil-dot, ballistic plex guy. If I were, I think VA makes an excellent point. If in fact the Huskemaw is dialed in to a specific load ( he says it is and I believe him), then it is of little use if you change, tweak, or try out new loads, correct? If so, that would be a deal killer for me in spite of the inferior glass.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can also get a turret set-up with 1/3 MOA clicks if you want to have a dial that can do for load switching or from gun to gun.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It's calibrated to one load, at one velocity, with one projectile, at one elevation, one average humidity...etc.

Change anything that affects a change in vertical impact and that knob is useless. They'll happily make you another knob for a silly amount of money...

It's so much easier to twist turrets.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do they build the Huskemaw for the Military to use on their sniper rifles?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175

I'm sure they do if you ask the right person. LOL

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

They're not near big enough of an operation for that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

No, I have never heard of that.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
thanks, guys. I learned something here.

C
C
[quote=VAnimrod

Not personal, I just find it amazing that the only positive reviews on the Huskemaw scopes are from folks associated or affiliated with the "best of the west" group, whereas the rest of the unofficial reviews (and my own experience) put them as over-priced, under-performing marketing gimmicks.[/quote]

I am not associated or affiliated in any way with Huskemaw and/or The Best Of The West but I do own a Huskemaw as well as various Leupold's, Sightron and Swarovski's. Have had my Huskemaw for about a year and a half. The Huskewaw came originally with a 1/3 MOA turret and I used it for give or take 500 rounds with this original turret. You can use your iphone or pocket PC just like any other scope with this turret. You can then get a custom turret built if you like at no charge (Now it's 2 different turrets)for a specific load, elevation etc. You can change these turrets out in less than 1 minute with a coin. I was confident enough with this scope that I used it exclusively this past hunting season and took 3 antelope, 2 deer, 1 elk, as well as a Big Horn ram that took 29 years to draw a tag. The Huskemaw saw 18 days on a 4 whlr. and 10 days on a mule and never once lost it's original POI. It has a lot of plusses with the most important to me being a 5 and 10 mph wind hold on the reticle as well as having a built in range finder that I have found to work very well out to 600 yds. on all my testing and practicing. If there is a down side it is the Huskemaw is heavier than most other scopes - very comparable in weight to the NF I have used. Optics clarity in my opinion is in the eye of the beholder but it would be like comparing ford to chevy to dodge. I realize they are relatively a new product compared to other scopes and I was very leary for quite a while. I personally took the time to go to their office in Cody and to their shop in Burlington before I made the plunge. I found them to be very professional as well as informative and at this point I have not found ANY ITEM in which I had been misled. Quite the opposite in the fact that the guys in the Huskemaw shop even taught this old codger a trick or two. I don't normally do much posting on any of the sites but thought comments like "They are a turd" wasn't being fair to a product or a bunch of pretty decent guys. I see a very long association with this scope if the first year and a half are any indication but I'll still keep using my Leo's, Sightron's and Swaro's also.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"Name the company that produces both the NF and the Huskemaw. If it's HAKKO, just say it, but beating around the bush won't do much for the advertising. And, assembly of the Huskemaw is where, again? And, their customer service is what, again?"

If the company that produces the Huskemaw scopes is the same as NightForce, wouldn't that be Light Optical? I'm pretty sure that is who makes the NF stuff. I could be wrong.

In the intrest of full disclosure, I sell all of the brands listed here, with the exceptions of Sightron and Huskemaw. I have friends who own Huskemaw scopes, I have used them, and they work as advertised.

If the features make you happy, and the price makes sense to you, you don't need anyone else to justify it for you. Buy what you want.

I agree that Huskemaw does a good job of marketing thier stuff. Does this make it better? Not really, but it makes people feel good about spending the money on one. Look at Swarovski-easily the best marketing (and best selling) of any of the 'big 3' optics houses. I much prefer both Zeiss and Leica to Swaro when it comes to binos, but I sell WAY more Swaros because that's what people want.

