-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
blah, blah, blah....the brat pack just won't STFU.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
and you will? please tell me when.

Still waiting on papers...... Laffin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Oldman1942, take me off ignore so you can read this then put me back on please!!!

What were the distance of your Road killed antelope?? wink

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by oldman1942
Any of you "experts" actually served as a range officer on"sight in day"? Had, you, you would observe that, as I said not 1 in 100 should be shooting at long range.
As for me, the only thing I ever shot beyond 400 yards were 100s of woodchucks back in my "ute".
Being able to make the shot off a bench or bipod at a paper target is FAR different than dealing with real world field conditions and animals who actually (gasp) might not stand still broadside for your ranging, knob twiddling and so on. Very few place (none) I have every hunted have wind flags every 50 yards either.

So you do whatever you want. You have to live with the lost animals, I don't. If you are a hunter, there is not a living deer, elk or antelope that cannot be approached within 400 yards.
If they could not, bowhunters would never kill anything. EOS

The "brat pack" calling me names, hurling childish insults and generally acting like "the last picked at dodgeball", don't change the facts. Sorry.
..................Ok guys!!!! Oldman1942 is now our official,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"HUNTING COP"...................

Hey clown!! Or should it be,,,MR POLICEMAN! The distances from which we shoot our game from, is to be left to "OUR" judgement and "NOT" to yours!!!! BTW! Regardless of my shooting distances, I have never lost an animal.

And as usual Oldman, you always veer off track!! Kill shot distances on game, have nothing to do with serving or not serving as a range officer. An absolutely wonderful,,,,"NOT",,,,comparison there!!!

And when it comes to you, I`ll be happy to be a member of the "brat pack!"

Take care,,,,,,,,,,,,Mr. Deputy Dog!!!!!!!!............... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by oldman1942
blah, blah, blah....the brat pack just won't STFU.

Yep, I'd be willing to bet the old "keyboard commando" wouldn't be willing to tell any of the "brat pack" to STFU to their faces either.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
As someone earlier in this thread alluded to for a particular bullet, find out the minimum recommended impact velocity for the bullet you are considering to determine the maximum effective range with an external ballistics software package that will give you down-range velocities for a given data set (ballistic coefficient, muzzle velocity, altitude, etc.). Some cup-and-core bullets need at least 1900-2000 feet per second velocity at impact to expand reliably, while other bullets need more impact velocity and some require less velocity. Some people think it is a good idea to add a little bit of cushion (safety factor of say 100 fps) to what the bullet manufacturer says is the minimum impact velocity, and I wouldn't disagree with that practice.

If you want to push the envelope, you'll want to measure your muzzle velocity with a chronograph and verify your bullet's ballistic coefficient by shooting at various distances and comparing the drop at the various distances to what is predicted by the external ballistics software for the input parameters (including an accurate measurement of the distance between the center of your bore and the center of your scope).

There are a number of bullets for the .270 that will expand out to a distance of 400-500 yards with typical .270 muzzle velocities, but I suspect the number of bullets from a .270 that will expand reliably past 600 yards is probably pretty small. The Berger VLD is one I would be looking at, as others have mentioned.

Thanks RR this is more or less wahat i planned on doing. I just wanted some other opinions and some personal experience. As of right now Im gonna order some bullets made for longer range expansion and start my testing.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am wondering if oldman1942 is kin to the disappeared hunter1960?

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (160user, 1234, 10ring1, 16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,891
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.