Print Thread
Hop To
B
BornAK Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
As a California resident, I had to make some fast decisions on handguns before the first of this year. For those who don't know, there's a red-tape/corrupt system set up as of January 1, 2001 that keeps residents from buying guns that aren't on an approved list. Supposedly, these guns were subjected to "safety" drop testing, although it seems as if now the testing may have gone by the wayside, and they're just gouging the manufacturers for the testing fee. I'm happy with the guns I got: A Taurus .38 special (model 85) snubnose stainless for home defense and a Browning BuckMark .22. I'm happy to see that they're on the approved list now, although when I got them they weren't. Of course, because it's the government, they felt no need to let people know what they were testing (surprise, surprise!). I would have liked to have chosen guns that definitely aren't being submitted for approval and won't ever be on the list. (That's within the limits of my budget, of course.) Anyway, it just hit me that I may never--as a California resident--be able to buy a Colt Peacemaker .45, since Colt is not playing the approval game--and this single action may not p*** their idiotic drop test anyway. (That's ***uming they're still even doing the test.) The only way I could get one would be to find a private seller who could sell me one through an FFL dealer (that's the one loophole). Yeah, I know, you're going to tell me to move out of California. I can't, and actually, y'all should be glad there are still some of us here keeping the antis from totally taking over. Thanks! Rex

GB1

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
BAK,<P>I feel your pain...I ran out and bought a Contender frame last fall just in case<P>On a good note, I was told this weekend that single actions are exempted from the testing. It makes sense, because I have been watching the list since back in December and never saw one SA on it.<P>I sounds like you already have seen the list, but here's the address anyway FYI:<BR><A HREF="http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/certlist.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/certlist.htm</A><P>Maybe someday we can all move out of this POS state...<P>Neil

B
BornAK Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Neil: Thanks for the info. It's so hard to keep on track of what's going on in this state. I swear that they make it needlessly complex. Thanks, Rex

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 35 invisible), 1,950 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,432
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.