Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The rcm is not as powerful or anywhere even close to as available as the win mag but I love my rcm. It shoots great and handles even better. I haven't tried factory ammo yet but if hornady ever loads some without a plastic tip I'm sure muledeer will try them.

I don't think the rcm will ever really catch on either which is too bad. Mine replaced my 350 rem mag, which I really liked, and I'm not looking back yet.

Bb

BP-B6

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pick up a 338 win mag in a Ruger Hawkeye and then pick up a 338 RCM in the same and see which one you like......its really all about the rifle. And the cartridge performs at least as well as the 338-06 which is a cal that has plenty of fans!

I will make sure I have enough brass to last a long time - just in case Hornady do pull the pin on the round - but I have a feeling it will gain popularity when guys realise just how handy this rifle/caliber combination is........

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
it is all about the rifles. Keep waiting on Kimber to chamber the montana in this cartridge...probably a long wait..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
it is all about the rifles. Keep waiting on Kimber to chamber the montana in this cartridge...probably a long wait..

Cant see this happening. If it does & another company climbs aboard. It very well could survive. But the 338 cal is a bitch to break into.
Me thinks the 338Fed will go longer, but in the end, will die too.
I cannot see any short mags take or replace the WSM's. The SAUM's failed as will the RCM's!

Taking my rifle for a walk
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 340Wby
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Cant see this happening. If it does & another company climbs aboard. It very well could survive. But the 338 cal is a bitch to break into.
Me thinks the 338Fed will go longer, but in the end, will die too.
I cannot see any short mags take or replace the WSM's. The SAUM's failed as will the RCM's!
..........I wouldn`t BET on that my friend!!!! The difference between Hornady marketing their RCMs vs Remington`s RSAUM marketing was and is a huge difference favoring Hornady.

You under-estimate the marketing going ons behind the scenes at Hornady.

Let`s see now!.....About 3 years ago, there were these same predictions by the naysayers about another cartridge such as; "It`s not going anywhere",,,,"it will be short lived",,,,"only a fad",,,,"only a trend",,,,"Hornady and Ruger don`t know what they`re doing",,,,,and a few other predictions as I recall!

That cartridge?........The 375 Ruger!.........Where are these naysayers now? Probably drowning in their failed predicitions.

You never know what the rifle makers might chamber as well.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hope you are right!

The 375 Ruger will not(375H&H is too popular, with history & dependability!) make it either, IMO. But the 416 Ruger will. Just the way I see it wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen way too many cartridges come and go and come back to ever make predictions like that. Do you think the .45-70 was steadily popular from 1873 to now? .44-40? 16 gauge? If you look at the past 35 or 40 years, there are whole sets that rise and fall, and frequently rise again. Sometimes over and over.

I don't believe any of us have the ability to predict what will and will not be popular in 2020...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I hope you are right!

The 375 Ruger will not(375H&H is too popular, with history & dependability!) make it either, IMO. But the 416 Ruger will. Just the way I see it wink

...The 375 Ruger won`t make it uh????? Well! 375 Ruger rifle sales since this cartridge`s intro, plus its ongoing and increasing popularity not only in this country but world wide as well, has, currently does, and will in the future, prove your opinion to be very very wrong!!!

In fact, it already has proven your opinion, or the way you see it,,,,to be wrong! The 375 H&Hs popularity, will not prevent the 375 Ruger from its increasing popularity. As a matter of fact, a few African PHs have and more are ordering 375 Rugers. I`ve also read and have heard that the 375 Ruger is growing in popularity in Alaska too??......But I digress!!!

Imho, actual marketing facts obtained by doing some research, should trump personal emotional opinions, which are based only on opinions rather than facts to back them up!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Time will tell I guess. And I hope your right!

Just off the subject for a second.
How do you think a 338 would fare off the 375 case. Would it replace the 338 Win Mag, with Ruger marketing?
Do you have any dislikes about the 375 case. Or is it perfect in design?

Last edited by 340Wby; 02/11/10.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Time will tell I guess. And I hope your right!

