Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rackus Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
FN proofmarks, looks like micro-groove rifling. Anyone else have one?, and what does the rifling in yours look like? All indications point to a good shooting rifle. In the process of working up loads.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Couple pictures would be handy, to see what you're talking about.

What is EJN-757? Serial number? I assume "30-06" is the cartridge? As in ".30-'06"?

Could be interesting...thanks.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If it is a Wards Western Field, the model should be EJN575, not EJN757.

That being said, if it is Model EJN575, it would be a Mauser, Model FN 98 Commercial as per Hoosier Gun Workds Cross Reference Chart.

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/cross_reference.html

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WOW...that is useful information. Just added that to my "Favorites" list.

Thanks!

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought for the action a wards rifle known as a Hawthorn 760.
It has the excelent FN side safty action and a much better latch set up for the floor plate.
...tj3006

IC B2

C
C
Comments from a new member:

I too recently bought a Wards Hawthorne 760 for the action. As tj3006 mentions its side safety and steel hinged floorplate is better than some earlier FNs IMO. It's currently being rebarreled and will be restocked in a Bansner.

Wards and Sears FNs can sometimes be bought cheaply but the word seems to be out and their prices are rising.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by muledeer

Thanks!

Dennis

My pleasure Dennis, glad you found it useful. My neighbor always comes up with oddball stuff that doesn't fire or is broke in some way shape or form and I've used it for many years, it's been very helpful for identifying guns for him to get the proper parts, albeit even the correct scope bases, if nothing else.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by muledeer

Thanks!

Dennis

+1 great link

this place is unbelievable for information......even without Lee24 wink

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
R
Rackus Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I also have a Western Field Model EHN-720B West Germany 308, looks like it's made by F.W. Heym.
Thanks for the link.
Rick
Originally Posted by Wink_man
If it is a Wards Western Field, the model should be EJN575, not EJN757.

That being said, if it is Model EJN575, it would be a Mauser, Model FN 98 Commercial as per Hoosier Gun Workds Cross Reference Chart.

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/cross_reference.html

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I just found a .30-'06 Western Field Model 720A EHM wearing an early Weaver 3 x 9 in a local pawn shop.
It's in good/very good condition and they're asking $350.00 for it.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Excellent FN action with proofs but probably doesn't show 'FN' on it.
Mine had standard 6 groove rifling.
Sold it.

Retired cat herder.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have the JC Higgins Model 50 in 30-06,and I love it I mounted a Weaver K4 on it and its every thing i wanted.Cheap,accurate,lightand good looking

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by g5m
Excellent FN action with proofs but probably doesn't show 'FN' on it.
Mine had standard 6 groove rifling.
Sold it.

This one also has the 6 groove rifling and no, it doesn't show FN proof marks, at least above the wood.

I wanted to pull it from the stock but I don't think the proprietor would have agreed.

Also wanted to take it out and shoot it! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
A
The model # in the original post is correct as EJN-757 (not 575, as was stated it should be above). I have one, as well, that was my grandfather's. I just put it back together last night. I found a link once that it was built by Sako and badged as a Wards Western Field, but I cannot find that link as I look right now. If I find it I will post it here. It has an FN Mauser 98 action. I'm not savvy enough to know anything about grooving within the barrel as I just received this rifle and start hunting big game recently. Picture here:

No Woods in Southie http://nowoodsinsouthie.tumblr.com/...he-stock-back-from-my-brother-after-some

A
A
Itโ€™s been a while since Iโ€™ve looked into this, but curious if more information was ever found. I thought it was a Sako but canโ€™t find the old reference guide that showed this. I was hoping to find a lighter custom stock and possibly upgrade the optics this summer:

Rifle Photo 1

Action

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many years ago I was at a gun show and saw a rifle with a Mauser action with Belgian proofs and a Microgroove barrel with Wards markings. The same seller had a J.C. Higgins Model 50, which has explicit FN markings and a chrome lined High Standard barrel. I spent a lot of time deciding which to buy, but I bought the Model 50 because I knew it was an FN action, although I strongly suspect the Wards rifle was as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,834 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.