Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
There you go Pillshooter! I knew someone had a 500 on a Ruger. The only advantage the CZ has over the Ruger is the mag. box. That's partially due to it being deeper, but it may be wider as well, not sure on that. As to the strength, I doubt that assumption from Schewe would hold up in a lab, but it might.

I have no issue with a CZ. I own a 416 RSM and don't own any CZ's, but would. I'd like a 550 in 9.3x62 or 7x57. I could also like a Lott or bigger on a 550 Magnum. I looked at both before I bought my RSM and the stock on the CZ was "clubby" in a big way, and that's a big statement from a guy who owns a "clubby" RSM.

IMHO, bang for the buck goes to Ruger, even thought the CZ is a fair bit cheaper. To go apples to apples, maybe compare a Safarit Classic to an RSM. You're looking at closer money, but maybe more features on the Ruger still. To each his own. Ford v. Chevy, as Ray pointed out.

David

GB1

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here are some photos sent to me by Jim Dubell that show the mods made to make the 500 Jeffery work. Yes, he did beef up the stock for the additional recoil. Basically I got a British styled 500 Jeffery close to what a nice wood CZ would have cost me. I'm still for the RSM. I was told that this would NEVER work but mine does just fine.

smile

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Schweeeet! I like that straddle floorplate. I'd like to get one for my 416 Rigby.

Three down in the box looks like. What's not to like about that? Well done my friend.

I've been considering a 458 Lott in a RSM, then punch it out to 450 Rigby for chits and giggles. That'd make Lott performance at really low pressures. Maybe unneeded, but I just really like that big Rigby case a lot.

David

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They look nice, but both rifles are too fat, so to speak. Plus, gotta add the scope and the full magazine. Porky indeed. Way too much weight for a 375 H&H.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
I agree on the 375. I think they're about perfect for a 458, but just a touch heavy in 416, but managable. I actually prefer my 416 without scope.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just bought a Ruger in 458 Lott and love it. The barrel itself takes around 8 hours to make and the rest of the rifle is just as finely done. Finished nice on the inside too, the barrel also has a recoil lug in the forearm. Trigger is a snap to fix if you're mechanically inclined at all. I think the Ruger is a lot of gun for the money, but maybe I'm biased. I've also run a lot of shells through it without a bobble so can't find much to complain about. Sure, the rifle might be a little chubby, but that comes in quite handy in a Lott.

`Bring Enough Gun`
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
[Linked Image]

As much as I like my Ruger RSM I will state for the record it is way too large for a 375 H&H. Part of the reason I have a 500 Jeffery and not a 375 H&H is because of this reason. I was scared into buying a 375 H&H as my first big bore by reading several books on Safari Hunting and Rifles. Statements like most people can only handle a 375 H&H or Big Bore recoil is way too much for the average hunter. After I fired the first round in my RSM 375 H&H I knew I had made a BIG MISTAKE in not buying a 416 Rigby which is what I really wanted in the first place. The 458 Lott only came along to warm me up while a waited for the 500 project to come alive. I have fired my RSM 375 H&H which is way too big for the 375 H&H, I own a M70 375 H&H safari Classic CRF again too big a stock for the 375 H&H. I finally settled on my Kimber BGR89 375 H&H which I would advocate as perfect in terms of size and feel for that round. I believe a 375 H&H needs to be a lighter & Trimer rifle than a True BIG BORE so you carry it alot and use it. Don't get me wrong I LIKE recoil so maybe I'm not a good judge of what too much is for someone. But I will state the 500 Jeffery in a 10lb rifle is about as much as I want right now. Sorry to run the thread a little off course but I would say both the CZ and the RSM are too much rifle for the 375 H&H.

Brad smile

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pillshooter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here are some photos sent to me by Jim Dubell that show the mods made to make the 500 Jeffery work. Yes, he did beef up the stock for the additional recoil. Basically I got a British styled 500 Jeffery close to what a nice wood CZ would have cost me. I'm still for the RSM. I was told that this would NEVER work but mine does just fine.

smile

them some big boys

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well said and I agree 100%. RSMs are lovely rifles but way too big and heavy for the medium and mild recoiling 375 H&H.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I sold my cz in 375 for the same reason even after its stock diet. sure, it handled well, but it was still a 10.5 lb 375. i much preferred to shoot it with irons only at 9lbs but even that was a tad heavy. i think about 8.75 may be perfect in this caliber with a good handling stock.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bearstalker
They look nice, but both rifles are too fat, so to speak. Plus, gotta add the scope and the full magazine. Porky indeed. Way too much weight for a 375 H&H.

Chambered for 375, it's a battle of the pigs wink

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
I'be recently decided, with the release of the M77 African in 9.3mm, that my M70 Super Express in 375 is going for a rebore/rechamber to 458 Lott, at some point. Economy has to improve first. My M70 , scoped, weighs right at 11lbs. Right at 10 w/o scope. I figure bored in 458 it'd be right at 10lbs. and If I needed to add a little wieght back, I could.

That combined with my RSM in 416 and the African in 9.3mm should cover anything and everything. Realistically the 458 isn't necessary, but I'll not part with the M70, so might as well make it what I want instead of a piggish 375.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Have you considered pillshooter's solution - rebore the Win M-70 to 500J or 505G? I have a very similar battery of mediums as you, except 404s in place of a 416. Given the very significant overlap in real-world DGR performance between the large medium bores and the 45s, it seems the big step to a 50 would truly complete an African DGR battery.

No implication that the 458 Lott is not definitive - I'll be carrying mine in the Ruger Mk II Magnum in August for elephant with the 404 Ruger African in back up and in the medium bore all-around role - but a 50 is really a step up. Just my 0.02.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had several of each in 416 Rigby, and the Ruger is the superior rifle, IMO. The CZ was lighter, which I liked, but the two I had cracked stocks, even after bedding them. The wrists let go. CZ was Excellent in their warranty repairs, however, and they bedded the new stocks for me.

The first CZ I had was the early version with the hog-back stock, which I prefer. It was the most accurate of the four rifles. As a matter of fact, it was a real tack driver. I Do love set triggers.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've handled Ruger. I've handled CZ. I'm OK with both. But, I love my Whitworth .375 H&H: Mauser action, CRF, beautiful Turkish stock made to fit ME.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X

I've got a feeling that converting the M70 to a .50 would probably require a new barrel, due to the profile. Plus I'm certaing it will require lots of magazine and feeding work. Little more than I want to get into. If I had a RSM that I wasn't happy with, I'd probably do that very thing, convert to .50.

David

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,626
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.