Just off the subject for a second.
How do you think a 338 would fare off the 375 case. Would it replace the 338 Win Mag, with Ruger marketing?
Do you have any dislikes about the 375 case. Or is it perfect in design?
.................I know where you are going here! Such as a 375 Ruger casing necked down to 338 a caliber?

In other words, would a 338 Ruger (if named as such) based on the 375 Ruger casing marketed by Hornady, ever replace the `ol standby 338 Win? Imo,,no! But imo, it would definetely sell should Ruger and Hornady decide to ever market that particular round. Many do prefer a non-belted casing!!

The 375 Ruger will not completely replace the 375 H&H. It simply offers another rifle alternative.

In my experience with the 375 Ruger casing, I find no dislikes. In fact, it is a flawless feeder in my Ruger Alaskan and is extremely accurate. It equals 24" and 25" tubed 375 H&H velocities, doing so from a 20" barrel, and also does so from a shorter, handier and more manuverable overall rifle length.

As far as I`m concerned, nothing there to dislike. Just the opposite!!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you Sir for your opinion. All fare comments!

PS-Yes, 338 of the Ruger.

After talking with a couple of gunsmiths. It seems the mighty 338WM gets very little attention compared the 300WM. Even the 7mmRM has dropped.
New times with new rules maybe wink

Last edited by 340Wby; 02/11/10.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thank you Sir for your opinion. All fare comments!

PS-Yes, 338 of the Ruger.

After talking with a couple of gunsmiths. It seems the mighty 338WM gets very little attention compared the 300WM. Even the 7mmRM has dropped.
New times with new rules maybe wink
.....You`re welcome! The popularities of cartridges among gunsmiths are probably best determined by what areas of the country they`re in and the needs of their customers.

The 300 Win Mag was, is, and will continue to be, the most popular selling 300 mag on the planet. So it is easy to figure, that it will have popularity dominance over the 7 Rem Mag and the 338 Win.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like the .338 caliber for bigger game but I just do not see these so called "new comer's" to the .338 line up going much further down the road as time goes by us. As was mentioned the .338 Win mag and .340 Wby are the real deal, in a magnum caliber on big game such as elk, moose and big bears etc. You can find ammo for the .338 Winchester magnum out West at most mom & pop stores, those others you will not.

Yes, I agree the .300 Win mag is one heck of a long range caliber and is within most experienced hunters recoil threshold. The .338 Win mag and .340-Wby are a little beyound that but there are certainly things to tame that recoil down, such as a PAST RECOIL PAD. I carried a .300 Win mag for over 20 years and NEVER had a shot out of that .300 mag smack a bull elk and show the visual response like the .338 Win mag with a 250 grain bullet. I just can't swallow all these so called new caliber FADS the industry has thrown at the shooting and hunting public in the last few years. Stick with what has a good track record and one you can find ammo for in a pinch ok.

Last edited by Tonk; 02/15/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Tonk
I really like the .338 caliber for bigger game but I just do not see these so called "new comer's" to the .338 line up going much further down the road as time goes by us. As was mentioned the .338 Win mag and .340 Wby are the real deal, in a magnum caliber on big game such as elk, moose and big bears etc. You can find ammo for the .338 Winchester magnum out West at most mom & pop stores, those others you will not.

Yes, I agree the .300 Win mag is one heck of a long range caliber and is within most experienced hunters recoil threshold. The .338 Win mag and .340-Wby are a little beyound that but there are certainly things to tame that recoil down, such as a PAST RECOIL PAD. I carried a .300 Win mag for over 20 years and NEVER had a shot out of that .300 mag smack a bull elk and show the visual response like the .338 Win mag with a 250 grain bullet. I just can't swallow all these so called new caliber FADS the industry has thrown at the shooting and hunting public in the last few years. Stick with what has a good track record and one you can find ammo for in a pinch ok.
..............And I`ll vote the other way and state that we won`t see the word "discontinued" anytime soon posted on the Ruger website for the RCMs.

