Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The .45-70 leverguns have become awfully popular lately. Let's hear some stories about game taken with it. -al

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got the rifle, but not a story yet. How 'bout you go first.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Ive also got the rifle! Cleaned it three times but havn't shot it yet!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Normally my modest nature would not allow me to toot my own horn, but since you asked... [Linked Image]<P>I jumped on the .45-70 bandwagon last summer. I was mulling over how bad I wanted to spend almost $1000 on a reproduction Sharps when I came across an old Marlin 1895 with the straight stock, made in 1972. A Sharps it ain�t, but the condition was exceptional, like NIB, so I bought it.<P>I�m not a rifle cartridge handloader, so I picked up several boxes of the Remington 405gr slowpoke loads. It seems that everybody is handloading their .45-70�s up to 2000fps and faster, but I knew that I could kill an elk just fine with a muzzleloader, so I saw no reason why I couldn�t do it with these heavy bullet, "low-powered" factory loads screaming along at maybe 1300fps with a tail wind. That�s about the same kind of ballistics you get when shooting conicals from a ML. Using the factory iron sights, I was able to keep 3 shots almost touching at 50yds. Not bad. When I backed up to 100yds, I maintained groups of around 4", which still ain�t bad for most shooters, including me, using iron sights at that distance. This was not from a rest, but rather from a sitting position, leaning against a stump, shooting across my knee. The problem was that, at first, the groups were not in the target, but rather in the plywood below the target. I adjusted the rear sight as high as it would go, but my groups still centered about 4-5" low at 100yds. I like to put the top of the bead at point of impact, rather than centering the bead on the target and thus covering it up, as some do. I resolved to do something about the sights some day in the future, maybe a tang peep, but for now it was good enough. 100yds would be my maximum range, and if I centered the bead on the target, it was shooting close enough to center at 100yds, and dead-on at 50yds when the sight picture was as I like it. I found these loads very pleasant to shoot, and shot about 100 rounds total in a couple more sessions to get accustomed to the rifle in preparation for elk season.<P>Elk season finally came along. I hunted in my usual place. It�s a place that I had found over the last few years to be a reliable elk haunt. About 2/3 of the way to the top of the east wall of a canyon that ranges from about 2000-3000 feet deep, depending on where you measure it, is a wide, more or less flat shelf, maybe a third of a mile wide at its widest point, and a good mile long. The lower wall burned quite a few years ago, but the shelf and what is above it is covered with lodgepole, with about a dozen small ponds scattered here and there. The lodgepole is dense enough that a 50yd shot is about maximum, unless you are shooting across one of the larger ponds, in which case you could possibly shoot 100yds.<P>Sunday morning I was up early and walking in the dark with a belly full of oatmeal. I hiked the uphill mile to the south end of the shelf, and then snuck along the outside edge of it, into a light north breeze, stopping often and calling on my cow call, and listening. This is a very rocky place, so you can often hear hooves coming (or going, as the case may be) from several hundred yards away. After a couple hours of that, having seen nothing but some does and fawns, I found myself at a medium sized pond, maybe an acre in size, near the north end of the shelf. I sat down against a tree at the edge of the pond and called periodically.<P>About an hour had passed when the color of elk appeared across the pond. I shouldered my rifle, but then saw that it was a spike bull. I wasn�t going to shoot a youngster on the first day of my week-long hunt, and besides, I had a cow tag in my pocket, as well as a bull tag, for later in the week if/when I got desperate. It stopped on a rise and looked around for about 5 minutes, presumably wondering where that noisy cow was hiding. I kept my rifle up and ready, hoping that big brother would be in tow, but eventually the little guy moved on, and no other elk showed itself. I sat for maybe another 15-20 minutes, calling now and then, but saw nothing.<P>By now my butt was getting a little numb, so I decided to continue sneaking north. I would slowly move about fifty yards, then stop and coo and listen carefully. I had been doing this for only a couple minutes when I saw movement straight ahead through the trees. I dropped to one knee as I noticed that the movement was the color of elk hair, and then the rack materialized. It was moving quickly straight toward me, not really running, but definitely going somewhere in a hurry, weaving back and forth through the pines, and from where I knealt I could tell that the rack was something to get serious about. I shouldered my rifle and cocked the hammer as the bull continued bobbing and weaving straight toward me. As I waited for a shot, I heard another bull bugle in the distance behind him. Now, who thinks that didn�t raise the excitement level a little bit? I really didn�t want to shoot it straight up through the middle, but feared that would be the only shot I would get. Fortunately, at about 50 yards out it veered to my right, and as I followed it with my sights on the shoulder, it passed through an opening in the trees. I squeezed and levered in another round.<P>Isn�t it funny how when you�re practicing, one shot without muffs will make your ears ring for hours, but when hunting, you only remember a THUD?<P>The bull turned and ran back the way it came for about 30 yds and then stopped, facing away from me. Remember that dense lodgepole? I couldn�t get a clear shot at him again from where I was, and I didn�t dare move for fear of spooking him, so I just sat quietly with my rifle ready in case he stepped into a shooting lane. I was fairly confident that I had hit it somewhere in the shoulder, and that it was just a matter of time before it bled out and died, but it felt like I had hours to convince myself that I had missed.<P>It was probably more like 20-30 seconds later when he fell. I waited for several minutes before approaching him, just to make sure. That is always my policy � if you don�t have a followup shot, be quiet so you don�t spook him, which could result in even a mortally wounded animal covering considerable distance, and let him die in peace. I had hit just behind the near shoulder, got one lung, and exited at the last off-side rib. In other words, a little back from where I intended, but a killing shot nonetheless. Even with a less-than-perfect shot, the pokey old Remington factory load did the job, but I guess it makes sense that a rifle with shotgun velocity might need a little lead even at 40 yds.<P>He ended up being a 6x6, just barely on one side. Not a humongous "book" monster, but certainly a very nice bull for general season public land hunting, and my best so far, and I did it at spittin distance with an iron�sighted .45-70 levergun. That's a trophy in my eyes.<P>-al

