Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bryant Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Got any suggestions on good backpacking/elk hunting boots?

First rifle season north west colorado.

I was think about these.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...dex&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

Do you think i need insulated boots?

Last edited by Bryant; 03/02/10.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes you will need 400 gr insulated boots.

I recommend Kenetrek Boots of Montana, Mountain Extremes

www.kenetrek.com

Save money in other places, but not on boots!!!!!!!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have two pair I switch between, depending on weather. Fortunately, they're the same boot, one insulated and the other uninsulated.

This is the closest I see to the pairs I purchased years ago. Made for Cabela's by Meindl, they are well worth the price.

Cabela's Boot

I hunt second season in Colorado, and am glad when I can drag along two pairs of boots. By varying my socks, I can keep my feet comfortable and warm/cool as needed. Lots of hiking planned, I tend to wear the uninsulated boots with heavy socks early in the morning, switching to lighter socks, or just polypro sock liners, changing back as it cools down in the evening.

If I am relegated to only one pair of boots, then yes I do opt for my 400g insulated pair, not quite warm enough to be uncomfortable on the long hikes in warm weather, but just warm enough with heavy wool socks to make long stands an option in cooler weather.

Mule Deer likes to say, "Good optics cost nothing and weigh nothing," well, I find that to be doubly true for boots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My two main pair of boots are both Kenetrek brand. I wear the Hardscrabbles during the spring and fall and when it begins to cool off (Nov) I go for the Mtn Extreme 400's.

And the gators they make are as good as it gets and tough to beat.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This is a better boot for less money.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=83043&cdf=TopSeller

You didn't say where or when you will be hunting. If you will be hunting in Colorado before the 3rd season, insulated boots will be too hot and your feet will sweat and blister. If you will be hunting in November or later, then take a second pair.

No matter what boot you buy, make sure it fits properly.

Use wool/synthetic blend socks with padded soles like Smartwool or Merino wool.

I like OR Crockodiles gaiters.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I usually look at "Backpacker" Magazines boot of the year for the prior year, then watch for them on sale at REI.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
First rifle season this year is Oct16-20. You could have high temps during the day in the 50s or 20s (less likely) in the high country, but I don't hunt with insulated boots. The gore-tex liner provides some insulation and will cause my feed to sweat on warmer days.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I use the Cabelas Canada Hunting boot by Meindl for all my Colorado hunts, whether early season in September or late December. They have 200 Gram Thinsulate and I�ve found them to work well by changing weight of socks based on the time of year. I�ve also used them in Alaska and NWT sheep and caribou hunts. Feet have always stayed dry and comfortable with this system and they are only $269. They are a taller version of what you were looking at. I like the ankle support a taller boots provides for the rough country. I�ve used the same pair on many hunts over the past 15 years. Keep trying to justify a new pair, but the old ones are still in great shape.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a short pair of hikers that are about like high top sneakers with a little more support for warm days and a pair of 10" or 11" Meindl for Cabelas that have either 200 or 400 thinsulate for the cooler days. I like the support of the Meindl but they bruise the ball of my feet, in particular on the way up the mountain. I can't fit new soles in there to solve it. I wear them, but have to wear thicker socks, then usually over heat. I am in the market for a more comfortable pair before next season.

Salmonhead
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's nearly impossible to get the best fit in a boot from simply looking at them on the internet. After ensuring you have truly good quality boots, an excellent fit is equally critical for walking comfort. That means trying a boot on and walking in it (in the store before you buy if possible).

Otherwise, buy a pair online from a retailer who has a good return policy for boots and walk around inside your house to be sure they fit right (going up and down stairs is pretty critical in this process).

For walking/hiking comfort (and stalking/hunting too), one of the most important components of the boot is not visible - the midsole. It's the part of the boot which most determines how stiff it "sole" feels. This is where cheap quality boots cut corners - even though the price may not be cheap.

Reputable hiking boot brands get that way for one reason: Thats all they do. If their boots aren't comfortable and hold up, the word travels fast - especially now with the internet and everyone commenting about their stuff.

I'd agree with KC about the Asolo boots - even though they do have a g-tex liner. Your feet will sweat no matter what and getting "warm" boots is all about having a thick, insulating midsole not these ridiculous 1,000 gram thinsulate, tennis-soled wonder-boots. I've had 'em and compared to my mountaineering boots they're these types of boots biggest waste of money i've ever seen. Don't believe the marketing.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Google Irish Setter 869. Best boot going...light, waterproof, great traction. Taken a pair on every elk hunt I ever went on. No complaints.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1941USMC, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,308
Posts18,468,178
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.