1st.....Not everyone who wants to own or whom already has a 338, necessarily wants the power levels or the recoil levels of the 338 Win Mag or a 340 Wby Mag. Hence the 338 Federal as well. Instead, many prefer to scale things down a bit, realizing that most if not all of their kill shots are always averaging within 300-350 yards.

2nd.....Not everyone likes the belted casings.

3rd.....Not all, but many are inclined to go with and are attracted to handier, lighter, and shorter barreled rifles, with their shorter overall rifle lengths for easier carrying in the field, which still offer more than enough performance for the largest of N/A big game. The Hawkeye RCMs do exactly that. We also seem to read everyday where hunters are inquiring about shortening their barrels, that do shorten their barrels, and/or wanting to lighten their rifles in some fashion.

4th.....For the reloader, it doesn`t matter what mom or pop stores carry or what they don`t carry! For the reloader, all one needs is good brass availability for the RCMs.

5th.....Fads or otherwise, Ruger and Hornady were spot on in creating the 300-338 RCMs and the new Hawkeyes chambered for them.

6th.....Aside from the velocity differences, the 338 RCM shoots the same bullets just as straight and just as accurate as the 338 Win and the 340 Wby. So why is a long track record needed in order to prove a cartridge? Modern software, ballistic knowledge, along with modern cartridge design and development furthered by extensive lab experimentations, can rapidly prove a cartridge`s worth without years and years of proving and further testing in the field. The 375 Ruger has been out for 3 years now. Does it need another few years to be proven?.....Nope!...It was already proven before its introduction to the public. It was just a matter of time before the shooting public accepted it.

So if some feel that these newcomer cartridges and the rifles chambered for them are simply fads, then I`ll be the first to stand in line for these so-called fads! I guarantee ya, that I will not be alone in that line!

Y
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
If I had only one gun to hunt with it would be the 338 WM. My favorite load is 225 woodleigh's, with 71.0 grs/ of H4350, 215m and Win. Brass. Its an old Ruger tang with a custom barrel. It just kills them dead. However,everyone on this post has more guns than one!

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I don't get why people try to compare the long magnums with the short magnums? In my opinion they are not supposed to really compete. For longer shots on the plane where a long barrel is not cumbersome, go for long magnum. If you are stalking through dense forest and don't want the 26" barrel, go for a short mag with a shorter barrel that will give near long magnum performance.

With respect to the long magnums, there is (generally speaking) a consensus as to which are the best (or most reasonable for the task at hand). The Question becomes is which short mag is the best?

The ballistic performance of the 3 short mags are very close to one another, which means other factors have to be considered. Apparently the RCM will feed the most reliable because if its rim design? Any truth in that?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dan360
338 RCM might come in a shorter package but you'll find 338 Win Mag ammo and components everywhere. I never thought of a 24 inch barreled sporter as being too long for most of my hunting. I also believe longer cartridges in relation to their fatness tend to feed better than short-fats.

Maybe not everywhere I know cause even in Houston 338WM is not everywhere and when it is it is a very limited selection.

My main concern is how long will the cartridges around.

Remember the 450 Marlin and the 480 Ruger?

Excellent cartridges, but dropped.

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Just roll up a 338 Campfire and call it good...

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
you can always download a 338 win mag to the rcm level but you cant load the rcm up to the win mag level.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I don't get the popularity contest, I have hunted for 40 years times I have forgotten or lost ammo..0. Do animals die faster when hit buy a round with high sales numbers?

As long as there are bullets and brass a cartridge is just as alive to me as a 30.06,

Personally I rather like the 338RCM it sets right about my limit of recoil that I can shoot without any concern. Can I handle 375's and 416, yes but I won't go shoot 40 or 50 rounds in a tee shirt.

It is a shame that the RCMs came late to the short mag race. I have a 300WSM and a 7MM SAUM and while both feed 100% they aren't smooth, but the RCM is as smooth feeding as a 308,

Of course the beauty of the RCM is its package. where else can you get a CRF rifle, with a compact length and iron sights in a cartridge thats suitable for all NA game? About the only other one that comes to mind is the Ruger Alaskan and while it might be just the tool for moose and brown bear, its a touch much for whitetail.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 92 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.