Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
John
It's great that you are back writing for Wolfe. Those were the only guns/hunting magazines worth buying, and when you left they were no longer worth the subscrition price.
I got a subscription offer from them of a free elk target if I subscribed, and sent the offer back to them, explaining that what readers wanted was good content, not free targets. Doubt if anyone caught on, but the fact that you are back there does offer some hope.
I will be renewing my subscriptions now that you are back. My only article request is one on the B-29 Ackley Improved.

Fred

BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My only article request is one on the B-29 Ackley Improved.

I'd like to see a zero freebore version to get the "Laws of Physics" defying free velocity. grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Fred,

I was informed quite firmly after the B-29 article gained so much attention that I would never, ever write anything like that again, partly because the phone lines were tied up for days--and a very high percentage of the callers wanted to know why the letters they sent to various manufacturers mentioned in the article were returned, stamped "Unable to deliver as address." Many of these were to the guy named Ned Nobody.

Would accept as a substitute an article on the .300 Whelen AI?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
No, no that won't do. We'll need an article that really gets to the crux of some serious rifle issues, like why a 280 case necked to 277 caliber will out perform the standard 270, due to increased case capacity, or the correct way to attach sling swivels to counter the rotational torque of a right hand twist, or the statistical probability of a bolt handle coming off when you are being charged by a grassland wolverine in eastern Montana.
And when you are done that article, I'd be quite content to have more mundane articles like the old ones that have been worth saving. The ones like you favorite loads and the update, the article about rodent rifles, factors of accuracy.
Fred

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ok, I suppose I can crank out some boring articles about things like handloads that work, but your idea about the prairie wolverines is more intriguing. I have only shot one wolverine in my life, and that was with a break-action single-shot rifle, so have no experience with bolt handles coming off when wolverines charge. Guess I'll have to go out and find a good wolverine town and shoot a few more.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ann Arbor.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thanks!

And, apparently as a reward from The Hunting Gods, I picked up a Rem. 700 Classic in .250 from the 24hour Classifieds that only weighs 7-1/2 pounds with a 2-7x Leupold Compact, despite the standard medium-weight 24" barrel. Any guesses on how it will shoot?

Just saw this thread for the first time in quite a while. With the barrel floated and a bedding job, mine shoots 75gr Sierras and V-max consistently sub half inch (three shot groups). 100gr NBTs go into .4" while Hornadys average .6". IMR 4320 and RL15 are the powders I've used.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wow! Great news, John. Everyone was "greatly distressed" about your rift with Wolfe. I called and added my two cents, for what that was worth. Let's leave it at I'm very glad your back writing where I can find you.

Marty

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
GREAT news!! I'm looking forward to reading you again in "Rifle" and "Handloader". IMHO they are THE two best shooting mags in print. You, Brian Pearce and Mike Venturino are ALWAYS interesting and informative to read. Brian sold me on the .45 Colt and you confirmed my use of a hunting MV of 2700 FPS, it just flat works. Keep up the good work and thanks for keeping it interesting and fresh. I, and I'm sure I speak for the other readers, really appreciate the hard work that you guys do in order to meet deadlines each month.
Thanks again,
Hal

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In a few months my articles will be appearing again in the Wolfe magazines. We reached a new agreement a couple of weeks ago.

THIS is the BEST news I've heard in quite some time!!!

That's GREAT John!!!

I've held onto my digital subscriptions in the hope that this would happen! smile

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Hi JB,
Just got back from testing some loads in my Rem. pump, '06. I partial re-sized, as in your article. An elder gentleman said that he thought cartridges for pumps should be fully resized.

So.... Partial, or Full sizing on my previously fired brass in my Rem. 7600, pump??

Thanks!! Ken

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ok I like the weatherby also, however, it is not best 30 cal magnum by a long shot. The only advantage it has over the 300 WSM is the ability to push the heavier bullets.

For example it was quoted that the writers weatherby runs the 168 Barnes TTSX at 3269 fps into a 1.5" group using 90 plus grains of powder. Well my 26" 300 WSM happens to run the same 168 TTSX at 3253 into .5 inches and in a much lighter short action gun using 60 plus grains of powder. That is measured over a Oehler 35 with 8ft screen spacing and multiple measurements so no fluke.

So basically same MV for 1/3rd less powder. Now thats efficiancy!

I shoot LR BR and have used both the 300 Weatherby and the 300 WSM. Both are great shooters and very close in accuracy and MV. We routinely run 210 JLK and Bergers at 2950-3000 fps in the WSM. Now the Weatherby will run them 3050-3100 tops.

Plus, mosty importantly I get 2-4x the barrel life in a WSM. Danny Brooks 2008 Shooter of the Year for 1k in IBS won with a WSM that had 4000 rounds in it at the end of the Nationals. NO other 30 cal magnum has ever done that. My first barrel had over 2600 rds before I pulled it and still winning. My weatherby barrels were toast at 1200 rounds max.

Once again the WSM is more efficiant cost wise in components and barrel life.

Is the 300 Weatherby the best magnum, not IMO but still very good.

BH

Last edited by BountyHunter; 04/11/10.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
John,
Check out the July issue of Rifle, especially 'Straight Talk' by Ron Spomer. He really GOOF on the 6.8 SPC big time!! He said it's a "necked up .223 Remington case", and puts little value in the 115 gr. bullet for deer. Read the article for yourself, you have hands on experience with the 6.8 and know what it will do. We're still waiting for your article on the 6.8X43!!!
Hal

W
W
hi could you tell me is there much differents between 45 grain winchester hollow points and 55 grain hollow points i am only shooting foxes

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
JB, I'm new to the campfire so maybe I have missed the topic. What are your thoughts on the 223 and 22-250 for deer and lopes?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
They work.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MD--Bear with me, I know practically nothing about reloading--but I'm curious about a couple of things. I've used the Hornady light mags and thought they were agood round--now they've come out with the "Superformance" ammo. It appears to be about the same as the light-mag without the additional recoil(from what I've read--have not tried them yet). I'm curious in two ways 1) if I pulled the sst bullet out of the super round and substituted a tougher bullet of the same shape and weight--would the bullet perform the same,(mv, energy, traj , etc.) 2) what would be the inherant problems if I stuck in a lighter bullet ( pull a 140g 270 and replace with a 110g 270)? Thanks--Bill

It's the hunt, not the kill.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have the reloading equipment that will allow you to start substituting components why are you not developing your own loads? At your level of experience I don't think it would be wise to start experimenting on your own. For example, in your second question about substituting lighter bullets the powder in the case may not be well suited to the lighter weight of bullet. It might work, but then again it might not and if so, what have you gotten for your efforts?

I think you have to make a choice. Either stick to factory ammo or else get into reloading, read and understand the manuals and develope the experience to tune ammo to your gun.

Just remember, the advice may be worth just what you paid for it. smile

Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTT--for MD or someone who might have an opinion about my questions--Bill

It's the hunt, not the kill.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I read with interest the comments regarding the .257 and .300 Weatherby, several years ago i borrowed a friend's .257WM to deer hunt with and found it to be a really nice rifle and cartridge. Can't say the same thing about the .300WM, that rifle was just plain ornery and kicked the snot out of me every time I squeezed the trigger. My elk rifle is a pre '64 Winchester M/70 which I regularly shoot 275gr. handloads with wo I am acquainted with rifles that kick hard. That .300WM had recoil that I just found to be untolerable, the guy that it belonged to used to get a bloody lip from the thing ramming his thumb into his lip just about every time he fired it. Not my idea of an ideal rifle by a long shot.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
641 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.