Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rick215 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Think I need help. Decided to buy a Ruger Redhawk with 5 1/2-in barrel. Want to mount either a bushnell holosight or redot on top of it which requires a weaver type base. The only one I can find is by B-Square so far. These clamp on the barrel in the front. Are they any good, (they sure are ugly) or are their others out there. This model does not have the Ruger mount notches. Any ideas? Rick

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Try <A HREF="http://www.sskindustries.com" TARGET=_blank>www.sskindustries.com</A> <p>[This message has been edited by JB in SC (edited February 24, 2001).]

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick,<BR>Also look into drilling and tapping the top strap.The clamp on mounts are hideous looking,but for the most part if you use enough locktite,they stay put.<BR>Were it mine I would have it drilled and tapped for peace of mind.<BR>Cheers!<BR>E4E<P>------------------<BR>Remove the mechanical variables,and then you can only blame yourself!<BR>http://home.intekom.com/upfront/cost.htm

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
R
Rick215 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
The salesman recommended buying the Super Redhawk for a few more dollars since it comes with Ruger rings. The problem I have is the short barrel is 7 1/2in on it. I decided on the redhawk with the 5 1/2 to use for general carry. It will be bulky enough with a scope attached, don't need the extra length barrel. The drill and tap may be the way to go as I am not confident in a scope that is not firmly attached, especially with a .44. Is this a fairly simple operation for a general gunsmith as pistolsmiths are far and few between in my area? Thanks. Rick

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you're mounting a scope, Leupold makes a dual dovetail base and ring set that doesn't require drilling and tapping.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I suggest the 7.5 inch barreled scope model Redhawk. No after market bases are needed.<BR>Its only two inches more length, so it ain't too much fuss. They all carry the same after a while, especially with a scope on it. Plus, you'll get more velocity with the longer barrel.<BR>Were you only getting it for packing purposes, get a shorter, lighter revolver. As long as you're scoping it, get the longer barrel, those "inbetween compromise" barrel lengths are often too short to be long enough, or too long to be short enough. With a scope on it, you'll eventually want a longer barrel, and for packing purposes, you'll want a shrter one. ~~~Suluuq

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick,<BR>A local General 'smith should have no problem drilling 3 holes and tapping them for ya.You will however lose open sights without some time in the shop to re-do things a bit,so pick a good scope.<BR>Also consider the Millet rings with the sights built into the top of them if you feel the need for opens.<BR>Good luck to ya!<BR>E4E<P>------------------<BR>Remove the mechanical variables,and then you can only blame yourself!<BR>http://home.intekom.com/upfront/cost.htm

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
R
Rick215 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks for all the input guys! After alot of thinking, I ordered the Super Redhawk with the mounts. It came in last week and I got out to the range with it on Sunday, just before the blizzard. Anyway, I am impressed with this gun. It handles recoil very well and seems quite accurate. The snow began falling so hard I could barely see the sights and I had to quit shooting. So far, I like it alot. The Red Dot scope is on order, and Ruger is sending 30MM rings in exchange for the 1-Inchers that came with the gun. I can't wait to see how it shoots with the new sight and look forward to working up some loads for it. Just too bad all the seasons are over and there is nothing to chase with it! Rick

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 3,342 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,296
Posts18,468,010
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.