-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Answered a Craigslist ad and came away with a few reloading items including a box of Bronze Tips. An amigo bought the other five boxes. He has never reloaded them nor I. The original price tag on the boxes was $3.48.

Looking for feedback on this bullet.

Thank you and best regards

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are a violent explosive bullet rather like the early Ballistic Tips. Fine for broadside shots on deer sized game where you slip it behind the shoulder. I'd use them on Yotes or other varmints. They are now (I believe) only made in 30 cal 150 gr, so if you have sealed boxes, a Remington collector might lust after them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They were the original long range tipped bullet. All of the "new" and "improved" tipped bullets that are the current rage are copys. smile

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Except that the "new" ones work a lot better on big game.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From the Remington website:

* Core-Lokt Soft Point - Soft point shape provides broad frontal area for high energy impact and rapid expansion. Bullet cores are �Lokt� in place to provide deep penetration. Jackets designed for progressive, reliable expansion to almost twice the original diameter.
* Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point - Spitzer shape profile for improved velocity and flatter trajectory. Bullet cores are mechanically locked in place to provide deep penetration. Jackets designed for progressive, reliable expansion to almost twice the original diameter.
* Bronze Point� Tipped - Introduced by Remington, these were the first bullets to utilize a tipped design. Exceptional long-range performance on medium-sized game. Sleek profile generates flat trajectory. On impact, the bronze tip is driven backward to create rapid, but controlled expansion. Aerodynamic tip for superior long-range ballistics and rapid expansion.
* Power-Lokt� Hollow Point - Another breakthrough from Remington. Power-Lokt delivers unmatched performance for small game and varmint hunting. The thin copper jacket is electrolytically plated to the lead core for near-perfect concentricity and gyroscopic balance. The result? Dead-on, benchrest-type accuracy with instant fragmentation on impact. Plated copper jacket for superior accuracy and instant fragmentation on impact

I believe Remington presently makes the BP bullet only in 27 and 30 calibers, and only in medium game weights. A bullet that's been around as long as the BP doesn't stick around because it's junk. You may prefer others however.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They were developed and marketed specifically for longer range shooting where the velocity had fallen off.

Back in the Jurassic era the standard issue Core-lokt bullets would not expand at longer ranges where the velocity had fallen off past a certain point. Remington addressed this with the bronze point which would open up even at lower velocity. All of their advertisements showed some smiling sheep or mule deer hunter in the mountains and open terrain.

Of course, just like the first Ballistic Tips, people fired them at 3000+ fps MV at targets 50 yards away and complained when they opened too fast.

This is all from memory, btw, I never used them, just remember the ads and the stories. Also FWIW, I just bought close to 200 150 grain 30 caliber BP's from the Classified's here. We'll see how they shoot in a couple of .308's and a trio of '06's.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Back before I found out that you had to have a TTSXAccuInterbond wonder-bullet to kill an ungulate, I shot several elk with 130 grain Bronze Points, fired at around 3000 fps from a 270 Win. They all took a single bullet in the lungs, ran off a short distance, and died. A young bull, an older cow, and a yearling, I believe. While not my first choice these days, they seemed to work just fine.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 7 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 825 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.