-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You would be correct on both counts. A palomino is a color phase not a distinct breed.

"In the United States, some palomino horses are classified as a color breed. However, unlike the Appaloosa or the Friesian, which are distinct breeds that also happen to have a unique color preference, Palomino color breed registries often accept a wide range of breed or type if the animals are properly golden-colored. The Palomino cannot be a true horse breed, however, because palomino color is an incomplete dominant gene and does not breed "true". A palomino crossed with a palomino may result in a palomino about 50% of the time, but could also produce a chestnut (25% probability) or a cremello (25% probability). Thus, palomino is simply a partially expressed color allele and not a set of characteristics that make up a "breed."

A Paint is a recognized breed with an association for them.

I fail to understand why ignorance of easily obtainable facts is endorsed by some in an effort to advance their personal agenda.

Being a keyboard commando and internet bullyboy does not make the man.

Any "larger" 30 caliber from a 300 Savage to a 30-378 Weatherby will kill any big game in the lower 48 if the "nut behind the bolt" is a capable hunter and shooter. Much ado about nothing.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well this is got interesting, from which cartridge for Elk and Deer out to 450 yards or so 30-06 vs the 300 Winchester to some thing about horses or the back side of one. Well 450 yards is getting a bit on the long side, either would do if you can see it and you can dope out drop and more important doping out the wind. There is always going to be trade offs, shootablity vs light enough to carry all day for days on end, after all its hunting not target shooting. That being said, shoot what you what to shoot and leave it at that. As for horses I don't know anything about horses other than I did a little riding when I was a child. So I will not say anything about horses. You could split the difference and go with either a 7mm Remington or 7mm Weatherby and the game would not know the difference and you could build a very nice shootable and carryable rifle to boot.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have yet to meet a deer/antelope/elk I can't get inside 400 yards of. Of course I am handicapped...no noisy ATV to "extend" the range.(GRIN)

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by oldman1942

Being a keyboard commando and internet bullyboy does not make the man.

Great self description.... Finaly something we all can agree on...... Admiting your short comings is the first step to recovery... Congradulations

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
i can attest to the handicap part. to dumb to drive a atv thats why i have to carry his sorry azz around. he's been that way since i kicked him in the head.he never learned a apple a day will keep the hooves a way

IC B2

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
just got back form the range shooting the new 300 win mag

Remington 700 custom shop gun
Shilen match grade barrel
Bushness 4200 Elite 5-15 Target

put 35 rounds thru in four hours

Hornady HPBT 168 gr loaded fairly hot2900-3000 fps inch and a quarter groups

Sierra Matchking 190 gr loaded 2700-2800 fps
three quarter inch groups.

took me about 8 rounds to get dialed in at 100..

no muzzle break, at round 35 i didn't flinch but i darn well knew i was done for the day!

Learned a little bit today

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by idnative1948

I know my eyes aren't up to the task and neither are my knees for a 500 yd shot. I would rather *hunt* into 100-200 range and if I spook it, my bad. After all, that's why we call it hunting for animals instead of shooting for animals.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you aren�t comfortable shooting past 200 yards that�s fine by me.

Some of my easiest hunts resulted in my closest shots and my hardest hunt, a 6 hour stalk, resulted in my longest shot (350 yards) right at the end of shooting light. Although I�ve gotten close enough to reach up and touch belly fur, I don�t buy the suggestion made by some that it is always possible to get closer - often, through no fault of the hunter, it just isn�t.

There were many years when I thought 200 yards was �long range�. It wasn�t until I started shooting at longer ranges that the veil fell from my eyes and I discovered just how close 200 yards really is. These days I regularly shoot clay pigeons at 400 yards, steel gongs at 500 and, lately, clay pigeons and steel gongs at 600 yards. While I try to get close, I�m confident of my ability at longer range, too. In years past I have often come home empty-handed after turning down what I considered �long� shots. Now, if and when the time comes, elk at 500 yards will be more of a chip shot than a problem.

Define �hunting� any way you want, but I suggest that it is a poorly prepared hunter that is incapable of taking shots longer than 200 yards. Being capable but choosing not to do so is a different matter altogether.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldman1942
I have yet to meet a deer/antelope/elk I can't get inside 400 yards of. Of course I am handicapped...no noisy ATV to "extend" the range.(GRIN)

Come hunt the elk migration routes through open sage country with me. The elk often go for miles without stopping and typically end up in another Unit or on private land, safe in either case. You can't catch them in a tail chase so you take the shots that are offered or take a pass.

