Print Thread
Hop To
R
rock42 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I'm going to try black bear hunting this year. I'm going to use my srh 44 mag. I was wondering how you guys have done with the forty four on black bears and if you have any load data that works pretty good on them. I will also be carrying a rifle with me. I don't know yet quite how I am going to find any bears since I am from pa and they dont' allow baiting or lures of any kind. do black bears respond to predator calls?

"and I ain't got no money but I damn sure got it mad cause I ain't askin nobody for nothing if I can't get it on my own. If you don't like the way I'm livin you just leave this long haired country boy alone"<BR>Charlie Daniels<P>"I got a shotgun a rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank jr.
GB1

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rock42,<BR>try 22gr H110 under a Speer 270gr gold dot.<BR>If your pistol shoots them accurately,the bullet will do the job on your Bear with style,and without the blowup worries of the XTP's that were designed for deer.<BR>As far as the hunting without bait or dogs that sucks man!I honestly can't even help ya there.Post over on the big game board to JJ hack.He's whacked more bears than most folks see in a lifetime,and he's good people to boot!<BR>Good luck to ya!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a Ruger Redhawk (early model) that really likes those 270 gr. slugs. I have shot a few deer with thea and they worked well. I use 296 ( same as h-110) and I also run 22 gr. One of my favorites in the .44 for heavy work, like bears is a cast LBT wfn, in 320 grain. Big tough bullet that cuts a large wound channel and has deep penetration. My gun shoots these big slugs well, but they don,t have the trajectory of the 270's and drop a bit more at longer ranges. But then most bear hunting is a close range anyway. I believe either one will suit the purpose. Lonerider

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bret,<P>Bears do indeed respond to pradator calls. I would want a lot of calling experience under my belt with coyotes, foxes, bobcats ect. before attempting bears. If you screw up with a coyote or bobcat, they may run up your back and give you a thrill. They are however, quick to recognize their mistake and depart. A bear may not figure it out untill he has ahold of you. <P> I've been close to black bears twice while deer hunting. The first one would have walked right over me if I had not seen him first and made enough noise to get his attention (tapped my ring finger on the rifle stock several times). He was within 20 yds and watching his own feet as he walked. He had no idea I was anywhere around. He was making absolutely no noise as he came. He eventually raised his head and stared at me a few seconds then lit out up over the ridge.<P>Bear number 2 happened this past deer season (see a pattern developing here?) This time I had a bear tag on board so things went a little different. I was still hunting along a well used trail. It was very quiet going because all the debre was warn off the path. I didn't see tracks, but could not miss the droppings along the trail. I use a binocular a lot while hunting and soon spotted him 30 yds off the trail busy munching acorns in some thick dead falls. I positioned myself where I thought he might come out to rejoin the trail and waited. He worked his way up through the tangles giving me opportunities to see him from time to time, but not enough for a shot. My plan to intercept the bear worked a bit better then I had planned. He broke cover and slowly made his way to the trail hunting acorns as he went. I was sitting in camo in plain sight on the trail 10 yds from him. He raised his head and looked right at me ( I was watching through the scope by this time). I watched his expression. It never chainged. He was quartering to my right so my first shot broke was his right shoulder. He was now a very hurt, angery bear thrashing around on the ground vocalizing like you wouldn't believe. Shot #2 was the base of the skull (an accident, he was moving around so much I just covered the shoulder area with the reticle and fired). He was dead about 4 seconds after the first shot. <P>Two bear experiences do not make me an expert. JJ, and others here have seen hunderds of bears killed. Maybe they will add there ideas. As for me, I prefer to ambush them unawairs. I don't want them hunting me!!<P>Best of luck to you,(can't get the spell checker to work so excuse the errors)<P>------------------<BR>Rick

Rick

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
rock42,<P>I am from PA too. Bear season here is pretty much a hit or miss thing. The idea is to find an area where bear are active and still hunt. If there are not other hunters in the area, you are probably in for a long day. My cousin and uncle both got bear last fall, but they were in the Kettle Creek area in Potter County with a lot of other hunters who pushed the bear to them - sort of like hunting with dogs, but using humans instead ;-). You definately do not want to get involved with baiting in PA. The PGC really looks down on that. They will arrest you for hunting any where near bait - even if you did not put it there and were not aware of its existence. <P>Some guys really put their time in on preseason scouting, and it can pay off. A neighboring camp actualy took 5 bears last year (total of 8 guys in camp). They find an area where the bear are active, and then drive those areas relentlessly. Pays off for them sometimes, but there are no guarantees. <P>Good luck!

Stush
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Use Buffalo Bore ammo it is a little expensive, but you WILL be happy about results!!!

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I have shot perhaps 6 blacks with the .44mag all at under 25m. Through the shoulder or the side of the head, sometimes both. I know the shoulder shot works well to 25m anyway, Ive never shot one over that distance with a pistol as these were all problem bears. Bears certainly do come to a call. The fawn bleet or calf moose call is the best in spring, especially along rivers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,903 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,549
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.