24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
woods, what is the purpose of a three-groove barrel vs. an arrangement with more grooves?

Texas

"It is just that we should be grateful, not only to those with whose views we may agree, but also to those who have expressed more superficial views; for these also contributed something, by developing before us the powers of thought." Aristotle

BP-B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I may be wrong, but I think a 3 groove barrel creates less friction allowing higher velocities?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Normally the lands are wider on 3-groove bores so the difference isn't as much as one might think.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was deciding on which barrel to order from Pac-Nor, I did a search (that was about a year ago) and the general opinion was that the 3 grooves were supposed to be a little faster like gohip said. Also supposed to last a little longer. I couldn't find any negatives at that time so thought I would try one out.

Hearing a lot of good about 5R barrels now but those weren't being talked about back then.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Gohip,

What was your cartridge overall length with the 270 TSX?

Thanks,

Manny

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I really like my Ruger Alaskan. I replaced the rubber eraser stock with a stock Ruger plastic stock, and it feels much better, and weighs in at just 7-3/4 lbs. I have had more then a few .375 H&H rifles, and have always held them in the highest regard. Since the purchase of my Ruger, I no longer own an H&H. Not that the cartridge is so much better, but simply because the shorter barrel of my Ruger still puts out the ballistics of the longer H&H, and it's much handier in the thick brush that I hunt.
I do like the shorter action better as well; and I CAN chew gum and walk at the same time!
Be careful of those that say 'like what I like, or your an idiot'.

If you want to anger a conservative, 'Lie to him'; if you want to anger a liberal, 'Tell him the truth'!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Hillbilly375,
I have no problem with you or anyone liking a short action. My point was that I feel they are quoting some gun article when they USE "short stroking" the long action or intermediate action as an action flaw! That IS operator incompetence, has nothing to do with the pros and cons of an action. It would, in fact, dismiss the 404, 505, 416 Rem. 458 Lott, and a host of others as useable calibers, if it were a fact.

I like the short, long and intermediate actions, I use them all and I have not problem with any of them. I would suspect most riflemen do as I do.. I am very fond of the 375 Ruger, and 416 Ruger as I stated in the above posts, have built a few of them on custom rifles..

Perhaps I worded it poorly and if so I apoligize and I am sure you can chew gum! smile smile

Last edited by atkinson; 02/26/10.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Hillbilly375
I really like my Ruger Alaskan. I replaced the rubber eraser stock with a stock Ruger plastic stock, and it feels much better, and weighs in at just 7-3/4 lbs. I have had more then a few .375 H&H rifles, and have always held them in the highest regard. Since the purchase of my Ruger, I no longer own an H&H. Not that the cartridge is so much better, but simply because the shorter barrel of my Ruger still puts out the ballistics of the longer H&H, and it's much handier in the thick brush that I hunt.
I do like the shorter action better as well; and I CAN chew gum and walk at the same time!
..........Hillbilly.....I really like my 375 Ruger Alaskan too. So far though, I have yet to replace the Hogue stock after almost 2 years of ownership. Most do not like the Hogue`s oversized palm swells, the oversized pistol grip, the eraser type of feel and some think it`s just ugly (not a safe queen for sure). But for larger hands like mine, this stock works just fine in the field. It`s very grippy in wet weather, extremely durable (designed for punishment) and handles well. Any rifle beauty pageant contests in camps these days??? Nope!

If for any reason later down the road it gives me a reason to replace it, then I will.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hillbilly375,

Ray Atkinson has earned his stripes and is both a curmudgeon (sic?) and a gun knowledge reference. We all need to be reminded to lighten up here. Everyone gets to keep their own opinions and to share them.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Fair enough Mr Atkinson. Was not aware you were peeved with some gunwriters comments on short actions. I myself like all types and lengths of actions, barrels, etc. as they all have their place. I tend to lean quite heavily on the side of the larger bores, as I like the .375s even for 80 lb Deer.
Of the hundred or so hunting rifles I've gone thru in my life, the .375 Ruger has fasinated me the most. . . so far.
The one thing that's still got me boggled, is the vast difference in claimed velocities with this cartridge. Have not put it over a chrono yet, but that is about to change, so will report my findings.
As yourself, I have a fair amount of experience in the field with several hundred head of big game under my belt, taken with quite a few calibers. I have read enough about yourself to know you have plenty of experience to create an opinion when it comes to rifles and calibers as well.
Mr. Atkinson. . . . . it's a pleasure!