This was the area where I took my longest shot to date. After 6 hours of �getting closer� I was finally able to take a 350 yard shot right at the end of shooting light. My hunting buddies got nothing.
[Linked Image]

This one I got lucky on � the herd had passed me and turned back around. I ended up with a lasered 213 yard shot with my .45-70. Then they were gone.

[Linked Image]

I got lucky here, too. We watched a herd come off the hills on the horizon. While I was lining up for a 500 yard shot a hunter on another hill took a shot and turned the herd. They came up right in front of me and I ended up with a 40-yard shot (after turning down closer ones). After I took my shot they were quickly over a fence and onto private land.
[Linked Image]

I applaud trying to get closer but sometimes it just isn't possible.

By the way, I don't have an ATV - or horses, either. We do it on foot.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/01/10.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Waders
.30-06

-Additional recoil of the .300 Win Mag not worth it for the slightly increased velocity.
-If you reload: Less powder, cheaper brass for the '06.
-If you don't reload: Much greater selection of factory ammo.
-If you don't reload: Factory ammo is cheaper.
-Regardless if you reload: If you ever need a box of factory ammo, every store that sells ammo will have '06 bullets.
-No belt on the '06.
-Sight in at 200yds and the .300 Win Mag will drop about 40" at 500 yds, and the .30-06 will drop about 47". So the magnum isn't significantly "flatter."

What he said!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i get 3106fps with a 180 outta my 300wm. don't own a 06 what can they do with a 180gr.

With the Hornady Light Mags in 180 grain, you can get 2900 FPS. Handloading will get you close to that (upper 2800's) as well. The new Hornady Superperformance ammo is supposed to give you performance as good or better than the Light Mags, but I havent seen any numbers on it yet.

Last edited by Sandman1; 03/02/10. Reason: add content
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
At safe, attainable-for-everyone speeds, an '06 will reliably run 180's in the mid-low 2800's...

By the same criteria, a 300 WM will run 200's in the upper 2800's...

The 200-gn Accubond (for instance) really drills through wind and will retain velocity and energy better than a 180, as well as penetrating deeper on average.

Whether any of this matters is left as an exercise to the reader. Personally, as I said earlier, I love the 30-06; was shooting mine again today (yesterday too) out to 600+ yards. And I like my 300 WM too, but it's in a heavier rifle set up for long range.

But anyway, a lightweight sporter in 300 win has no appeal to me; it's not enough of a step up from the potent and very shootable '06 to justify the recoil. For the amount of recoil a 300 WM sporter dishes out I'd rather run a .338. Which I do.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd guess that with longer than 22" tubes (on 06's) that one could go to 28 plus. But in the normal 22" tubes I've found that I can get to 2800 and then some if I push it, but I've had to push it harder than I prefer to get there.

When I was younger I'd of pushed it to get there but as I've gotten more mature (aka older) for me it's just not worth it. Give me a LRF, dotz, or turrets and I'll get there just fine without pushing it.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by laker
Which would you pick for deer and elk out to 450 yards? Why would you choose one over the other? Both would be shooting a 180 grain nosler accubond

I use neither today for the game mentioned,but this is mostly because I really don't care for 300 magnum recoil anymore, and decided15-20 years ago that I didn't need the fuss and bother so just continued using a 7mag of some sort for the same things......

That said, a few years back when I wanted a 400-500 yard elk rifle,I built a 300 mag;I actually built several in 300 Win Mag,300 Weatherby,and 300H&H;hunted them all,but my favorite was a H&H-length 300 Winchester with 24" Krieger SS barrel and Brown Precision stock that weighed about 8 pounds all up.With perfectly safe loads it gave 3125-3150 with a 180 gr Partition;and about 3250 with 165 Bitterroots.It was light enough to lug in rough country;recoil(then) was tolerable;it shot flat,and killed elk with impunity.

I also had a 300 Weatherby that would do 3200 easily with a 180...

Bout the same time I had 30/06's and I read of those that would break 2800 with a 180 and safe loads,but never owned any....in any event I could not see the sense in it as I just simplisticly figured ...."why fight for 2800 with an 06 when I could easily get 3100-3200 from a 300 magnum?"