J
J
Good story. I just got my 45-70 so maybe I can contribute next year.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like hunting at its best.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have taken about 20 deer and two wild boar with my 45/70 rifles.The best one was a deer that I killed at 175 yards with a 300 grain nosler bullet.I have taken a 45/70 bear hunting,but so far have not had any success with it yet.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Good story Elliie Mae. "45/70 Marlin" I'm waiting to try my new guide gun on white tail. All my hunting buddies are giving me the usual "you'll ruin too much meat" routine. How did your deer dress out after an encounter with 45/70? Did you use factory loads? That's likely what I'll use. Of course I know shot placement means everything. I had the pleasure of taking my last 2 deer witha 375 H&H and lost no more meat than from the prior two deer which were taken with 7.62x39. <P>Still I'd love to hear how the 45-70 performs on game.<P>Thanks.

S
S
I killed one whitetail deer in January of last year with a factory 300 grain hollowpoint. I hit the shoulder, which left pieces of bone and lead in some of the meat, and tore the shoulder up a good bit.<P>I did not kill anything this past season, but hunted with a handloaded 300 grain hard cast bullet from Mid-Kansas. I figure that a 45 caliber bullet does not need expansion anyway, and a cast bullet will cause less meat damage. I'm wanting to try a 405 grain cast on a wild hog, and see how it does. I'm betting just fine!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I would guess that on an animal like a whitetail you would most likely get as good results with hardcast when shooting through shoulder and ruin less meat...expansion would not be needed with a round that is already 45 caliber and holds that size all the way through to the other side...will leave a huge hole all by itself...LOL<P><P>------------------<BR>keep em sharp,<P>ron herman

