Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
NC35rem Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone on the Fire familiar/have first hand experience with either of these NC Wildlife Game Lands?

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NC35rem
Anyone on the Fire familiar/have first hand experience with either of these NC Wildlife Game Lands?

I was in a hunting club in the Green Swamp coupla years back, lots of deer and bear.
It's wet as you might guess, hence the "swamp" part.
4X4 is a must, even the best roads are iffy.
Lots of planted pine farms with good shooting lanes.
What parts are you looking at?

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
NC35rem Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
NC Wildlife recently added the Juniper Creek tract - some of which is directly across hwy 211 from the Green Swamp Game Lands. Several thousands of acres of swamp, hardwoods, pines, etc. It looks promising and BIG; it also is a six day/wk area with the max doe season. I'm just trying to justify the almost 2 hr. ride and don't want to show up and find 150 hunters with hounds. That's one of the problems I run into trying to hunt the Sandhills Game Lands. . .

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't been in the Juniper Creek area. The club I was in was on Warehouser (ha ha spell check wants to change that to whorehouse) land just north of the Green Swamp game land but the terrain is the same.
I seriously doubt you will find it crowded. I will ask a fellow at work tomorrow about it, he lives out there.
Problem is if it's a good drive away scouting would be a problem.
I haven't even checked but is camping allowed?
Might be your only choice, camp, scout and then hunt.
Anything else closer to ya, Angola Bay, Holly Shelter?

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I am not sure how good the road access is to the Green Swamp Game Lands. I am in a club NE of there where there are plenty of logging roads that provide good access. We run dogs but also hunt without them. There are plenty of deer.

edit: It looks as if Juniper Creek has fairly good road access. The N.C. Wildlife site has maps that show the roads fairly well.

Last edited by Notropis; 11/30/09.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The interactive maps are cool aren't they?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Way Cool!!

NC35rem Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the input. . .

The interactive maps are what caught my attention. That site states that camping is not allowed at Juniper Creek, but there has been discussion of adding a campground in the future according to some other notes/articles I've read. I'll probably make a squirrel hunting trip after deer season to begin scouting for next year.

Still, if anyone out there has some info on where the best access is, etc. . .

C
C
anyone have any knowledge (population, hunting pressure, favorite type of terrian, etc.) of Turkey hunting in the Green Swamp area? I am familar with turkey hunting in the Western part of NC but hunting down East is new to me. If anyone is willing to share or point me to some online articles of Eastern (Green Swamp area) NC I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks for the help!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,693
Posts18,456,598
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.