Back then we had no range finders and had to use scope reticle subtension,our instincts, honed through lots of varmint shooting and pacing-off shots,and hours on the range,to determine distances.We became pretty good at it,so we zeroed these flat shooting loads at 300 yards, and (from actual shooting out to 600 yards,not reading bullistic tables)we found that 300 magnums left the 30/06 in the dust with any bullet weight clear out to 600 yards.From a 300 yard zero,these loads were down 8-9" at 400 yards,and 2 feet at 500.....at 600 the bottom post was your aiming point in a fixed 4X scope,where the bullet dropped 4 feet.

Yes Matilda, we could actually kill them that far away without dots,B&C reticles,rangefinders,and other paraphenalia,mostly because we could shoot, knew our rifles,and shot a lot.All this meant was that we were still on hair at 400 yards,and "no" we did not miss them at 70-225 yards because of silly mid-range issues and other trivial nonsense(I never heard of such drivel till I started hanging out on the internet).

(BTW figuring 8-9" of drop to 400 yards is not "holding high and guessing". It is actually rather simple to hold a high shoulder aim point and have the bullet drop handily into the chest cavity.This is simple stuff and requires nothing with a properly zeroed and accurate rifle.There is no "guessing" involved except for the unknowing.....)

So trajectory was important back then(as it is today;I suspect some on here would go apoplectic if the ol' Leica did not give the range reading down to the final inch....many would not know what to do...), and we compared these combo's to lots of others and the big 7's found most favor....everyone dumped the 338's and they became dust collectors and safe queens....in the field I never saw a difference between a 300 with good bullets and a 338.....I left those to the Elmer Keith disciples and just continued to kill stuff, near and far,with the 300's....

I suppose an 06 shooter might get the same things done,but he may have to go to the dots quicker than a good guy with a 300........he will likely kill them just as dead. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 03/02/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good read BobinNH you come from the same ole school I went to. Had my trusty ole daisy BB gun and just hold over a foot and dope 6" for wind and kill a sparrow at 35 yards. Same priciple wer'e just using bigger BB's now.When you shoot 500 BB's a week you can get perdie handy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by laker
Which would you pick for deer and elk out to 450 yards? Why would you choose one over the other? Both would be shooting a 180 grain nosler accubond

I use neither today for the game mentioned,but this is mostly because I really don't care for 300 magnum recoil anymore, and decided15-20 years ago that I didn't need the fuss and bother so just continued using a 7mag of some sort for the same things......

That said, a few years back when I wanted a 400-500 yard elk rifle,I built a 300 mag;I actually built several in 300 Win Mag,300 Weatherby,and 300H&H;hunted them all,but my favorite was a H&H-length 300 Winchester with 24" Krieger SS barrel and Brown Precision stock that weighed about 8 pounds all up.With perfectly safe loads it gave 3125-3150 with a 180 gr Partition;and about 3250 with 165 Bitterroots.It was light enough to lug in rough country;recoil(then) was tolerable;it shot flat,and killed elk with impunity.

I also had a 300 Weatherby that would do 3200 easily with a 180...

Bout the same time I had 30/06's and I read of those that would break 2800 with a 180 and safe loads,but never owned any....in any event I could not see the sense in it as I just simplisticly figured ...."why fight for 2800 with an 06 when I could easily get 3100-3200 from a 300 magnum?"

Back then we had no range finders and had to use scope reticle subtension,our instincts, honed through lots of varmint shooting and pacing-off shots,and hours on the range,to determine distances.We became pretty good at it,so we zeroed these flat shooting loads at 300 yards, and (from actual shooting out to 600 yards,not reading bullistic tables)we found that 300 magnums left the 30/06 in the dust with any bullet weight clear out to 600 yards.From a 300 yard zero,these loads were down 8-9" at 400 yards,and 2 feet at 500.....at 600 the bottom post was your aiming point in a fixed 4X scope,where the bullet dropped 4 feet.

Yes Matilda, we could actually kill them that far away without dots,B&C reticles,rangefinders,and other paraphenalia,mostly because we could shoot, knew our rifles,and shot a lot.All this meant was that we were still on hair at 400 yards,and "no" we did not miss them at 70-225 yards because of silly mid-range issues and other trivial nonsense(I never heard of such drivel till I started hanging out on the internet).

(BTW figuring 8-9" of drop to 400 yards is not "holding high and guessing". It is actually rather simple to hold a high shoulder aim point and have the bullet drop handily into the chest cavity.This is simple stuff and requires nothing with a properly zeroed and accurate rifle.There is no "guessing" involved except for the unknowing.....)

