-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was just wondering how the different models and barrels add up.

Are all the models the same configuration and taper? Is the Super Grade a bigger barrel with a heavier taper?

According to their new 2010 catalog the Sporter and the Featherweight rifles way the same confused

Sitting around the table at my house the argument came up that the Featherweight had a lighter contour and would heat up real fast and would not be a great shooter because of its light contoured barrel. I say it is the same as all of the other models. Am I right?

I know, but it's winter and we are reloading and bored.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure about the Super Grade but the featherweight and sporter are different contours on the pre-South Carolina models. Someone on here will know the answer about FN models.

The lighter contour heating up fast and not being accurate is partially BS. It will heat up but a light contour does not automatically mean it will be innaccurate. A good lightweight barrel can be very accurate.

ANYBODY have a featherweight and sporter barrel that can get weights (barrels only) for each?

RH

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
As the other gentlemen mentioned, the contours are different. There's a lot more steel near the shank in the Sporter weight barrel, and if you view a featherweight barrel you'll see the sharp radius just ahead of the receiver.

The featherweights are usually 22 inches, and the Sporter will be 24 inches for standard calibers. The muzzle end is thicker on a Sporter also. I like the featherweight contour with a short action and bolted into a Compact "Edge" McMillan. I'd guess the Sporter is about 8 ounces heavier.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I'll be,

They are not offereing the 25-06 in ANY configuration for 2010.

Glad I got me a FW in 25-06 last year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by himmelrr

ANYBODY have a featherweight and sporter barrel that can get weights (barrels only) for each?

RH

Got both, but I ain't takin' 'em off to weigh 'em. laugh

Supergrade (I have one) is same as a sporter, just better wood, different marking on the barrel & floorplate.

FWIW, the actions are the same, so the difference in weight of the BA's will be how much heavier the sporter barrel is.

You have to weigh them w/o the floorplates as the new ones are 1 piece vs 2 pieces on the old ones........ or weigh 2 old ones or 2 new ones with the floorplates

Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Well I'll be,

Glad I got me a FW in 25-06 last year.

If you want any SC made guns at all, you better get 'em quick.

I talked to my dealer today & he told me the SC contract was only for 2 years & then FN is moving all production to Japan, same as the Browning A & X - borts..............1st I had heard of that but he was EMPHATIC.

MM

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

I talked to my dealer today & he told me the SC contract was only for 2 years & then FN is moving all production to Japan, same as the Browning A & X - borts..............1st I had heard of that but he was EMPHATIC.

MM

Good grief.....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
These things are not selling well at all. There are quite a few for sale on CDNN right now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crap.

I own A- & X-Bolts that are made in Japan and it irks me a little.

I was hoping we'd have Winchester as our own. That sucks.

JM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

Good grief.....

I already have an M70 375 H&H marked "Made In Japan"... (grin).

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (222ND, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.