Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Hi guys,

I'm getting ready for the whistle pig season, so doing some reloading. We have two kinds here, one about the size of those little juice cans and one about the size of a regular pop can. I've been shooting 50 grain Vmax bullets out of my 1 in 14 twist 223, and not quite getting the performance I'd like on the bigger pigs. I've tried more speed with 40 grain Vmax with about the same performance. Is there something more explosive than the Vmax? Thinking about the SPSX or Blitz, but would like recommendations based on experience where you compared to Vmax bullets.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The most explosive .224 bullets I've seen are the varmint grenades. You can hear the "pop" sound when they hit a sage rat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have not yet shot anything but paper with the Varmint Grenades, but Speer TNTs seem to give some good hang time and multiple pieces. Mt brother loves the Hornady Super Explosives. I usually shoot 40 gr Ballistic Tips or V-Maxs, though, for the extra velocity.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
if you dont mind going down to 45 grains, the hornady 45grain spite point hornet is quite explosive at .223remmy speeds. they shoot great in my remmy LVSF.

as for 50's, the speer TNT "pops" nicely. never tried the VG 50's yet to compare the two, but the lighter VG's splatter well.

============================================================

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
for both my 223s and 222, I'm partial to the Sierra 50 Varminter Blitz #1340.

Last edited by R_Walter; 03/15/10.

My g8-g8 uncle was Barney Riggs. Google and read about him. He roamed around the southwest, mainly west Tx and Az and NM territory. History credits him with from 9 - 12 men he killed, not counting Mexicans and Indians. Family lore has it at 18.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Calhoon 42 gr double hollow point!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by kcnboise
Hi guys,

I'm getting ready for the whistle pig season, so doing some reloading. We have two kinds here, one about the size of those little juice cans and one about the size of a regular pop can. I've been shooting 50 grain Vmax bullets out of my 1 in 14 twist 223, and not quite getting the performance I'd like on the bigger pigs. I've tried more speed with 40 grain Vmax with about the same performance. Is there something more explosive than the Vmax? Thinking about the SPSX or Blitz, but would like recommendations based on experience where you compared to Vmax bullets.

I have shot many a whistle pig , and nothing comes un-done like the V-Max. for some reason the 60gr V-Max is the most explosive of the 22cal's. if you shoot it out of a 1-8" twist it will come apart on a blade of grass at 200yds.
The 50gr TNT also works quite well.
RC828

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kcnboise: You definitely should try the 50 grain Sierra Blitz bullets - I use them in several of my 223's!
They are a splendid and splendidly accurate Varminting bullet - cheaper than many as well.
Now to the "whistle pigs" being the size of pop cans!
You can call the Ground Squirrels anything you want - but MORE often (always?) the term Whistle Pig refers to Rock Chucks, Wood Chucks and Hoary Marmots.
NOT the much smaller sage rats, gophers, picket pins, furrbies, 13 lined squirrels, peeps, Richardsons Ground Squirrels, etc etc etc!
I normally do not use centerfire Rifles on the hoardes of Ground Squirrels I Hunt (to expensive and many of the private lands I Hunt them on do not allow centerfires!) but I have shot many Ground Squirrels with this bullet from my 223's.
They are "explosive" - or juicy - if you will, on the diminutive Gophers!
If you are interested in EXPLOSIVE bullets on Ground Squirrels the 17 Remington Fireball with 20 grain Hornady V-Max bullets is the most awesome centerfire bullet I have seen!
Best of luck to you this "whistle pig" season and be sure to try the Sierra 50 grain Blitz (not the BlitzKings!) on both the Ground Squirrels and the Rock Chucks down Boise way.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My vote is for the Speer TNT...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Q
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Q
Over the years I have used almost every brand and style of 40 and 50 gr. bullets to shoot the small ground squirrels of south west Id. Due to the volume of shooting I have migrated to the less expensive bulk bullets available from various sources. The 50gr soft points I ordered from Midway and Midsouth shoot very well in 3 223's and 1 22-250 and 1 220 Swift. With solid hits they are very destructive, fringe hit not so much. But if I had to rate the brand name bullets from most explosive to least explosive on these small low resitant targets I rate them as follows. The TnT,Horn SX, Sierra Blitz,Sierra 45 hornet as a group, followed closely by the V-Max & Balistic tips, the 52 Speer hp, 45 Hornady Generally the soft points and plastic tips seemed more explosive than the hollow points. It has been years since I used the 45 Hornady but in those days found it to be a pretty tough bullet and have pushed it to over 4000 fps in the Swift with no problems. Good luck with your search.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
quarterboredave - thanks, that was exactly the type of answer I was looking for!

VarmintGuy - must be a regional thing; all types of ground squirrels are called whistle pigs or sage rats here. Rock Chucks are called chucks. At least that's what everyone I know around here calls them...

The little ones are Beldings Ground Squirrels - http://www.mnh.si.edu/mna/image_info.cfm?species_id=354 . Like you say, a centerfire is a bit much on these. A 22 with Aguila Super Maximum Hollow Points works great and is a lot cheaper than a 17 HMR.

The bigger ones are Columbian Ground Squirrels - http://www.mnh.si.edu/mna/image_info.cfm?species_id=354 . These are about 2/3rds to 3/4trs the size of a prairie dog. With the 50 grain Vmax they just kind of hump up and fall over.

Now to find some bullets; Cabelas and Sportsmans are both out of the Hornady SPSX. Might have to order them...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't have any experience with the gernade but the TNT and SX bullets will usually open a Ghog or Pdog up. you're not supposed to run them over 3000fps IIRC.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have never had louder WOP!!!s than with the old reliable Speer 52 gr Hollow point. Not the best bc for real long range, but when it hits, something is going to come undone.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Calhoun 42g Double HP gets my vote, very often you shoot the ground squirrel and he is just GONE! I shot a of the 50g Blitz, tnt, Speer 52, and all poly tips of which the Sierra Blitz king is the most destructive in the 50g Weight.

That large HP plus the extra speed on the 42g bullet really gets those little squirrels fly'en when the bullet is going 3650-3800 fps+ out of a 223.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I guess I should have asked the question differently - what 40 to 50 grain bullet (prefer 50 because of wind conditions) will really get a prairie dog to pop?

I'll ask that way because, again, the little ground squirrels aren't a problem, it's the big ones.

I'll take a look at the Calhoun 42 grain too; they sound good, thanks!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I was using 50 gr vmaxs, then tryed 36 gr varmint grenades. 150-200 yrs just explodes on impact. I'm staying with the barnes little ones for the effect. jmoa

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you want to stick with the 50's, then the Sierra Blitz king beats the V Max, Nosler Ballistic tip, Sierra Blitz, V max is second most explosive in my opinion.

The large HP's in the Calhoun and the Speer blow quite a bit in the wind.

You really should load some of the Sierra 55g Blitz kings also.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you want to stick with the 50's, then the Sierra Blitz king beats the V Max, Nosler Ballistic tip, Sierra Blitz, V max is second most explosive in my opinion.

The large HP's in the Calhoun and the Speer blow quite a bit in the wind.

You really should load some of the Sierra 55g Blitz kings also.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Just got off the phone with the Hornady tech. He said to try the SPSX as it has a thinner jacket than the Vmax. Now I just have to find a source, everbody is out here and on the web...

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by kcnboise
All types of ground squirrels are called whistle pigs or sage rats here.

Yep, 'cause they whistle to each other! smile

My preference is for the TNTs as well, especially out of a 223.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 71 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.