Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am about to mount a 4-12x40 scope on a Sako 85 varmint stainless rifle.What do you recommend for a mounting system and ring height?

GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
If you want the best drill and tap the thing and don't look back. If you don't have the stomach for that buy some Low Talley's, they are the best I've used....................547.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I use these,they are the best (and I have tried a few) IMO for your Sako.You could use the low for a 40mm.
http://www.sako.fi/optilockproducts.php?ringmounts

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Talley bases & fixed, screwlock or Q.D's are the best I have used. The Optilock 's are heavy, very expensive & have too many moving parts. THe ultimate would be to have a good gunsmith machine, drill & tap the receiver for regular bases.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Opti-Locks!

WAR EAGLE!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just pulled the back-up scope from my 85 and did a little test.

Took a wooden handled 'kitchen' hammer and gave the rear Optilock about 7 good whacks with the handle to see if it would pop loose. It didn't budge.

I also weighed the set(bases and low rings) and they tipped the scale at 6ozs.

All is fine and good except one of the [bleep] ring inserts cracked when I was taking it off of the scope tube.
I'm sure it'll be fine as there is no place for the insert to go once the rings are tightened down but I still might try to find a replacement set.
Anyone have an idea of where to find some?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
I am about to mount a 4-12x40 scope on a Sako 85 varmint stainless rifle.What do you recommend for a mounting system and ring height?

I really like the Opti-lok "lows".
[Linked Image]

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Look at the Burris dual dove tail bases with Burris signature rings. I use them on a Sako 75 I had built in .338 RUM & they work great with a 4.5-14 Zeiss.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Took a wooden handled 'kitchen' hammer and gave the rear Optilock about 7 good whacks with the handle to see if it would pop loose. It didn't budge.

All is fine and good except one of the [bleep] ring inserts cracked when I was taking it off of the scope tube.
I'm sure it'll be fine as there is no place for the insert to go once the rings are tightened down but I still might try to find a replacement set.

Mine cracked too. If you have 30min to burn call Beretta. They sent mine free but it took several months to get. They were out of stock. Apparently we're not the first people this has happened to. I prefer the Talley's. I think they look better on a Sako.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I tried calling Beretta but never could get ahold of an actual human. Screwed around for 5 minutes on the phone and said the hell with it.

It's really not a big deal, I can't see the insert going anywhere once the rings are snugged up.

I gotta agree, the Talleys look pretty nice.

Thanks anyway.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a pair of Opti Locks lows on my Sako 75 SS in 338 Winchester Mag. Have not moved since installed in 1997, some 13 years go, I zeroed the rifle in at that time and since just check zero before a hunt. 250gr. Nosler Partitons spot on for 100 yards and 225 gr Bullets will strike about an inch and a half high and the 210 gr Nosler Partitions will hit about 2.5 inches high all right at 12 O'clock. Yea they work and work well. Thou I could live with Tally's, those are about as good as it gets these day's.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has anyone tried Leupold Ringmounts? I would use the Opti-locks but the rings only come in low not extra low. The scope is a Leupold 2.5-8x36.

Last edited by hglass; 02/19/10.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone tried Leupold Ringmounts? I would use the Opti-locks but the rings only come in low not extra low. The scope is a Leupold 2.5-8x36.

The Sako low ringmounts are lower than the extra low opti locks with bases.

27mm

http://www.sako.fi/optilockproducts.php?basesrings

28.5mm

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking at the Sako "ring mount", it appears that Sako could make a one-piece base/ring. Something between the base length of the ring mount and the Opti-Lock bases. Trim the dang thing up a bit and they'd have it!!

I don't understand why Sako won't just call me up and consult with me!?? wink

I think Sako makes a less desirable mounting and recoil system in order for other gun companies to sell their rifles!! laugh

WAR EAGLE!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
Looking at the Sako "ring mount", it appears that Sako could make a one-piece base/ring. Something between the base length of the ring mount and the Opti-Lock bases. Trim the dang thing up a bit and they'd have it!!

I don't understand why Sako won't just call me up and consult with me!?? wink

I think Sako makes a less desirable mounting and recoil system in order for other gun companies to sell their rifles!! laugh

sorta like these you mean?

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, that was what I was referring to. Those and the Opti-Lock ring/base set-up. Basically what I envision is something that looks like the ring mounts, but with a little more length at the base like the Talley LW one-piece ring/bases. I don't know if having more contact with the dovetails would make it a stronger platform though.

WAR EAGLE!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Accuflite has the inserts (at least they did about a year ago or so). They are about the only game in town left for the Optilocks. Bend over, though. . .

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by hglass

I've sort of made a study of this. I am now sold on the Leupold QR bases for Sako. When combined with the QR rings, these are Optilock mimics without the inserts. They are lighter and lower too. I've now boxed my Optilocks up and have gone exclusively to these.

Here's a pic of the Leupolds on the top and the Optilocks on the bottom for comparison (its an old pic). In this pic, the Leupold's are on a .375 and the Optilocks on a .308. If you look closely, you'll see the fit to the dovetails are more precise on the Leupolds.

[Linked Image]

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have Leupold mounts and rings on both my Sako 85's , no issues with either.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
Accuflite has the inserts (at least they did about a year ago or so). They are about the only game in town left for the Optilocks. Bend over, though. . .

Huntaria Setters, thanks for the info.

IMHO there is alot of room for improvement in BerettaUSA's operation.

I'm waiting for the day when they make a rifle with a blind mag and receiver similiar to the A7.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 22 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.