Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

I had the chance to test the Blaser R8 Luxus for some days now. Even if i'm no fan of the R93 i must admit that the R8 with his new and more mecanically safe bolt was effective in my last saturday driven hunt. I don't like the detachable magazine/trigger block because i feel desarmed when it's out of the rifle, at that moment you can't even use it as single shot in case of emergency. Heavier than announced by Blaser the R8 is short 102cm with 58cm barrel, well balanced, easy to carry, accurate, really fast to get in action and to double or triple a shot. The magazine holds one more cartridge than the R93 and it's good for me. That one is in 9,3x62 a real must when shooting running game. Here are some pictures.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dom,

Weidmannsheil. Good stuff.

How does that "throw-away-trigger" (can I claim dibs on the term) gripe you in practise?

I see where they are coming from on the constructural restrains but for practical purposes, I have doubts.

All this w/o having handled the rifle yet.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Very nice pic's Marseille. And, for the open minded, it is a nice looking rifle.

I don't mean to belabor the point here but when you say, "more mechanically safe bolt", in reference to the R93, can you explain that? I mean, I know there were some incident(s) in Europe in the early decade with the R93-the only one I know of was determined by an independent source to be a hand loader's error. Since then, about every type of bolt gun has been turned into shards by someone somewhere by over zealous hand-loading.

The point is this: we can't just continue to look at the R93s bolt and say that looks funky to me; it's unsafe! Where's the proof? Seriously, I'd like to know; where are the incidents?

Is there a physical reason Blaser fortified the bolt, or was it a perception reason?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I find it to be a very attractive looking rifle. However, it would never work for me. I would probably lose that magazine-trigger group which I'm sure is much more expensive to replace than the typical removable magazine.

Also, congratulations on your success.

Last edited by doubletap; 02/16/10.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Neat stuff, Marseille.

Looks like a great rifle, but very expansive crazy

The knife looks like a Cold Steel Trail Master.

Va t'in tch�re !
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah I'd loose that trigger magazine too, and have a useless rifle. But great looking rifle.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Carl,

Trigger is very good, crisp and direct but i don't like to be totally desarmed in the hunting ground while reloading. I think that most french hunters will lock the trigger/magazine block and use the R8 as the R93. I'm known to be able to loose everything so i think i can loose the whole thing too!

Not a single parts is interchangeable with R93 except scope mount and sling

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Goodnews,

Yes they were accidents with R93 and Blaser always saved his bacon saying it was handloaded cartridges, but in october 2009 a spanish guy was wounded using Remington Safari Grade. The fact his that with a Mauser or Mauser clone action, Sako or Weatherby one, it's impossible to have the bold blown rearward out of the receiver. It's possible with R93. With the R8 the bolt and bolt carrier are a lot stronger than with the 93. The angle of the radial locks is different, the locks are larger and open a bit wider. The bolt is securily locked in the bolt sleeve and there a sort of security lock formed by the "sear" (if i can use that term). After the firing pin is launched and the cartridge fired that piece pivot and stand against the steel block that is a the rear of the receiver. Only pulling the bolt lever unlock them.
So even if i'm not a great fan of the 93 i'm obliged to say that the R8 is a good evolution, and much safer than the old model. All the part are treated against corrosion or use inox steel, corrosion was the problem solved in 2003 by realling and changing the trigger block of 93. If was able to fire out of battery.
[Linked Image]
R93 bolt and tansporter above, R8 under

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hi GV,

yes it's a first model Trail Master in Carbon V, i use it to dispatch wounded (or not) wild boars kept at bay by dogs while tracking. Contrary to some models of concurents it's virtually unbreakable! I'm a great Cold Steel fan and user.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty much my feelings as well. Good stuff, though. They will probably sell a bunch.

I think I stick to my 98 types and the levers.

To each their own.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Marseille, thanks for the explanation of the differences in the R8. It's the first, best explanation I've read. The pic is also very helpful in seeing the differences.

Thanks again.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Me too, this one was from the french importer to test, i'll don't keep it. Like my 98 and clones and my 86,71 and 95 from red W.

Dom Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good rundown Marseille and Waidmannsheil on the Frischling. I'm afraid I acquired the R93 disease and have too much invested to be overly interested in the R8. They are nice rifles, I handled one up at Jagd & Hund Expo a couple weeks ago, Dom.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
thanks marseille for this explanation. and clarification.

as CMG i stay with my Ruger and Lever but good to know that in some areas something is new.

see you

Phil

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.