Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How can I remove this superficial scratch/mark on brushed aluminum? I can see the brushed striations in the scratch. I thought of using Fritz with either a cloth, my finger or a buffing brush on a dremel. Or gently use emery cloth.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by FAIRCHASE2007; 03/12/10.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
0000 steel wool in same direction as the brush marks.

We in the trade call that "the idiot scratch" BTW.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T LEE
0000 steel wool in same direction as the brush marks.

We in the trade call that "the idiot scratch" BTW.

Thanks, I will try that AND I have no problem being called an "idiot" on this one frown

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I do it all the time ...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually recommend the green Scotch Brite pads, and like T LEE said, rub in the right direction. If the scratch is really bad and neither the steel wool or the Scotch Brite doesn't work, then a few swipes with 600 grit wet & dry sand paper.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In all likelihood any buffing in that finish with either steel wool or scotchbrite will not exactly match the finish.........those are really the only viable options to fix the spot but may require you to blend the finish into a larger area.

Tip: go slowly with minimum pressure.

MM

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Are you sure that is aluminum? The pistol looks like an Eclipse and they are stainless. If it is, I don't think scotchbrite or anything similar will get it out of stainless. I'd just leave it alone.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is that an Eclipse? Are you sure it's an aluminum frame?

The first thing I would check is if the 'scratch' looks like it does due to the black finish on the slide release rubbing off on the frame.

Secondly, if you have to deal with the scratch, fix the scratch first. Don't wander around the frame trying to get things to blend in until the scratch is dealt with. Hold a small piece of fine steel wool in a tweezers and wipe/buff with the grain in a small an area as possible. Use gun oil or WD-40 for a lube. Once you remove any 'black' from the scratch and break the edges you might find that's good enough.

If you need to expand the area to blend things in, box the area in with masking tape. It's too easy to wander otherwise.

Take you time - that scratch would take me an hour at least. I'd walk away every ten minutes or so to reinforce my patience and to get a fresh look at the progress - less is more.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyD
Are you sure that is aluminum? The pistol looks like an Eclipse and they are stainless.

I guess I shouldn't have answered the phone while typing my reply. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you sure that is aluminum? The pistol looks like an Eclipse and they are stainless. If it is, I don't think scotchbrite or anything similar will get it out of stainless. I'd just leave it alone.
Actually Scotch Brite or 600 wet & dry will work very well. Scotch Brite works very well on Colt's Stainless which has a higher polish, so the 600 grit will probably work best on this particular gun.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I usually recommend the green Scotch Brite pads, and like T LEE said, rub in the right direction. If the scratch is really bad and neither the steel wool or the Scotch Brite doesn't work, then a few swipes with 600 grit wet & dry sand paper.

After getting a workout using the 0000 wool and not getting anywhere, I had to use 600 grit wet and then the 0000 wool and it work pretty good. The area is just a little more "shiny" but you need to have the light hit it just right. Anyone who did not know the scratch was there would not notice the area. I think I will use the 600 grit again and then 000 wool until it looks perfect (or close). I guest that is the nice thing about brushed stainless steel/aluminum ..... with a little patience and knowhow, you can fix the booboos.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

It is the Eclipse Pro II, the frame is aluminum and the slide is stainless.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JOG
Is that an Eclipse? Are you sure it's an aluminum frame?

The first thing I would check is if the 'scratch' looks like it does due to the black finish on the slide release rubbing off on the frame.

Secondly, if you have to deal with the scratch, fix the scratch first. Don't wander around the frame trying to get things to blend in until the scratch is dealt with. Hold a small piece of fine steel wool in a tweezers and wipe/buff with the grain in a small an area as possible. Use gun oil or WD-40 for a lube. Once you remove any 'black' from the scratch and break the edges you might find that's good enough.

If you need to expand the area to blend things in, box the area in with masking tape. It's too easy to wander otherwise.

Take you time - that scratch would take me an hour at least. I'd walk away every ten minutes or so to reinforce my patience and to get a fresh look at the progress - less is more.

The scratch happened when I was putting the slide stop back in and it is a little tricky pushing in the plunger at the same time. The scratch only appears black in the picture. It looks pretty good now (hardly noticeable) and yes, I have an hour into it not counting breaks .......... and less is more wink

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FAIRCHASE2007

It is the Eclipse Pro II, the frame is aluminum and the slide is stainless.

Are you double sure? wink

Eclipse Pro II

You need to post a new photo so we can be overly critical of your work. Don't take all the fun out of this for us...lot's of folks have done the same thing at least once.

I, of course, never have. However, I picked up four or five Pachmayr Widgets just in case. Yeah right, that's the ticket. blush

Pachmayr Widget

Designed to depress the 1911 plunger tube spring, simplifying assembly and disassembly. Also helps avoid scratching the frame when installing a slide release.

Robert Frost
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Actually Scotch Brite or 600 wet & dry will work very well. Scotch Brite works very well on Colt's Stainless which has a higher polish, so the 600 grit will probably work best on this particular gun.
Good to know. I never would have thunk it.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you push the lever straight in rather than starting at the trigger guard and rotating up the scratch won't happen. Not being a smartazz but that is how that happens.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You need to post a new photo so we can be overly critical of your work. Don't take all the fun out of this for us...lot's of folks have done the same thing at least once.

I had disassembled this Kimber several times wo/any problems but the last time ..... SCRATCHED!! Kinda like that first scratch on the new car, afer that first one, no real big deal. It turned out pretty good except if the light hits the area just right, it is a little brighter (but I'm anal). I finshed w/00 steelwool.

[Linked Image]

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks good, dang it. wink

Move along folks, nothing to see here...

Robert Frost
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

"SCRATCHES!" ... just another good reason for owning,

Hi-Point Pistols.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Get some holster wear on the pistol and nobody will notice a tiny scratch like that! grin
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

303 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,740
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.