Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Good points to ponder, but honestly how often do hunters actually have a major failure of any decent quality binoculars during a hunt and how likely is that to happen to the average user, especially one who takes care of their gear and especially binoculars in the mid-priced $300-$600 range?
There are an absolute ton of people in the hunting and birding circles that have used the new Chinese ED glasses the last 6 months or so and I've yet to hear of an actual breakage. I'd guess the odds are similar to being struck by lightning.

I've absolutely flogged a pair of 8x25 $100 entry level reverse-porro binocs over the course of ten years living in the glovebox, in the bottom of my ammo case, traveling in my pack, and bouncing off ladderstand steps during early season scouting and they still perform like new.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Understand, but if I am going away for 7-10 days or even longer I am taking two pair. Especially in rough terrain, one slip could mess up a set of bino's regardless of make. I guess my point is, and maybe I didnt make it clearly, I am not just taking one set of binos, two sets of ProMaster's for $750, yep, I think I would be covered! smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by scottryan

Good points on both sides, however it seems as though you are stretching to defend the origin of the ZEN Optics which you strongly support.
In any case, before we burn all the European optics at the stake in this thread alongside the Chinese, I believe Meopta is a U.S. owned company so perhaps they should be spared to a degree?

I'm thinking Meopta is a Czech company, not American as you say. Great optics nevertheless.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Eremicus
My two cents would be to wait and see how well they hold up.
Good binoculars that have views close or very close to that of the alphas are pretty common. But truly rugged binoculars are not from what I can learn. The Leicas, the Leupold Gold Rings and the older Nikon LX stuff, having survivied the famous Alaskan Guide Test, are some of the few with proven ruggedness.
I use a cheap bino or two myself. But for serious hunting trips, I'd pay the extra bucks for something that won't let me down in the middle of an important hunt. It may not, for instance, be practicaal to return to camp for a replacement when the moment is upon you or it's many miles back for it. E

I don't think of my Zed ED's as cheap binoculars. Plus I have my Swaro's and Leupold's as back up if needed.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Meopta is a Czech Republic company. Before it was Meopta it was Optotechnica (or similar). The new Meopta Meopro line is evidently going to be US assembled from Czech glass. The Meostar is totally Czech and good glass. Before I got the ZEN ED, I would have wound up with either a Gold Ring or a Meostar.

I realize there seems strong support from me for ZR. Having said that, when both the Promaster and then the ZR came out it became pretty clear pretty fast that these were the answer to the so often posed question "what can I get for a real good binocular without breaking my budget?"

I wondered about the China issue, but at first when it was only the Promaster and Doug's blind review, I figured that people were adults and would buy based on their circumstance, belief, and budget. So, when the inevitable (looking back on it) blast of BS (and it came from a bunch of sources from brand loyalists, alpha users, anti Chinese, nothing that cheap can be that good, it is a new company and they will be out of business post haste, and others as well)came out at this binocular and to some degree and on lots of forums, people like FrankD and I (we both see this binocular alike) were forced to blast back and take a stance that these were indeed a good binocular or the alternative was tuck tail and run, essentially admitting we were full of BS to begin with. A lot got sort of personal and at least one poster in a different place got kicked off that particular forum. So, my support for these is that they are an incredible value for the money, it is not the fact that they are Chinese. I also am not particularly prone to back off from Internet, or from a face to face, challenge for that matter.

I have no intention to burn Europe and their optics at the stake. That was to point out another way of looking at the issue, one that looks pretty obvious with a bit of recent Human History review. The post was titled the "Good, Bad, and the Ugly" from the get go. Looks like that is what the OP got.

EDIT: The ZR I sent to John Barsness did get knocked out of kilter somehow, but ZR replaced it. Doug tells me he has yet to a get a Promaster back.

Last edited by SteveC99; 02/05/10.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
IC B2

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by scottryan

Good points on both sides, however it seems as though you are stretching to defend the origin of the ZEN Optics which you strongly support.
In any case, before we burn all the European optics at the stake in this thread alongside the Chinese, I believe Meopta is a U.S. owned company so perhaps they should be spared to a degree?

I'm thinking Meopta is a Czech company, not American as you say. Great optics nevertheless.

