24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How durable and tough is the Krylon webbing paint?

Is it what is used on all "webbed" stocks?

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure if it's whats used on all stocks, but I've used it on one.

I did mine a little different. I used Brownell's AlumahydeII on the stock, while that was still wet I hit it with the webbing. When the AlumahydeII cured the webbing was TOUGH. I tried to remove some of the webbing where I had gotten it a bit thick just by scratching it off. That didn't work and it would have taken sanding to remove it. I just left it.

ETA: I sold that stock to (I believe) FOsteolgy here on the 'fire. I don't know if he still has it or not, but maybe you could PM him ask how it's still holding up....or if it isn't.

Last edited by BradArnett; 02/11/10.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I do mine like this:

I sand, clean, and de-grease the stock to insure a good foundation for the paint to grip. Everybody knows that good prep is on the critical path to a good outcome.

I spray several light coats of Krylon Flat Camo, Khaki and OD Green are the 2 base colors that I like. Multiple light coats are much less likely to run.

When the base coat is dried, I shoot the Krylon webbing, I like black. It took me awhile to get the "feel" for getting the webbing spray to go where I wanted. I find that for me, doing several short shoots aimed above the stock, so that the webbing has enough space to spread out and fall onto the stock, works best. I practice on a piece of cardboard before each time I do a stock, 'cause I don't do them very often and I am not the best painter around.

When the webbing is dry, I spray a light top coat of Krylon Satin clear coat.

Since this is painted on, rather than molded in, it will scratch and chip if you bump it around, but I've never had the webbing peel or flake off a stock without help.

Spraying the webbing on before the base coat has dried would probably work pretty well, but it might not have as much texture as when it is srayed on a dry base coat.

Jeff

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
To the original question, it's not all the same, I believe Eddie sprays his webbing with cerakote so it's all cerakote no Krylon. I'm pretty sure CAS (Charlie) doesn't use the krylon webbing anymore either, but you'd have to ask him.

On the few stocks that I've done for myself and others using the Krylon webbing, I prep the stock thoroughly and spray the base and then while still wet spray the webbing. Mine have been extremely durable, however, I don' beat my stocks up too much either. I think I get about the same texture either way and I think I get better adhesion spraying the webbing over the wet base, but I've only done maybe a couple of dozen or so stocks.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i use the same technique as 260 remguy uses but i also finnish with a matte clear on the whole stock. be sure to do a practice run on cardboard to kinda develope your technique. ive done five so far and its tough enough unless banged around pretty good. good luck

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good thing is it can all be removed and redone. Touch ups are a snap.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never tried it but wanted to pass on my experience. I was looking for webbing paint last year when I did a stock, ended up going to 13 hobby type store in two states and never found the paint and never found anyone that had ever heard of it. So if you have your heart set on it, you might want to try and locate some first. smile

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Try any automotive stores? Use to be able to get it at a place that sold a lot of custom type stuff for cars. I used it on motorcycles.

Tom

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here's the two places that I know of that generally stock it. I've always gotten it from Joann's, but looks like Mister Art is cheaper.

Joann's

Mister Art

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I ordered it from Joann's. I also put a cloear cot over the top. Has held up great to this point.

Rick
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i got mine from a craft store, but be carefull ordering it online. the first 4oz can i ordered was $3 and cost $15 to ship it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by muzzleblast
i use the same technique as 260 remguy uses but i also finnish with a matte clear on the whole stock. be sure to do a practice run on cardboard to kinda develope your technique. ive done five so far and its tough enough unless banged around pretty good. good luck

Exactly my process too. I buy my webbing paint online from Mister Art.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I do a light coat or two and let it dry. I practice with the webbing on the stock. Everyone of those cans sprays different. Let it get a little heavier in the grip. Then paint over the webbing once dry. Then with the last coat of base wet I web the stock. Gives texture and will not come off. I still finish with Krylon matte sealer. Be careful using other brands. I did my bench gun and the sealer would not set up. It is still tacky and smells like I just did it an hour ago from last summer.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good info, I have one the color of which I hate and want to paint.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I called krylon one day, and they told me the webbing is discontinued, and whatever is in the supply chain is the last of it? Anyone know if they are making it again?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They just won't send it to Canada anymore. /grin

I've got a couple cans of black, would like to have a white.

I've painted and webbed three or four stocks with Krylon, never had an issue with the webbing. Like Karnis said on up the line, it's easy to touch-up.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just checked Amazon.com has Krylon webbing paint in lots of colors available. I'd like to see some pics!
Nathan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
141 members (257 mag, 32_20fan, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 774 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,897
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.