A
adamsk Offline OP
OP Offline
A
i would like some information on a stevens 22 pump rifle model 75

BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Stevens M75 pump action .22LR was the predecessor to the Savage M29 and apparently was discontinued when the Savage M29 was marketed in 1929.
Production of the Stevens M75 occurred prior to that date. Rifles were not marked with serial number. I've had a M75 kicking around as a "basket case" in a box for a number of years. Recently I cleaned it up, bought a replacement takedown screw and reassembled it doing some research along the way. There is no listing for the M75 in the BLUE BOOK nor is there reference to it anywhere else I have looked except in the Bill West book. Strange thing, my favorite gun dealer now has one on his rack in slightly better condition than the one I have. It is priced at $115.00. Hope this helps.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dewker,

You are on the right track. The Stevens 75 is the same action as the Savage 29. Savage had bought the Stevens Co. around 1920. The 75 and 29 were serial numbered together. I'm not a Stevens collector but I do watch for the 29's. Serial numbered rifles at some point in the 1930's were marked L for Savage and M (correction made) for Stevens. I think there are some records available from the Savage Historian. There doesn't seem to be much printed info on this model. I don't know if its production started in 1929 or later around 1933. From what I can find, production stopped around 1938-39. The production quantity of 29's with checkered wood and oct. brls (1933-pre-WWII) was low and I would guess the Stevens 75 production to have been lower yet. The Stevens 75 had a round barrel and straight stock.

Adamsk,

What is the serial range of your rifle. I have some info that might help date yours.

Rick....

Last edited by Rick99; 02/22/03.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rick,
I am under the impression that the M75 Stevens simply evolved into the M29 Savage as the Savage management juxtapositioned the product line to suit whatever marketing whim imposed itself upon the powers-that-be. Savage history seems to be rife with such planning and decisions. The Savage M340 vs the Stevens M325 is one example. Other examples exist.

The BLUE BOOK lists the Sav M29 and indicates that production was initiated in 1929 (perhaps that is the orgin of the model designation "29"). As you pointed out, the design of the Stevens M75 and the Savage M29 are practically identical. In need of a takedown screw I was able to obtain a Sav M29 screw which I have used in the M75. The screw was about 1/8" too long and required shortening.

I have the feeling that the M75 Stevens was discontinued at the time in 1929 that the M29 was marketed. Admittedly, it is simple logic which causes me to form that judgement. My M75 is not serial numbered. I will check on the one that I discovered in the gun shop to see if it is serial numbered, that is, if it has not been sold.

The Stevens M75 seems to be one of those "lost" models for which very little if nothing at all is recorded. The one which I have is certainly not the pride and joy of my collection due to the fact that the metal finish is brown and there are rust pits in various places over the exterior surfaces. The bore is decent and it does go "bang" when the trigger is squeezed. Kind of a neat curiosity and one which can be tossed in the back of the pickup and not be worried too much about.

Thanks for your input. It adds to the dialogue.

Dave (dewker)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rick,
Looks as though I must eat some crow. Logic be damned, my assumptions vis-a-vis the Savage M29/Stevens M75 are apparently incorrect.

I have gone to the West book on Savage/Stevens and find that the Savage M29 originated with Savage, as previously thought, in 1929 as a pistol grip octagon barreled rifle. Production continued until 1968 per Bill West. At some point the octagon barrel was dropped in favor of a round barrel.

The Stevens M75, rather than being a predecessor model, was apparently brought out in 1931 as straight grip/round barreled "cheapie" version of the Savage M29 and was continued in production through 1938 after which it was discontinued.

The Stevens M75 was actually a parallel product line with the Savage M29 for the period 1931 through 1938.

The foregoing makes the assumption that Bill West is correct in his reportage.
However, that old saw "assumption is the mother of all screwups" must certainly apply to this issue.

Repectfully and humblely submitted (for whatever it's worth),
Dave (dewker)

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I going to confuse the issue alittle more. It is my understanding that the Steven's 75 is indeed an economy version of the Savage 29. I have three and they have serial numbers 151xx(no prefix) , #45XX (no prefix) and one marked Stevens Model 49 230XXK. At the last Tulsa show I saw two, (obvious) 75's, straight grip short pump handle marked Steven's model 29. I believe my Steven's marked 49 is a factory misprint and should have been marked 29. I"m glad we have cleared up the confusion. Pact

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dewker, Pact,

I made an error that I corrected in my other post. Per the Historian "... in 1933 they (Model 29's) jumped to a higher block of numbers starting with 118,000 and added suffix letters to distinguish between three types- "K" for branded gun receivers for Model 75's and 29's, "L" to indicate regular Model 29, and "M" to indicate regular Model 75". Pact - I would think that your Model 49 was a "Brand" marking rather than a mis-marking.

