Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I've given up on a web search so maybe someone here can help me with my questions regarding this air rifle?
I bought a used but like new Benjamin/Sheridan Model 397 PA pump up 17 caliber air rifle yesterday.
My questions are:
#1 - How many times should I pump it up for Starling eradication (range 20 to 30 feet)?
#2 - Where should I put lubricating oil - if anywhere?
#3 - I overheard a conversation years ago between airgunners about storing the pump rifles with one pumps worth of air in the mechanism to "save the seals" - is this proper?
Thanks for any advice regarding this Rifle.
I took it out immediately and pumped it up 5 times and shot it. I did this 5 times and it worked very well. This to make sure the Rifle had no internal air leaks or malfunctions.
Its okay as far as I can see.
Thanks again
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well,

I just picked up a Crosman/Sheridan C9A in .20 cal which is the same gun..Mine is in nickle ,though, so I guess that makes it a Silver streak.

As far as the number of pumps goes, I think 6-8 should do it. You are not supposed to pump them over 8 pumps I believe.

And yes, leaving 1-2 pumps worth of air is a good idea to keep the seals pliable.

My system is leave two pumps in it, and then put 6 more in it beofre firing the first shot.

As to lubrication, please note that the hole under the forend is marked "air intake- do not oil" so don't do it.

Really the newer guns have synthetic seals I belive so really just pu a few dropps of lube on the pivot points of the lver and you should be good to go.

As to anything more involved, if you have breakdown etc, MAC-1 distributors in California is THE place to have one of these guns serviced. Tim MacMurray who runs the joint is kind of a crabby cuss at times, but NOBODY in the US knows more about what makes the old pupmers tick than he does..

My new "Silver streak" is going to get a Wllimans made Crosman peep sight bolted onto the right side of the breech- that's what those two holes are for..

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Jim62: Thank you so much for the information!
I was wondering WHAT those two holes were for!
I just shot "clean through" a 7UP can full of water with 5 pumps and the 17 caliber pointy pellet!
And at 20 feet distant I hit real close to the "red cherry" in the center of the 7UP can - I was using this red cherry as an aimpoint.
I am getting excited about "scaring away" the Starlings from my trees once they return here in the spring.
I hope it only takes a few "examples" to make this flock of poopers and nest robbers decide to leave for good.
I will look inot the peep sight option myself.
Thanks again
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,693
Posts18,456,598
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.