Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kevnbro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Fellers- yet another post with a photo I previously posted regarding the d/t'd receiver of my (now ID'd- thanks guys) 1952 Model 99EG.
I just acquired a Lyman 4x All American that I thought would be a nice addition to my rifle. As stated in a previous post, I will likely hunt with the iron sights next season just for the experience but an inexpensive option (the Lyman) presented itself and I jumped on it. Hopefully, the scope is being packaged and shipped as we speak but now I need some advice on mounting it, ie. base/rings etc. I'm re-posting the photo just to again show the location of the mount holes which I imagine are pretty standard. I'd also be curious to know some dates on this particular scope- online research didn't offer up much info. but was it a common and popular scope in the 50's? Earlier? Later? I'll likely acquire a more modern scope in the future but wanted to match the rifle to a scope of the day. Any and all advice is of course welcome. I just want to make sure I at least sound like I know what I'm talking about whenever I show-off my rifle to any of my (likely to be jealous) friends. smile

You all have been a great resource. Thanks! Kev

http://img535.imageshack.us/i/savageo.jpg/

I'm Kev

<---He's Grady. Australian Shepherd... aka. Super-G.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Base shouldn't be a problem but who makes 7/8" rings for the alaskan tube?

Oops, I see Redfield and Weaver both made 7/8" rings back in the day, not sure if they still do.

Last edited by mad_dog; 03/05/10.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have seen them on ebay. Picked up a set just in case.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Base shouldn't be a problem but who makes 7/8" rings for the alaskan tube?

Oops, I see Redfield and Weaver both made 7/8" rings back in the day, not sure if they still do.

Joe, I think the "All American" was only made in a 1" configuration.

Kevin,

In it's day, Lyman quality was right up there with Leupold. I have dumped all of my Weaver and converted to Lyman. For my money they are a better choice. YMMV!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh man I need my coffee, I thought we were talking Alaskan......

Brainfart, sorry, carry on, nothing to see here.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I need a hell of alot more than coffee most of the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Kevnbro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've had my coffee and hope you get yours soon mad dog- regardless, thanks for the quick reply. So I understand I need to pursue 1" rings.

I'm Kev

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dad bought a new commercial fn mauser in 1954 or 55 that had a new Lyman All American 4x with a post and crosshair reticle. It does not have a centered reticle. I have seen pictures of later models that have "fully centered reticle" on them. It was installed with Weaver mounts. 1" tube.

Hope this helps somewhat to date the scope.

fish head

Kevnbro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks fish head (why does that sound strange?). wink
I've heard/read much talk about Savage 99's with older Lyman scopes and that's what inspired pursuing it. It was listed in "good condition" with a few scratches due to age which I expected. Regardless, I get a scope that will work and look good doing it for under $50.00.

I'm Kev

Kevnbro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Here's the seller description by the way.
"great vintage scope for that savage 99 or winchester 88, good condition with small scratches as any older vintage hunting scope would have. clear optics with clean straight crosshair. Lyman all american 4x scope".

I'm Kev

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The All American should be 1" rings the Alaskan was 7/8 rings and some of the Challangers were 26MM rings, Lyman scopes are nice i have them on almost all my guns!
John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Kevnbro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My All American arrived in the mail today! Clean, no scratches, crisp crosshairs and clean lenses. Some mounts and rings and I'll be ready to mount and sight the .300 in for next Arkansas' modern gun whitetail season. OR, do I hunt the Redfield model 70 iron sights?? Decisions, decisions. grin

I'm Kev

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
370 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 38 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.