Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good example. Instead of a 10# weight, try say a 1# weight with a (for example) 7wt rod in 6 and 9 foot lengths. You'll see the smaller rod is easier to lift the weight with.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I get the feeling you are missing the importance of the vector... The highly fusiform fish follows his nose when the force is directed there. Especially in the small creek scenario being discussed, the longer rod lets you change the fish's angle of attack instantly.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Changing vector? I've fished in narrow spring step-acrpss creeks with short (7.5') rods and long (9')rods and never had too many unusual problems bringing a fish to hand with either. The more pressure you put on a fish, the more you can change his direction, and I think you can do that to a greater extent with a shorter rod. However, you can protect your tippet better with a long rod for the same reason which require inverse thinking: you don't put as much load on a fish. A long rod increases your casting distance, which is also irrelvant in a small stream.

Good thing is, there is room for short rods and long rods. I am not a super-short guy myself, 7.5' is my minimum , but the short ones do have an advantage is some situations.

Last edited by Gene L; 05/10/10.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When 'horsing' largemouth bass out of heavy cover give me a 7' two grip rod over a 5 1/2' pistol grip any day.....dramatic difference with the longer rod.

All American

All the time
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
In addition to having two hands to horse the rod, you're also moving the fulcrum forward with the two-grip rod. So yeah, most any two grip rod is better than a one grip rod regardless of length.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gene
Pretty obvious you are fixated on the wrong answer. Have to believe you will see the difference the first time you get a big fish on a long rod...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But, after horsing fish out of debris with a longer rod the fish is fighting the rod and all that flex, with a short rod the fish is fighting the angler (less flex).

Taken to the extreme, I'd rather play a large fish with a 10' rod, not a 3' rod.

All American

All the time
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Playing a fish and horsing a fish are two different actions. If you're interested in putting a fish in the boat or on the shore, you're better off with a short rod. If you're interested in using a light line or tippet, you're better off with a long rod.

Most bass rods are 6' or so, IIRC. Never seen a 10' bass rod. I think 8' is the maximum length for tournament fishing.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Weather is crappy and I haven't had a line in the water for months. I guess withdrawals took over. "Just because I can" I ordered a Cabela's 5 foot "TQR" for a #2 line.

Most of my fly fishing has been on big open rivers from a boat where backcasting was not too challenging. At least on paper, this seems like a cool little rig for tight brushy creeks.

Anyone have any experience with this rod they can share? I still need to fuel my dreamin' for another 2 months 'til the creeks are legal to fish.

Tom

A 5' 2wt. with a 3wt. WF would be a NICE little rig. I think I shall have to look at that, considering some of the rather tight little mountain streams 'round home.

Thanks for the head's up!

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
I say; "What ever floats your boat". No sense agruing over long vs. short. The whole object to fishing IMHO is to get out and enjoy the outdoors the Good Lord has given us. Fly-fishing in my opinion is the most satisfying way to fish-long or short rod doesn't matter all that much as long as YOU are enjoying the experience. Long and short both have their place according to conditions and needs.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

A 5' 2wt. with a 3wt. WF would be a NICE little rig. I think I shall have to look at that, considering some of the rather tight little mountain streams 'round home.

Thanks for the head's up!

Sean, many moons ago I built a 5' 3 wt. on a fenwick blank for creek fishing...Big Fun!!! grin A 12 incher was a regular rodeo!
Nowadays I use the "big stuff"...6 ft. 3 wts... wink

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've never been a fan of overlining a rod, but if that's your thing, go for it. Overlining slows a rod down considerably and doesn't give a lot in return, IMO.

I've got a 3wt older St. Croix Legend that will chunk a size 14 fly all day. I've got a Teeny 2-3wt line that does a great job, and a 3wt line from LL Bean (goes to show you how much I use it) that is also great.

I built a 6ft 2wt rod from H&H that's great for about 25-30 feet and #16 and higher flies with the Teeny line, which slightly overlines the rod. But I don't use it nearly as often as the 3wt rods I have. Thing about a 2wt is it's not nearly as versitile as a 3 or a 4. You've got to use small flies or you overpower the rod.

When it comes to rod weights, I believe it's not the size of the water but the size of the fly you intend to cast.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Overlining, for short, confined spaces makes very good sense. Load faster, shorter; roll casts easier.

Can't differ with you on fly size being a dictator of size within reason.

But, for natives in tight streams, fly size is normally FAR from the deciding factor. Getting the damned thing there in the first place, however...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Not trying to convert you, but if you're thorwing a 3wt line, why not a 3wt rod?

BTW, I've fished brookies (Natives, where I come from) all my life. They're not particulary hard to fool in my experience, but do require stealth.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Yep, stealth and a delivery to where they are (and not in the damned laurel and azaleas and ironwood and other stuff where they ain't).

Different approaches to the same result.

Figured in GA that brookies were the target in Nawth Gawja.

Not a "smart fish", but a helluva lot of fun and fine eatin'.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a "short" rod but ya gotta see me werk my fly and spinner. grin

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Gene L
Not trying to convert you, but if you're thorwing a 3wt line, why not a 3wt rod?

BTW, I've fished brookies (Natives, where I come from) all my life. They're not particulary hard to fool in my experience, but do require stealth.

True. Not the smartest trout but one over 12" inches requires some stealth when presenting the fly. I love catching brookies. Nothing better than a brookie fried in butter for breakfast. I only keep 1 out of 20 or so to eat. Great little fish

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've got a 3wt older St. Croix Legend that will chunk a size 14 fly all day.

I've got a 13' 7/8 spey rod that will chunk a size 2 articulated 6 inch streamer all day.

Small spaces=roll cast...

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by AKGrayling
I've got a 3wt older St. Croix Legend that will chunk a size 14 fly all day.

I've got a 13' 7/8 spey rod that will chunk a size 2 articulated 6 inch streamer all day.

Small spaces=roll cast...

Yep.

Good to see you back around, Riley.

How's basketball treating you?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Weather is crappy and I haven't had a line in the water for months. I guess withdrawals took over. "Just because I can" I ordered a Cabela's 5 foot "TQR" for a #2 line.

Most of my fly fishing has been on big open rivers from a boat where backcasting was not too challenging. At least on paper, this seems like a cool little rig for tight brushy creeks.

Anyone have any experience with this rod they can share? I still need to fuel my dreamin' for another 2 months 'til the creeks are legal to fish.

Tom

Hey TOM, sounds like a fun rig! What reel and line are you going to run?
I'm currently looking at 3wt 7 footers for upper Rogue/Applegate and some of the small feeders.
I want the very lightest reel to hold minimal or no backing and a wt forward line.
Almost that time now, too!

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.