I hunt, therefore I am.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What is the Huskemaw's warranty coverage?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
From Huskemaw's website:

"All Huskemaw products come with a lifetime guarantee. "

Pretty vague.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only reason I will periodically watch "Best of the West" is to make sure I'm not buying ANYTHING associated with that show.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by cowboy24

I was confident enough with this scope that I used it exclusively this past hunting season and took 3 antelope, 2 deer, 1 elk, as well as a Big Horn ram that took 29 years to draw a tag.

How far were these shots? Be honest now....... smile

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I can't warm to ANYTHING associated with that stupid show on TV.

Amen, brother.

I personally have no isue with what they do on that show. it is good entertainment value, and it shows what proper training can accomplish. here loooong shots are like 200 yds, so the distances they are hitting is pretty neat to see, and to thier credit, they do very much stress the proper training and equipment, and only taking shots that they are sure they can hit and yes, I have watched and seen them pass on shots, so I am correct in that statement.

As to the rest of the show it it is nothing more than a sales pitch. yes, I did go the website and poke around, but there is not way I would shell out what they want for the gun and scope combo setup for just one load. For that amount I could go on a guided hunt, and have moo-lah left over to spend on the wife.

As to the scope alone, I noticed all the above at the site without ever seeing one - thanks so much for the confirm from VA Nimrod and the rest of you. I also think it would be better to order a $600-$800 scope and quality mounts, and put the rest of the money into ammo and practice time (plus a dinner out with the wife to keep her happy - all about balance you know) and you would likely be the equal or better fo the guy who did spend all that money 'just' to get a Huskemaw.

My .02

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My buddy has a Huskemaw scope and he is a very discriminating shooter. It sits on a several thousand dollar long range rifle. Huskemaw has a very easy and simple long range setup. Pick your poison, have the turrets made and be done with it. It is set up in YARDS so it doesn't require much more than reading the rangefinder and dialing the turret marked in yards. For the AVERAGE guy, this is a lot better and easier than using a computer or a chart etc. As far as clarity, it is easilly as good if not better than any of my VX3s including my long range version. Is it as good as a VX7- I have no idea, I don't have one nor know anyone who does. Leupold has a lot of overpriced stuff these days.

My buddy has his on a 300 RUM and has shot several 1000 yd groups under 10" with it The rifle weighs 8# or so ( has a carbon wrapped barrel- ABS) He says tracking is perfect. He settled on a load with 210 JLKs and never looked back. Took it to Mexico twice and all over southwest.

I don't think it is a "gimmick" but rather a niche item. Darrel Holland's scopes are more expensive and just have his weird reticle in them. Anything could be a gimmick.

All this said, they are not for me- I am a guy that is always changing and trying new stuff. If I were very wealthy and could buy multiple long range rifles and just put dedicated scopes on them, I might consider the Huskemaw. Right now I am using Mark IVs, VX3 LR and Burris Signatures and they are working out just fine. I have resisted these others because they are also quite heavy.

Don't be afraid of the Huskemaw, they are good scopes, just maybe not for everyone.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dennis,

Darrel Holland puts his "weird" reticle in Leupold, Nightforce and Schmidt & Bender scopes. It's in the first focal plane so the aiming points are valid on any magnification. It costs about $350 over the basic price of the scope itself, whether a Leupold VX-3 or a Schmidt & Bender. The scopes can also be cranked up and down. I have used the weird ART reticle a lot over the past few years and consider it (and the general system) to be among the best for long-range shooting.

You might also like to know that I am in the process of testing a Leupold VX-7 2.5-10x. Haven't gotten done with all the tests but have done my night-chart optics test, and it ranks right in there with the new Leica and only a smidgen behind an S&B Summit. In fact I have to give all three scopes the same 8 rating on my chart, which is as high as any scope has tested.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (444Matt, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,755 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.