So trajectory was important back then(as it is today;I suspect some on here would go apoplectic if the ol' Leica did not give the range reading down to the final inch....many would not know what to do...), and we compared these combo's to lots of others and the big 7's found most favor....everyone dumped the 338's and they became dust collectors and safe queens....in the field I never saw a difference between a 300 with good bullets and a 338.....I left those to the Elmer Keith disciples and just continued to kill stuff, near and far,with the 300's....

I suppose an 06 shooter might get the same things done,but he may have to go to the dots quicker than a good guy with a 300........he will likely kill them just as dead. smile

I am in awe of you olde-timers. We are truly standing on the shoulders of giants. grin grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Bob,

in my experience, bullet for bullet, best loads from the 06 and the winnie might have as much as 12" difference in POI from a 20 mph crosswind at 400...

deflection is significant with either, but i'll take the speed advantage every time when shooting in open country...

amongst fast .30s the winnie is easily the easiest to load for, and most businesslike cartridge going...
it is easier to find in a properly stocked rifle than the H&H, thereby making it the most user friendly...

i have qualms about trading my old 700, but the new M70 EW makes me itchy...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Waders
.30-06

-Additional recoil of the .300 Win Mag not worth it for the slightly increased velocity.
-If you reload: Less powder, cheaper brass for the '06.
-If you don't reload: Much greater selection of factory ammo.
-If you don't reload: Factory ammo is cheaper.
-Regardless if you reload: If you ever need a box of factory ammo, every store that sells ammo will have '06 bullets.
-No belt on the '06.
-Sight in at 200yds and the .300 Win Mag will drop about 40" at 500 yds, and the .30-06 will drop about 47". So the magnum isn't significantly "flatter."

For me it isn�t so much the increase in velocity, its what that extra velocity does. The .300 WM can add about 125-150 yards to what the .30-06 can do in terms of retained velocity and energy. In other words, at 500 yards the .300 WM will do what the .30-06 will do at 350-375 yards.

Additional recoil? Yes, but still far less than other rifles I own. When I really want to reach out and thump something I grab the .300 WM, not one of my two .30-06�s.

Less powder? Frankly, I don�t care. My .300 WM hunting loads burn about 10.5g to 14.5g more than my .30-06 loads. At worst I�m looking at 482 rounds fired to burn a pound of powder. Since I have other rifles to play with, at the current rate of .300 WM consumption that�s probably about 5-6 years � figure less than $5 per year, nothing I�m going to give a second thought to. Especially since I ***LIKE*** shooting and hunting with the .300WM.

Factory ammo? I ran a couple boxes of Winchester through the rifle when I first got it and didn�t have the dies yet. Don�t really care what the factories offer.

Cheaper factory ammo? As a handloader I don�t care. Apparently a lot of non-handloaders don�t care, either, based on the number that own .300 WM rifles...

Around here (Colorado), any place that has .30-06 hunting ammo is likely to have .300 WM hunting ammo as well.

Never understood the belt thing, although it offends my aesthetic senses. Started reloading for my 7mm RM in 1982 and have never had a problem with the belt.

Like velocity, it isn�t about the drop � its about the extra 125-150 yards you get for a specified level of retained energy or velocity.

As a shooter of a .30-30, .308 Win, two .30-06 and a .300 WM, I recognize they all have their advantages. I shoot steel and clay pigeons at 400, 500 and 600 yards with the everything but the .30-30, and would happily take an antelope at 600 even with the .308 Win. For elk at 600 I�ll take the .300 WM every time.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

I am in awe of you olde-timers. We are truly standing on the shoulders of giants. grin grin

Don't be a wise guy Jeff;here'a a clue....some of my hunting buddies are younger than you! smile

Such cartridges(if they are comfy to shoot)are better today than they were 20-30 years ago;you have better,more accurate bullets, better scopes.I shot yesterday at 600 yards with an S&B Summit that made 600 yards seem like childs play from the standpoint of being able to see.

And you can have MOA rifles right outta the box that used to take us the better part of a year to put together.

Either the 30/06 or 300 mags are just great cartridges that, with todays scopes and LRF's will take a guy a pretty long way and both will do the job up close. The 30/06 is not chump change.I love mine!

Last edited by BobinNH; 03/03/10.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
John, I don't doubt the wind issue.....there are folks here who know what they are doing in wind,but I can't claim to be one of them.I know enough, though,to stay off the trigger in a full value wind at long range.

I have seen wind do some funky things to bullets when hunting and shooting out west.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30/06 unless i knew the shot would be over 500 yards

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

412 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 37 invisible), 1,940 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.