Print Thread
Hop To
M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I haven't been following this site closely and don't know if it's been discussed, but could this be a new breath of life for the 88.<BR> Is it possible? Is there a market? Can we talk Winchester into it??<BR> Think of the possibilities, a.284 WSM up through the .416 WSM. <BR> This could make "possibly" the best lever rifle even better!! -memtb<P><BR>

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think that that rifle was designed to take the pressures of these new rounds. Sean

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
E
E
In an article ('Favorite Lever Guns and Their Loads') in 'Lever Guns' by 'Rifle' magazine, Layne Simpson discribes the Model 88. It had a bolt with three rotating lugs that locked into a set of recesses in the front of the receiver. It was chambered for the .243 Win, the .308 Win, the .358 Win and the.284 Win.<BR> I'm not sure what the .300 SWM pressure levels run to, but I'm thinking these four rounds are considered modern high intensity cartridges.<P>El Lobo in NM<BR>

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have read that the WSM is like a standard magnum 65,000 psi max whereas a .308 Win has a high load in my Hogdon manual of 57,000 psi +/-. Sean<P>------------------<BR>Ask me about microwaving cats for fun and profit!

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The bolt face would have to be opened up to .535", there may not be enough there to do this. There could be a redesign I suppose but then it wouldn't really be an 88. The WSM is fat .555" and probably limits capacity to 2 rounds in a bolt action. Probably would be as limited in a lever as well.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't have SAAMI's maximum pressure for this cartridge. My best GUESS is that it's probably rated at 60,000<BR> lb/sq in. maximum � the pressure maximum of so many modern high-pressure cartridges.<P> I'm extremely leery, at this point, of rechambering any rifle other than a very strong modern bolt-action rifle for<BR> this cartridge, for two reasons:<P> � Enlarging the diameter of the chamber reduces the thickness of the steel around the chamber. The area of the<BR> greatest risk is where the steel is already thinnest � between the chamber and the minor diameter of the barrel<BR> thread (the diameter between the bottom of the thread "V" on one side to the bottom of the "V" directly<BR> opposite). The receiver at this point is an imperfect support for the barrel in terms of its ability to withstand<BR> extremely high pressure without distortion (bulging or bursting).<P> � Increasing the case diameter also increases the FORCE or thrust against the breech at any given peak<BR> pressure. The ratio of increase in force is the ratio of the increase in the net area of the case web (the area of the<BR> case web inside the walls of the case). Pressure is force per square inch. Increase the square-inch figure with the<BR> pressure the same, and simple arithmetic produces that much more force.<P> These are inescapable, irrefutable, real-world facts, not subject to wishful thinking or contrary opinion.<P> For these reasons, I would have no part in rechambering a Winchester Model 88, Browning BLR, Savage Model<BR> 99, or any similar nonbolt-action rifle for such a fat high-pressure cartridge.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks Ken and others; I was "bored out of my mind", down in the back for about a week, and just thinking out loud. Probably shouldn't be putting in posts after midnight!-memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,297
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.