keep em sharp,<P>ron herman
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had a 1895 45 70 over 20 yrs.I literally cant recall all the whitetails and hogs that have fallen to it.I recall one miss at a buck walking at 50 yds.Longest kill was 175 yds on a good buck walking broadside. I use it sparingly since I am mainly a trophy hunter and I'm not a good enough woodsman to get close enough for the marlin to be the best choice.BTW,you are not good enough either where I hunt.I use 300 gr Federal fact for deer, cause I got 10 boxes of them when I bought the rifle.I load 350 gr RN hornadies for hogs. Either one ruins less meat than my 257 AI on rib cage hits.A rec. sight is the only way to go in my opinion with this rifle - cartridge combo.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I used my 1895G for the first time this year. Tried all kinds of factory ammo in target practicing. Finally got a box of Garrett's 420 grain Hammerheads. I had a precious elk tag in an area not to far from where I live and I sighted in for 210 yards. I ended up shooting a rather unusual 4x5 bull -- a big, mature bull -- at a distance that we later lasered at 260 yards. The Hammerhead struck the bull just above the shoulder in the neck and did not full penetrate the bull. When Randy Garrett learned of that he sent me a free box of cartridges. The shot did not knock the bull down and I had to pursue him. The second shot from 85 yards went through both shoulders and he dropped with a few yards.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
260 yds is a far shoot for a 45 -70 Great shot. I have dropped two bulls using Speer ( I Think) 400 gr . with 3031 powder. Both less than 30 yds and the dropped almost imediately. One was straight down the brisket. the other was broadside and then staright on at about 15 yds. I's that gun scoped or open sights?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I didn't realize it was 260 yards when I took the shot. A friend, an off-duty game warden, was with me and he estimated the distance at 200 yards. I simply did not have time to put a rangefinder on this bull. I had a Weaver 4x on the rifle at that time. Since then I have put on an old Redfield 4x Tracker that I like better. I tried the Tasco EXP and it is too long of a tube for a Guide Gun. I normally prefer open sights but the ole eyes are gettin; older.
<br>
<br>john

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
The marlin 45\70 1895SS, with a tasco 1.75to 5 loaded with the 300 gn taipan has pleased me greatly. the bullet is made here in Australia. I took it after pigs and shot 5 on one walk along the Willandra Creek. This creek is a haven for them. The first shot was at a black and white boar . The bullet took him in the shoulder and there was complete penetration. I also shot a fox with it, during a session of spotlighting, needless to say the fox was a complete mess.

I have a Brownchester 1886 ELR in .45-70 with which I killed a young bull last year at under 50 yards. I shot through him twice because he did not fall fast enough to suit me. I was using 53 grains of 3031 behind a Remington 405 gr. SP. I can not fault the rifle for anything, but I could shoot better. Practice. Practice. I know.
<br>
<br>dclark

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know how my guide gun works on medium or big game yet. But I do know that it's hell on groundhogs.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!
M
M
I bought a 1895 back in 1997, and put a 1x4 Leupold on it. I have been shooting 300 grain factory ammo. Killed two deer. Hit them like a hammer. I have sighted in with the newer Winchester 300 grain partition gold, and the first three shots cloverleafed at 100 yards. I may order some of those and work up a more powerfull (and cheaper) load. The 1895 shoots better than my Ruger #1 that I got about the same time.
<br>
<br>I have extensively hunted hogs with the 1895, but we have not connected with any big ones. Just several small ones.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well not really a story as my memory for details of the dim past is foggy at best. When I was 18 my Grandfather gave me his Dad's 1886 Winchester 45/70. In the ensuing years I have taken a few deer 2 Elk and one Blackie in Maine with it. Mind you the last time I used it was 30 years ago. It now resides with my daughter and she has taken several Hog's with it in the past 10 years.
<br>
<br>Yes, I load for it as it is old and I don't trust any thing in it but my ammo. It is still tight as a tick and shoots extreemly well out to 150 yds, even if the tradjectory is more like artillery than a rifle.
<br>
<br>I use a hard cast 300 grn RNFP over 12 grn of unique for about 1250 fps for those interested. The bullet mould is unmarked and throws 3 at a time, it came with the rifle when I got it from Grandpa.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Tee Lee, I love the old 86s. I have a new Winchester 1886 Extra Lightweight. They are putting shotgun style safeties on them now, but it's a really nice little rifle still the same. Unlike a shotgun, you can just ignore the safety entirely, or use it at your discretion. I intend to take it boar hunting next year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

713 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 69 invisible), 3,101 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,583
Posts18,454,227
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.