Thinking, or knowing? ;}

I'd doubt they'd advertise on their website of being American owned if it weren't a fact: http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/about.php?ID=1&nav1=8&nav2=3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Open your link and read the text under the picture on the left.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by SteveC99
Meopta is a Czech Republic company. Before it was Meopta it was Optotechnica (or similar). The new Meopta Meopro line is evidently going to be US assembled from Czech glass. The Meostar is totally Czech and good glass. Before I got the ZEN ED, I would have wound up with either a Gold Ring or a Meostar.

I realize there seems strong support from me for ZR. Having said that, when both the Promaster and then the ZR came out it became pretty clear pretty fast that these were the answer to the so often posed question "what can I get for a real good binocular without breaking my budget?"

I wondered about the China issue, but at first when it was only the Promaster and Doug's blind review, I figured that people were adults and would buy based on their circumstance, belief, and budget. So, when the inevitable (looking back on it) blast of BS (and it came from a bunch of sources from brand loyalists, alpha users, anti Chinese, nothing that cheap can be that good, it is a new company and they will be out of business post haste, and others as well)came out at this binocular and to some degree and on lots of forums, people like FrankD and I (we both see this binocular alike) were forced to blast back and take a stance that these were indeed a good binocular or the alternative was tuck tail and run, essentially admitting we were full of BS to begin with. A lot got sort of personal and at least one poster in a different place got kicked off that particular forum. So, my support for these is that they are an incredible value for the money, it is not the fact that they are Chinese. I also am not particularly prone to back off from Internet, or from a face to face, challenge for that matter.

I have no intention to burn Europe and their optics at the stake. That was to point out another way of looking at the issue, one that looks pretty obvious with a bit of recent Human History review. The post was titled the "Good, Bad, and the Ugly" from the get go. Looks like that is what the OP got.

Good explanation. I totally agree with your views on the Chinese glasses and agree they rival the alphas in every regard aside from possible finish-quality/longevity, but those assumptions may prove us all wrong as time goes on.
If anything, they have permantly raised the bar for expectations of what consumers should expect from optics of that price range which will ultimately benefit us all.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by SteveC99
Open your link and read the text under the picture on the left.

Uhh, ok? What are you refering to? Yes, it is in the Czech Republic. But the company itself is American owned. Have you not seen other American owned enterprises operated overseas?
Read the first sentence in the main paragraph.

Another inidcation of origin of company ownership would be the fact that the new MeoPros are being assembled in the U.S. from parts being brought from the American owned Czech factory. http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/promo2.php

Last edited by scottryan; 02/05/10.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I could personally careless of country of origin. I used to be pro- Japan when it came to optics. I care more about the view now and Zen provides an awesome view!!! Great bang for the buck!!!

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ummm...ProMaster is an American owned company......

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
If Hitler were exporting the finest binoculars in the world, would you buy a pair?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Fireform
If Hitler were exporting the finest binoculars in the world, would you buy a pair?

If they were autographed.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Just trying to see whether there is a line here anywhere, and if so where it might be.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just trying to see whether there is a line here anywhere, and if so where it might be.

How do you draw the line? I'd bet that if you looked at the back of the remote for your TV it will say made in China. There are probably lots of things in your home that you think are US made but have parts that were made in China. Also, China buys some products that were made in the US and create American jobs. I think it's naive to think you can avoid buying anything made in China.

Slightly off point, but I'd sooner buy a product made in China than a car from a company owned by Obama.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
It is naive to think you can avoid buying anything made in China. No one is arguing that that's possible.

It's stupid to think there's no reason to prefer goods made anywhere else.

Last edited by Fireform; 02/05/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quote: "I'd sooner buy a product made in China than a car from a company owned by Obama." End Quote

Right on Brother! I wont support govt motors, no more GM cars for me until the govt gets out of that business.

Also, don't you think it odd that Obama's Transpertation Czar is making all of these negative comments regarding Toyota's? That's because the govt now has a vested and biased interest.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It is naive to think you can avoid buying anything made in China. No one is arguing that that's possible.

It's stupid to think there's no reason to prefer goods made anywhere else.

All I can say to that is that I prefer goods that give me the most bang for the buck. You are welcome to spend whatever it takes to make you feel superior.

- Albert Einstein
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
If I had $2000 to spend, I would not spend more than $500 on glasses if there is only that small amount of difference between the most expensive ones and the second best ones. I'd rather save my money for something else. But, if it is your $2000, go spend as much as you can (or can't afford) and keep the economy floating.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What are you smoking today? Wow!!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 240NMC, 70 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.