Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I have a new favorite gun...grin

Had a 1970s vintage Marlin 1895 long ago (straight grip, micro-groove) but gave it to a friend over 20 years ago. Been wanting to get back in the 45-70 business for a while, and made it happen yesterday.

Went in to Capital Sports in Helena, and found this 1895GBL,
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

18.5" bbl, ballard rifling, 1/20 twist, lami' stock, pistol grip, big loop, decelerator pad, 6-round magazine.

I only needed about 2 seconds to make up my mind.

This morning I loaded up some 405gr hardcast over 16gr Unique for about 1280 fps, 28K lbs-psi (per Quickload). I just took it out in the yard and put a few rounds into a 25 yard target for a function check. Smooth all around.
[Linked Image]

I'll probably plus it up with XS or Skinner sights, but I'm really tickled with this rifle. I didn't even know this was a factory model, didn't see it on the website. But it is out there.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice lookin' rifle. The laminate stock with checkering is very attractive to the eye, and the pistol grip stock, in some people's opinions, including mine, help with recoil. The large loop lever is very practical, especially since it looks like it might be a little on the cool side where you are.

If that thing holds seven rounds, won't that add about 4 pounds in weight? (grin)

I have a standard GG, but before I ever fired it, I replaced the factory rear sight with a Williams FP. I have also replaced the factory stocks with Brockman's laminate stocks, which have a higher comb and a much better recoil pad. This helped calm the recoil considerably.

One thing I did was disable the safety. I don't know your opinion of them on a lever, but I have used levers for 40 years, and have never taken to them on levers. I simply removed the rear stock and tightened the screw that supplies tension to the detent spring until it was bottomed. The safety is still there, and would be functional in a few minutes if so desired.

I took two deer with it this year, and overall, I am very happy with the rifle.

You will enjoy that rifle. Other than the fact that the recoil makes for shorter shooting sessions, I really have a time with mine.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
They're available in 30-30 as well. Marlin doesn't list them, but the GBLs just came out. I put up a post a month or two back about the 1895 and 336 GBLs. I want a 336GBL real bad.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Shane,

Quick! Change hands. You're holding that thing on the wrong side. grin

Nice rifle, BTW.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is one cool looking rifle!

The stainless Marlins with the black pepper laminate never did anything for me, especially the XLR with that long barrel. But that one definitely looks great.

Bet with that short barrel and the way the mag is attached it shoots good, too.

Good score. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shane,

Very nice! I like that better than the stainless version with the tacticool rail on it. I would like to see that that brown laminate stock avaialble on the XLR.

How are the edges on the inside of that large loop lever?

Keith

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
What, still no love for the rail grin ? It looks a lot less silly once the scout scope is mounted.

I do like the look of the GBL. I'm honestly not sure which I would have if they were introduced together. Most likely the first I found in either form.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I want the 30-30 now, but I don't have the $450...damn.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
...How are the edges on the inside of that large loop lever?...

Keith, they are ok, not sharp.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NH K9
What, still no love for the rail grin ? It looks a lot less silly once the scout scope is mounted.

I do like the look of the GBL. I'm honestly not sure which I would have if they were introduced together. Most likely the first I found in either form.

George

George,

Still no love for the rail........

I'll bring my XLR to the Texas hog hunt! grin

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Marlin also has a 1895STBL out. It has a walnut stock w/ pistol grip, stainless steel receiver & bbl and a (BL) big loop.

Just another option for all the 45-70 nuts.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I have a new favorite gun...grin

Had a 1970s vintage Marlin 1895 long ago (straight grip, micro-groove) but gave it to a friend over 20 years ago. Been wanting to get back in the 45-70 business for a while, and made it happen yesterday.

Went in to Capital Sports in Helena, and found this 1895GBL,
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thats a doozy brother, I have a Marlin 357 but want a 4570 for blackpowder at our m/loading club rendevouz
Looks like I found the model. Im sure that hasnt been released too long.i would give my left one to have your backyard, mines too close to town for big bangs like that..

18.5" bbl, ballard rifling, 1/20 twist, lami' stock, pistol grip, big loop, decelerator pad, 6-round magazine.

I only needed about 2 seconds to make up my mind.

This morning I loaded up some 405gr hardcast over 16gr Unique for about 1280 fps, 28K lbs-psi (per Quickload). I just took it out in the yard and put a few rounds into a 25 yard target for a function check. Smooth all around.
[Linked Image]

I'll probably plus it up with XS or Skinner sights, but I'm really tickled with this rifle. I didn't even know this was a factory model, didn't see it on the website. But it is out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are they going to come out with a straight grip big loop lever? I want to retrofit by 1st year GG with the lever, won't need the longer tube as I want to cut the ported section off.

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 02/20/10.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I've done a little tweaking on this rifle. I really considered Skinner or XS irons, but wanted some elevation correction to play at long range. Soooo,

Put a Warne 20 moa picatinny rail on the receiver, mounted a VXIII 1.5-5x20 with turrets in Seekins rings, and removed the iron sights.

Makes a pretty clean package, with enough elevation adjustment to get her out past 500 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shane, there is another option for a rear sight that works nicely. IF you want to shoot medium hard cast (better IMHO), and keep the velocity around 1300, Buff Arms sells a Smith barrel sight. Ladder style similar to an Alexander Henry. Short or long staff. Plenty of adjustment for shooting up to 800 yards. That is one FINE lookin' bullet launcher ya got there!!!!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin Now that is a loony's rifle. A short barreled 45-70 equipped for 500 yard shooting.

Those buffalo herds milling about just out of range again? grin

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'll look into that down the road.

The initial load I've put together is a cast 405gr at about 1250 fps via 16 gr Unique. Im guessing 60-70 moa correction to 500 yards, but haven't tried it yet. Kinda waiting for snow to melt off a bit so I can get out to my favorite shooting spot without getting the truck stuck.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
...Those buffalo herds milling about just out of range again? grin

How'd ya know????.......grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
veddy nice rig!

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Makes a pretty clean package, with enough elevation adjustment to get her out past 500 yards.

[Linked Image]

Shane, I havent seen that since you got the rail and the turret on the 1.5-5...

Eccentric but cool

laugh

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.