The Model 75 serial numbers that Pact listed are interesting. The Historial stated that the Model 29 serial was change from a 4 digit to a 6 digit number during the first year of production (100,000 jump). The serials Pact listed would have been numbers that the Model 29 skipped over. Did the Model 75 start with the skipped numbers or did they come later in production. The Savage records indicate that Savage stopped logging the 29/75 in late 1931. There doesn't seem to be many 29/75 collectors to get information from. We may never know the full history but we can keep working on it.

Rick....

Rick...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey Rick & Packer,
To continue the saga of the M29 and M75.......................

As I mentioned in my previous post/reply, I stopped by the dealer who has the Stevens M75 on his rack. I examined it thoroughly and it does not have a serial number evident anywhere on the rifle. The same holds true for the one I own.

Obviously, the M75 has not sold even at the reasonable price of $115.00 so I have to suppose that there are not many people standing in line to buy one.
What a pity!

I can offer nothing new vis-a-vis the Savage M29. Can't recall seeing one anywhere, only read a little about it.

Dave

W
W
Hello. I realize this is a a very old thread, but maybe someone around this campfire can help me. Can anyone post a couple of pictures of a Stevens/Savage model 75? Or send me a link to a site where pictures are posted? I need to identify a recently bought .22. Thanks Water_bug

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a photo that GeneB posted earlier:

6th from the top is the Stevens 75.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa105/GeneBB/Stevens%20Pump/Stevenspumps001a.jpg

Rick...

IC B3

W
W
Rick99, For my education I would very much appreciate if you would identify each of the rifles in that picture. I did not realize there were so many variations. Thanks, Water - bug

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check the photo again. grin

Rick...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Now that is cool! Thanks Rick.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope you didn't use a permanent marker to label those rifles. grin

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

W
W
Rick, For my education I sure would appreciate if you would identify the model numbers of each of the rifles in that picture. I did not realize there were so many variations. I would also like to E-Mail the fellow that has them and ask a question or two, if you could send me his E-Mail address. Thanks Ranger39

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just PM GeneB here on the Forum. It's his picture and labeling.
I can do the Savage and Savage House Brands but I know nothing on the Stevens.

Rick...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I was trying to just stay in the background on this � I though good, now Rick will be getting all the questions PM�ed to him wink. I though I would just quietly add labels to my pictures but he kind of pointed everything at me anyway. I tend to start typing and having a problem stopping � you got me started.

All Stevens pumps I have seen are marked with a model number, early guns were marked on the barrels only, up to the model 75 (based on the Savage model 29), later guns were marked on the sides of the receivers. The picture has all but one Stevens pump model that I am aware of. The Gallery 80's and the experimental are the only ones with threaded barrels - all others have the barrels pinned on and they are easily changed requiring only simple machining. There are numerous house brands based on the savage actions from the model 25 up, I have never found one based on the 1914 action. House brands were almost always stamped on the left side of the receiver so barrels were unmarked except for caliber - these barrels could easily be swapped so it's possible that there are unmarked guns out there - a Stevens model 75 action with a house brand barrel would be a possibility.

The Stevens model 75 was made while Stevens was being ran as a subsidiary by Savage - all later versions are probably from after Stevens was absorbed and became just a brand name - it was then used just like a house brand name. The Stevens 75 may have transcended this change, most show a separate serial number range without an alpha suffix (highest I have seen just under 14,000) but I have found one example that had a serial number that was in the Savage model 29 serial number range with an M suffix (120,000+ range) - the only M suffix serial number I have ever seen. Also the model 75's (the one with the M suffix not known) had a .312 dovetail rear sight, a unique Stevens feature, later guns have the Savage standard .375 (and L suffix serial numbers just like house brands). I have not did a check of rear dovetail sizes on very many house brands but the one I have checked are .375.

Gene

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I knew you were lurking in the back ground. I just had to flush you out. smile

Rick...

W
W
Rick, Thank you very much for identifying the rifles in that picture. Mine is a ranger - Sears. Looks most like the Model 75a, Can you tell me who owns those in the picture, so I can E-Mail him a question? Do you know the differences between the Model 29, 75 and 75a? Thanks Water Bug

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (222ND, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.