Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just bought a gun off of GB and it comes with an older Burris Fullfield 3-9x40 scope.
This is the older, larger Fullfield and not the newer FFII.
Does anyone have any experience with these scopes?
Should I be thinking of replacing it right away with a 3-9x40 4200.
I already have a 4200 on another gun and for the money they are GREAT but is the FF a decent scope.

I like my 1.75-5x20 FFII so I'm not opposed to Burris at all.

Thanks folks.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I quite disliked Burris scopes until I bought a Fullfield 4X just before they were discontinued. Had they not done that I would own quite a few more Burris scopes. It's one I really like for full-sized rifles.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Klikitarik.

Burris also discontinued the nice little 1.75-5x20 FF2 which is a good low power scope.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The older USA made Fullfields are an excellent scope. The view however provide a somewhat yellowish tent

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, it's nice to know a new scope isn't needed immediately.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wouldn't mind having that scope you have at all.

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yep Shameless, that little 1.75-5x20 scope is a pretty sweet item. One of my favorites.

Sometimes I wonder what the heck a company is thinking when they discontinue a product I happen to like.

Darn it, they should just keep making what I like! grin

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Yep Shameless, that little 1.75-5x20 scope is a pretty sweet item. One of my favorites.

Sometimes I wonder what the heck a company is thinking when they discontinue a product I happen to like.

Darn it, they should just keep making what I like! grin

If you like that one look through the 1.75x5-32 sig safari. Its a gem, Nicer eye box and the glass is big step up.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'd test in for leaks and put 60 rds. through it to see if it held zero. If it passes that, it should be OK for at least casual use.
There was a time when Burris made very heavy scopes of that class which were known to be occassionally troublesome. Without knowing when it was made and if it really fits the description of those scopes, I can't say. Maybe I shouldn't even mention this as Burris scopes of this type haven't been made for the last 15-20 yrs. from what I've learned.
Around here, Burris is one of the top picks of the serious hunters I know. E

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had a Burris a while back, not the one you're talking about, but a US made scope. It was nice. I sold it around ten years ago (well, sold the rifle it was on). I relatively recently bought a new Burris (Phillipines I think) and it's supposedly the same "model" scope (if my memory serves) but it's not as nice a scope as the ~15 year old Burris I had. So, I'd figure it's probably a good scope, and as state above, I'd put it through it's paces and if it holds zero I'd keep it.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Optically and Mechanically, the older Fullfeild Burris scopes are pretty good.

They were tough but heavy, kind of long as well, but that tube length helped mount them on gun which needed it like Ruger no1s etc.

One thing that really used to annoy me with their scopes was the actual shape of their Duplex reticles. It was not the overall design ( although the thick section could have been thicker). Really it was the way in which they actually made it. The darn things were always lopsided in the transistion zone from the thick section to the thin section. They looked litterally hand made and and it was just plain annoying.

Yes, it's picking a nit, BUT really except for some of the very last El Paso Weavers whose reticles where formed the same way- NO other scope of that era- even a TASCO or Simmons had Duplex reticles shaped unevenly.

I will never forget being at some hotel cocktail party thrown by Burris st the SHOT show in Dallas in the late 1980s. Their sales manager asked me what I thought of their scopes and I told him everything warts and all. He was mistified about the Duplex comment, until I drew it out out a diagram of the issue on a napkin..

His response was they had heard that complaint before, but that they were using older forming dies/jigs to twist the reicle wire to make the thin /thick section. He said while thay may be a problem ,they would not change reticles until those dies wore out.

Well, I told him shooting a scope with a lopsided reticle is like driving a car with an egg shaped steering wheel.. Yes, it is useable, but is is annoying as hell and does not exactly give one a warm and fuzzy feel about the competency of the maker...

I know up until the late 1990s, they were still using those same lopsided duplex reticles..

Last edited by jim62; 03/19/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I got a practically new in the box Burris Fullfield 2.5x,sitting on top off the safe.A friend gave it to me a while back.I might try it on this .444,but I have a Lyman 66 receiver sight on it that I like.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 1,989 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.