Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Anyone know the twist rate for a TC New Englander 50 cal? Is this twist rate suitable for round balls or conicals?

Thanks
Ray

BP-B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
1 in 48, it will work with both..but not always optimal with either.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Well thats good to know. Would one have any advantage over the other out the 1 in 48 twist? Which would I be better off with trying first?
Thanks for the information.
Ray

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
For a long time my state required patched round ball and I found that the keys were a very tight patch fit and a moderate powder charge. I tink that heavy charges caused the ball to strip the rifling.

When NY lifted the PR reguirement I switched to one of the lighter weight TC maxi hunters with very good results.

I wish I could give you exact load data but this was 20 years ago. I mostly shot Pyrodex RS although I did briefly expriment with some 2F Goex.

I did shoot 3-4 deer with the round balls, but I have two that I recovered. They were ok deer killers but not really optimum as I don't think they penatrate that well, but good enough.

The Maxi Hunters I used for several seasons until inlines became legal and I switched again. They were always thu and thu even on shoulder shots, Only bad thing was a touch more recoil. In my btwo TC's ( a new englander and a 54 cal renagade) I could shoot some heavy podwer charges behind the maxi's with good accuracy.

If it were me I would start with the maxi hunters, as they have less variables.. basically just powder charge.

For patched round balls, I would choose one size of roundball and try two thickness of patches. . I ended up using the TC natural wonder lube though YMMV. Between powder charges, patch thickness (and different lubes if you so choose) there are many many variables to play with with a round ball. When you add in how long it takes to load/shoot/clean the muzzleloader you can spend some serious range time, which can be good or not depending on your goals.

best of luck

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My favorite bullet in a 1-48 twist was the Lee REAL bullet. They were easy to load and shot extremely well. They seem to have fallen out of favor with the newer fast twist sabot guns. A friend of mine cast them for me. I haven't seen any on dealer shelves in a while.

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks for the information. I will pick up some round balls with various patches and some Maxi balls. I have two New Englanders so my goal is to have one patched round ball and the other Maxi balls. We will see how it goes.
Thanks again
Ray

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

B
B
Hey Leon, or anyone else who uses the Lee Real. Do they have to be lubed? have some but never used them. Want to shoot them in an old H&R .45 Huntsman. Thanks for your time.

Live Long and Prosper, Bruce
NRA Life Member
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks for the chart Hawken, that will come in handy.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shoot a T/C New Englander in .54 caliber using 80 gr. of FFFg and a patched round ball.My accuracy is excellent with this load.When I originally got the rifle I tried sabots but got lousy accuracy.I'm sure each rifle may vary but that is what worked for me.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Stan I have had the same problem with the sabots. Thats what I was trying to shoot and could not hit the broad side of a barn.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Hey Leon, or anyone else who uses the Lee Real. Do they have to be lubed?"

bj41841,

Yes they should be lubed. I use either young Country #103/beeswax mix, but have also used TC's lube w/ beeswax...prefer the Young Country Lube over TC's...as I'm not too keen on the odor of the TC Lube.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
466 members (160user, 1Longbow, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,017 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.