If you want to anger a conservative, 'Lie to him'; if you want to anger a liberal, 'Tell him the truth'!
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by Hillbilly375
..........Hillbilly.....I really like my 375 Ruger Alaskan too. So far though, I have yet to replace the Hogue stock after almost 2 years of ownership. Most do not like the Hogue`s oversized palm swells, the oversized pistol grip, the eraser type of feel and some think it`s just ugly (not a safe queen for sure). But for larger hands like mine, this stock works just fine in the field. It`s very grippy in wet weather, extremely durable (designed for punishment) and handles well. Any rifle beauty pageant contests in camps these days??? Nope!

If for any reason later down the road it gives me a reason to replace it, then I will.

No reason to replace it if it fit's you. I liked the Hogue as well for it's soft recoil. I on the other hand have short fingers, so the forend is a little big for me. A stock needs to fit the shooter, or best work will not be done. ALL my shooting buddies raze me for having to chop all my rifle stocks off about an inch for proper fit to my short, stocky build. As far as beauty pageants are concerned, I've found pure function to trump beauty every time. If it fit's, and is functional for the shooter; that IS a beautiful thing. Glad you like your Ruger, and would love to hear about your experiences with it.
Best!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hillbilly375,

Very classy reply

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by mannyspd1
Gohip,

What was your cartridge overall length with the 270 TSX?

Thanks,

Manny

3.340" COL for the 375 ruger
I think 3.590 3.600" COL in the H&H
It can be accurate seated so you can crimp in the groove too, but I've always had the best accuracy seating right to the bottom edge of the crimp groove or just barely less so a sliver of the band of the bullet is showing

I also found that the TSX would would seat deeper in the case while in the magazine from recoil. It needs to be crimped at least a little in the 375 ruger

Last edited by gohip; 02/27/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Update on RL17

BULLET WEIGHT POWDER CHARGE OAL VELOCITY

TSX 270 RL17 74.0 3.285 2552
TSX 270 RL17 74.5 3.285 2564
TSX 270 RL17 75.0 3.285 2578
TSX 270 RL17 75.5 3.285 2564
TSX 270 RL17 76.0 3.285 2572

The load at 75 gr would not have been out of line except for one shot that chrony'd 2605 fps.

Conclusion: got a ways to go with RL17 to get anywhere close to where max would be. Gonna keep going up.

Observation: this 3 groove Pac-Nor was the easiest break-in for me yet and I have Hart, Brux and Douglas barrels. Soak the first patch in Barnes CR-10 and it had carbon only on it, bronze brush 3 times, next patch a little dirty but the 3rd patch was clean. Stopped the clean after every shot on the 3rd shot, stopped the clean every 3 shots after the next 3 and finished the session with no further cleaning.

Observation: 375's are a handful! However it was a cumulative long lasting push and was greatly reduced by my Knoxx stock. About like my 338 win mag was before I rebarreled it to a 338RUM.

It did put out a couple of good groups and shows a lot of promise
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
geezz. 1 full grain 74.5-75.5 the vel is still the same? and 2 full grains only avg. 20 fps more?wow
thats interesting

Last edited by coyotewallace; 02/28/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, kinda makes me think that I am not anywhere near max

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Woods,

Thanks for posting your results so far. I'm looking forward to seeing where you end up-I'm guessing around 79 grains or so.

I noticed your col...how far off the lands are you?

Thanks,

Manny

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With the 270 TSX I am .050" off the lands. If I load the 260 Accubond so I can fit in the magazine I will be close to .200"

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Very good grouping with the RL17. Although it remains to be seen if the RL17 will work as good in the 375 Ruger as it does in the shorty mags for which is was really designed.

Woods! You`re my guinea pig trying RL 17. If it looks promising for you, I`ll try some in mine too.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
BigSqueeze,

I feel the same way about Woods' results-and future results. I have had very good luck with Rel 17 in cartridges from my .270 Win. (four different rifles)to a 300WSM. I stocked up on the stuff when I could get multi-pounds with the same lot number.

I was leaning towards Rel. 15 for the .375 Ruger, but would rather not have to add another powder to my stockpile, if you know what I mean.

Still waiting on my rifle-I just bought it. It is a Ruger .375 Hawkeye Left handed stainless with laminated stock, 20" barrel. It should be here in a week or so, then I have the 10 day wait...so I'd like to have some loads ready to test when the rifle gets out of the gun shop. I'll be putting a Leu. 1.5 X 5 VXIII with heavy duplex on it.

So Woods, keep up the development-I am watching with interest!

Take care,

Manny

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
806 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12308300, 80 invisible), 3,155 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.