Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Hey buddy if thats the way you feel thats fine. Most of the time i agree with you. Obviously you didnt read my post very well, the hogs are a NUISANCE we arent hog hunting we are hog shooting. I actually said those words. I dont mind an opposing viewpoint or intelligent debate as long as its founded on accurate information.

Last edited by podunkkennels; 03/14/10.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stay in Pelosi land we have enough wounders here without anymore californicators. Where and I how I hunt, even seeing an Elk at 500 yards is rare indeed and I doubt you could carry your 15 pound tactical wannabe POS through the black timber and blowdowns where our Elk live.
Nothing sadder than watching some flatlander show up with his 3000 zing-boom magnum carrying a 8-32x56 scope and watching him miss Elk after Elk at 50-100 yards (where most are killed).
A 30-06 with a 4X scope and a 165-180gr HUNTING bullet will kill any Elk a RESPONSIBLE HUNTER will encounter. EOS

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by oldman1942
You bet it's sarcasm. There isn't 1 hunter in 100 who has any business shooting past 300 yards. If you wanna be a sniper, join the USMC, hunting is about getting as close as you can to insure a sure humane kill, not feeding a "sniper wannabe" ego.

Why are you posting in the "Long Range" section?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Actually my zing boom magnum is an old 700 ADL in .270 win with a prestine oil dipped walnut stock and a nikon 3-9x40 on top. Not to sure how thats a sniper wannabe gun. I live in the thickest nastiest swamps florida has to offer. As to the missing part id put my 700 up against any other out of the box rifle out there. Id even let them pick the ammo for me to shoot, as long as it says .270 win ol faithful will sling it down there.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You bet it's sarcasm. There isn't 1 hunter in 100 who has any business shooting past 300 yards. If you wanna be a sniper, join the USMC, hunting is about getting as close as you can to insure a sure humane kill, not feeding a "sniper wannabe" ego.
................Here we go again with more of Oldman`s "hunting policeman" type of blithering and blathering! He seems to have that trend. Oldman1942 Hunting Police INC???????.....LOL!!!!

However what he won`t tell you, is that he posted a pic of a 300+ yard shot on an animal on another thread,,,which apparently he forgot all about. Another member found that pic, posted it and in the process caught Oldman in some hyprocrisy. You`re not exactly consistent there `Oldman with telling the rest of us how to hunt......LOL!!!!! whistle

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I wonder if oldman1942 knows how the term "Sniper" was coined?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Stay in Pelosi land we have enough wounders here without anymore californicators. Where and I how I hunt, even seeing an Elk at 500 yards is rare indeed and I doubt you could carry your 15 pound tactical wannabe POS through the black timber and blowdowns where our Elk live.
Nothing sadder than watching some flatlander show up with his 3000 zing-boom magnum carrying a 8-32x56 scope and watching him miss Elk after Elk at 50-100 yards (where most are killed).
A 30-06 with a 4X scope and a 165-180gr HUNTING bullet will kill any Elk a RESPONSIBLE HUNTER will encounter. EOS
............I think that YOU and Ms Pelosi would make for an excellent match.

She and her liberal ilk and Constitutional illiterates, wish to be the policemen and policewomen of society, WHILE YOU wish to be a distinguished "hunting policeman" defining for the rest of us at what ranges we can kill our game and of course what bullet we should use too.

Like I have stated before and will now do again there Oldman. Anytime you wish to take me up on my offer, you just let me know!

In the meantime, you just keep making a joke and an azz of yourself!!!!

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Every forum needs a blowhard, the sad part of it is some of em are actually knowledgeable people just prone to delusional behavior.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Every forum needs a blowhard, the sad part of it is some of em are actually knowledgeable people just prone to delusional behavior.
...Oldman is definetly,,,,"a major piece of work!"

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I ran into one like em on the hni forum, somebody mentioned em here he actually is a smart guy just prone to azzholishness

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Have fun with the VLDs.

