Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
J.Y.Jones used a remington 700 30-06, i think, an ADL. what scope, mounts rings ect? what bullets?
i dont own a copy or i would look it up myself. i had to do an interlibrary transfer from FL just to read it.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know what he used, but would think a Ruger M77 Hawkeye/Mk II w/ factory rings and 4x scope, you choose the make, would about do it. .30-06 Springfield of course. Not exotic, but would work quite well.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I know it was a remington model 700 in 3006, I think adl. Dont know scope, and I know he switched bullets depending on whether it was pronghorn or grizzlies.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Funny you bring this up, Ringworm, I was thinking some of the same things yesterday and went as far as to look the book up on Amazon.

I just bought an older 700 ADL .30-06 out of the classifieds and am thinking I need to read the book and see if I can't replicate what Mr. Jones did. Not sure what Jones used, but if it shoots well, I plan to slide my ADL into an Edge (or maybe a B&C TI if I want to save a little) with Talley lightweights and a Leupold 6x36 and hunt. I have spent too much on rifles and not enough on hunting over the last several years.

If I would have done this 10 years ago, I could have made a trip or two to Africa, New Zealand, Sonora and/or Alaska with the money I would have saved on custom rifles that really don't work any better than a factory gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DMM-stick it in a Ti take off and save the cheddar and go forth and fill up an ark or three!

I'd be willing to bet that 99% of what the people from the Fire ever do could be done easily with just such a rig!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In this context I have found Grancel Fitz article in Sports Illustrated very interesting.

Link

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I just might do that, Mark, if I can find a Ti stock. Stocky's has been backordered on the original Tis and I haven't located a take off. But, if I can find one, it would get me into my entire rig (including new stock, scope and mounts) for under $1K, which is attractive.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by cmg
In this context I have found Grancel Fitz article in Sports Illustrated very interesting.

Link

Thanks for the link, there's a lot of wisdom in that story.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I just might do that, Mark, if I can find a Ti stock. Stocky's has been backordered on the original Tis and I haven't located a take off. But, if I can find one, it would get me into my entire rig (including new stock, scope and mounts) for under $1K, which is attractive.

Do you know how long the backorder is? Im building a similar rifle in .270 win. I wanna order onr from them as they have the best price but not if it takes 5 years to get it.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Podunk, check your pm regarding backorder. Don't want to high jack Ringworm's thread any more than I already have in that nobody has exactly answered his question as of yet.

IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Fine read:

My goto: CDLSF ought-six anniversary edition barrelled action purchased on the fire, Ti Alaskan purchased from Stocky's, talleys, vxIII 2.5-8 b&c, alumina rainkote kit, and next generation thrity-ought-six user looking over the top! smile

[Linked Image]

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
im just thumbing throught it again after reading it 8 years ago.

remington 700 adl in 30-06
redfield 2-7 scope and redfield rings

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
i've got jones book and while i didn't get it down for this response, i remember he used partition reloads. 150gr for deer and smaller, 165gr for stuff a little larger, 180gr for still larger stuff, then 220gr for bears and walrus. sometime later during his quest, he switched to just the 165s and 220s i think.

i seemed to remember he had some accuracy issues during his quest, so his smith cut the 22" barrel down to 20". he finished the last several animals with a 20" wood stocked adl.

the is a fellow in texas (don't know if he is still alive) who killed the same animals with his rem 700 bdl 7mm rem mag.

if one had the bucks today, one could probably do the same thing, even with a 700 sps, savage weather warrior, or a m70 ew (among others).

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I got to share a campfire with Chick Donnelly, one of the last gunsmiths to train under Parker Ackley...

I had to ask him what he was using for elk hunting since that is what we were out doing..he indicated that he used ONE gun and ONE gun only for almost all of his hunting..

A Rem 721 he bought new in the early 1950s, chambered in a 30/06.
I asked had he ever had a barrel chambered on it in any different calibers? his answer was NOPE..

He couldn't recall home many different barrels the rifle had worn in his lifetime, but they were all 30/06 barrels... and he had some early Leupold 4 power scope on it as I recall, with a post reticle..

Said it was all he ever needed for any big game hunting.

that is a pretty strong attestment from a guy who could build himself about anything he ever wanted...and of course cost being no object..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Anybody believe it can be done with .270 win?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

For the climax of the hunt, it's not so much what you use, it's the getting there, say 200yds from the critter no matter what critter it is. Once you're there, at that mark, say 200 yds from the critter, any large number of rifles-yes, even some out of a bubble pack from Walmart-will do the job efficiently.

The question you have to ask yourself is, do I enjoy the hunt more or do I enjoy the rifle more or am I somewhere in between, enjoying some aspects of both. Is the rifle just a tool that if it were no more responsive than a fence post or had the beauty of a jack hammer it wouldn't matter-just give me the hunt. Most of us don't fall into that camp.

There are those who'd rather their wondering be limited to no more than their familiar haunts forever if they could carry a tool-a gun-that is a work of art that drew as much attention as their wondrerings or even their destination.

And this has nothing do to with caliber or chambering. The 30-06 will do the job whether out of a bubble pack rifle or a most expensive custom rifle.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sask_Hunter
im just thumbing throught it again after reading it 8 years ago.

remington 700 adl in 30-06
redfield 2-7 scope and redfield rings

i picked up a remington 700 ADL 30-06 yesterday at acadamy sports for $350. I can get a redfield revolution 2-7 for $130 and i'll have todays equal of his set up for less than $500.
thats a common mans rifle if there ever was one. grin

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Anybody believe it can be done with .270 win?

why not, my pick would be a 260 or 7/08.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Originally Posted by cmg

Link

Thanks for the link, there's a lot of wisdom in that story.

Most welcome - did you see the "view this issue feature". Lets one browse the pages. Neat stuff. Picture of the gun there.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My first rifle was an ADL with an oil dipped walnut stock in .270 win. I had dads rifles before but it was the first i bought on my own. With nothin but a trigger adjustment itll shoot .4 inches as long as i do my part. Thatd sure be something to do what jones did or attempt to with a sentimental rifle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
643 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 71 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.