Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Jester Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
dvdegeorge
What propellent(s) have you used and how are the FPB's to load? I read somewhere that the Omega bores tend to be tight.
I haven't shot the Omega yet and I saw a used MK 85, stainless (or nickel)/laminated at a dealer. The Knight felt really nice!!
Damn!!!

BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am using BH 209 with FPBs in my Omega with good results. 90 gr of powder has been my elk load and is also fairly flat shooting.

FPBs are not hard to load as long as you understand how they are made. The bullet itself is slightly underbore, but the rear skirt is overbore. Therefore, you really need a short starter with a loading jag made for pointed bullets. You allign the bullet with the short starter on top and give it a wack with your free hand to get it started. By doing that you are custom sizing the bullet to your bore. After that, it takes firm, but not excessive pressure to finish loading it.

You could start it with your ramrod, but you would still need to give it that initial wack to size it. Otherwise, it is hard to get down the barrel

They are real easy to load in a gun with a QLA like the Omega because you don't have to hold them alligned when you start them.

Last edited by txhunter58; 02/24/10.

Venor ergo sum
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have had a lot of success with a .50 Knight Wolverine II (now the Bighorn)385 Hornady Great Plains, and 100 grains of Triple Seven. Ignited by a no. 11 cap. The key to accuracy with my rifle is to foul the barrel first with a normal load. And swab the barrel with a spit patch between shots. It is really accurate and I have killed a lot of animals with it. I also removed the rear sights and mounted a williams peep sight in the rear scope holes. I use a little rem oil in the barrel when I store it over the winter but stay completely away from cleaning the gun with any petroleum based solvent. In fact, I use Simple Green to clean my entire gun and have never had a problem with rust, powder residue, or lead fouling in the past 10 years. I can tell you a horror story of cleaning my rifle with regular Hoppes no. 9 and completely missing a BC blacktail at 30 yards. I couldn't hit a 4X4 target until I burned all the solvent out of the gun which took about 4 shots. That sucked.

Andy

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jester
dvdegeorge
What propellent(s) have you used and how are the FPB's to load? I read somewhere that the Omega bores tend to be tight.
I haven't shot the Omega yet and I saw a used MK 85, stainless (or nickel)/laminated at a dealer. The Knight felt really nice!!
Damn!!!
They shot well with BH209 and 777,loading wasn't a problem either

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I've killed several Colorado elk with T/C 435gr maxi-balls. They are outstanding.

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Can you use PowerBelts in Colorado or are they considered a sabot?
Upgrading to an inline this year always used a TC Renegade .54 with 435 grain Buffalo maxi ball in the past.

J
Jester Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Powerbelts are legal, but from what I've read may not be a top choice.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
The Power Belts have sure killed any elk I have shot with them. Most accurate out of my inline also.Of course so have maxi bals and round balls.Sometimes there is too much gack on what it takes ot actually kill and elk. You put a 1/2 dia hole through an elk and it will die if you hit it in the right place

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Did you use the hollow point or the tipped bullet? What grain in a 50 cal.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Powerbelts will get the job done but you do have to be careful with how much powder you use with them. I've switched over to the Thor conicals but still shoot plenty of powerbelts and will still hunt with them to change things up over the year.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I used the Hollow Point PB. 195 gr weight class.I don't have the box,but I just weighed one

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
746 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 86 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.