P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I believe everybody but the hogs are gonna have fun with the VLDs

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any of you "experts" actually served as a range officer on"sight in day"? Had, you, you would observe that, as I said not 1 in 100 should be shooting at long range.
As for me, the only thing I ever shot beyond 400 yards were 100s of woodchucks back in my "ute".
Being able to make the shot off a bench or bipod at a paper target is FAR different than dealing with real world field conditions and animals who actually (gasp) might not stand still broadside for your ranging, knob twiddling and so on. Very few place (none) I have every hunted have wind flags every 50 yards either.

So you do whatever you want. You have to live with the lost animals, I don't. If you are a hunter, there is not a living deer, elk or antelope that cannot be approached within 400 yards.
If they could not, bowhunters would never kill anything. EOS

The "brat pack" calling me names, hurling childish insults and generally acting like "the last picked at dodgeball", don't change the facts. Sorry.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Oldballs, you sure are a piece of work..."flatlanders" coming from a NY transplant..LMAO

What have you killed, 1 elk? "Where our elk live" [bleep], whatever oldballs..what you know about elk you learned from field &stream..And why TF are you on the LR forum anyway?

Go ahead and tell me about grizz and wolves, just to make yourself look like a bigger dipshit. (if thats even possible)

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Any of you "experts" actually served as a range officer on"sight in day"? Had, you, you would observe that, as I said not 1 in 100 should be shooting at long range.

Well, yes I have as a matter of fact. But that has no bearing on the OP's question, his question was on the adequacy of the cartridge, not how many hunters should or should not be shooting long-range.

.....hunting is about getting as close as you can to insure a sure humane kill, not feeding a "sniper wannabe" ego.

Should I go back and get the photo of you and your pronghorn shot at, what was it, 387 yards, in the ass? Are you that magical "1-in-100 guy" who is fine taking an ass-shot at 387 yards with a caliber illegal for big game in your state?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
As for me, the only thing I ever shot beyond 400 yards were 100s of woodchucks back in my "ute".
Being able to make the shot off a bench or bipod at a paper target is FAR different than dealing with real world field conditions and animals who actually (gasp) might not stand still broadside for your ranging, knob twiddling and so on. Very few place (none) I have every hunted have wind flags every 50 yards either.

So you do whatever you want. You have to live with the lost animals, I don't. If you are a hunter, there is not a living deer, elk or antelope that cannot be approached within 400 yards.
If they could not, bowhunters would never kill anything. EOS

The "brat pack" calling me names, hurling childish insults and generally acting like "the last picked at dodgeball", don't change the facts. Sorry.

The old "impose my limitations" on others approach

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you are a hunter, there is not a living deer, elk or antelope that cannot be approached within 400 yards.

WOW! You are out to 400 yards now, without even practicing good grief. laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He has to use 400 yards as his outer limit, what with the photo of the ass-shot pronghorn at 357, 387, whatever it was.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by rosco1
Oldballs, you sure are a piece of work...

Laffin!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As someone earlier in this thread alluded to for a particular bullet, find out the minimum recommended impact velocity for the bullet you are considering to determine the maximum effective range with an external ballistics software package that will give you down-range velocities for a given data set (ballistic coefficient, muzzle velocity, altitude, etc.). Some cup-and-core bullets need at least 1900-2000 feet per second velocity at impact to expand reliably, while other bullets need more impact velocity and some require less velocity. Some people think it is a good idea to add a little bit of cushion (safety factor of say 100 fps) to what the bullet manufacturer says is the minimum impact velocity, and I wouldn't disagree with that practice.

If you want to push the envelope, you'll want to measure your muzzle velocity with a chronograph and verify your bullet's ballistic coefficient by shooting at various distances and comparing the drop at the various distances to what is predicted by the external ballistics software for the input parameters (including an accurate measurement of the distance between the center of your bore and the center of your scope).

There are a number of bullets for the .270 that will expand out to a distance of 400-500 yards with typical .270 muzzle velocities, but I suspect the number of bullets from a .270 that will expand reliably past 600 yards is probably pretty small. The Berger VLD is one I would be looking at, as others have mentioned.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
172 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.