Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 63 1 2 3 4 5 62 63
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
found a couple more bird points yesterday....

[Linked Image]

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Huntsman22:

Recently found a cache of several hundred points of outstanding artifacts. Approx 150 birds, knives & etc. Have no picture posting ability or I would share.

whistle I guess I should tell the complete story. The find was made in an attic where I was buying antiques from an estate. Had bought some from this estate previously and the son of the collector advised at that time his father must have sold the good points. Apparently he had not. Bout had the big one when I pulled the lid off of the first box we found. Great thing about this was most of it was marked what local county that it was found in. Some great stuff, drills and bird points with dalton bases. Four or five nice knives. Was going to sell some to recoup some of my money, but after framing several frames of the best ones, wasn't mutch left to sell. Lucky for me the 50 year old son of the collector is not an artifact person. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
that's one way to find 'em....pics?learn? I did....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
took another walk. only found one....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
on the bird points, read an article a lil while back that they may be misnamed.....seems they found some they could pull DNA off of and it turned out to be that of big game.....someone did some tests on a recently killed deer and found the bird point penetrated alot deeper than what was conventionally thought to be the "big game points"

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
yup. in my area, anything longer than 1" is usually a spearpoint.....

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
When I was a kid in the late 50's and 60's a friends family hunted arrow heads for a hobby. They had many hundreds of them and I have often wondered what became of them. I was up on Hart Mountain (Oregon) with my Grandfather when I was a kid. He stopped the Jeep and said "I bet there's some arrow heads out there", and sure enough a few minutes later he found one. It was about 40 years later that it occurred to me that the old fart probably had it in his pocket all along. I'll never know though. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
An island in Florida that I used to hunt had burial mounds & lots of artifacts. The artifacts belonged to the owners & couldn't be removed or disturbed. The burial mounds formed a rough circle. One can only imagine the Seminoles paddling out to the island in Lake Kissimmee & what type of ceremonies may have been conducted there. The owners allow Indians to visit the burial area, but do not allow the remains to be moved. The owners are very religious & believe the sanctify should be preserved.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
uno mas...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i thought this was about the hindu hiltons that i stay in when i'm working!!!

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Very cool thread. I liked seeing all of the pictures. I haven't found anything walking around in the woods, etc., but in my early days spent a summer studying archaeology in Itasca, MN. A couple of really interesting artifacts that I found included a chalcedony awl that looked exactly like obsidian, a perfect specimen that had a small point on one side and a larger on the other. It was an amazing find for me, especially considering that the tool was used for making different size holes. The other was a copper awl that was not native to the area, which indicated that this tribe had either traded with tribes from the Lake Michigan area (where raw copper was to be found) or that their migration routes took them that far.

I love this stuff, thanks for sharing.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I tried to start a thread about artifacts a while back,but it did not go very far.I just started looking,this year,and have found about 3 dozen.All are surface finds on private property,which I have recieved permission to hunt on.I'll try and post some pics tonight. Lightman

lightman
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A busted point and a busted awl tonight...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
still waiting for YOUR pics, lightman....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"There used to be a private museum just down the road from me called the Idaho Heritage Museum."

Rock Chuck,

I liked that museum, he had quite a collection. I stopped in several times on my way to Florence, Mt (Family). His mother (IIRC), who ran the cash register, spent quite a bit of time telling me their version of the BLM investigation. I often wondered what the rest of the story was. I hope the Government put the artifact are on display somewhere for the public to enjoy.

Huntsman, You've got quite a collection, all I ever found was broken stuff.

Last edited by NevadaDan; 10/13/10.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
[Linked Image]

These are my finds for this year....best my camera will do. Lightman

lightman
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
http://www.loitwoodrelics.com/

Here's a link to a large private collection of Arikara artifacts on 30 display boards dating back to collecting from the 50's. I know at one time it was up for sale.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
sweet !!!!!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Pickins have been slim,lately.I have not found anything in several weeks.All of my places are farm land.Harvest will be over soon,and its been dry enough that they are working up the ground,but we need a rain real bad. Lightman

lightman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No artifacts but Indian related.

Have had a number of 'ol timers tell me that back in the 50's a couple were riding horses on my property and one of them fell partially thru into a hidden cave. According to what I was told, a university supposedly came in and excavated the cave and among other finds found Indian paintings on the walls.

Years later in the 80's, a farmer who lived across the dirt road became worried because local children were playing in the cave and he felt it was unsafe so he took his dozer and pushed field stone over the opening.

Not sure if any of it is true but I've been told by enough different 'ol fellas that my curiosity makes me wonder.

You can see in the following pic where there's field stone that was pushed over this spot. Might be true, might be all talk.

[Linked Image]

Sits right above this spring hole which seems like it would make a good spot.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 63 1 2 3 4 5 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,257
Posts18,467,069
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.