Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Howdy, all-
I am seriously considering getting an AR. I'm not really sure I have any valid reason to acquire one. It'll most likely be used, and in 223 if I do. Other than price, what is stopping me is the question of depending on a 22 cal. for personal defense and such. Sure, I understand that our military have used the AR for many decades, but since these are normally available in full auto, or at least burst, this stopping power is expanded way beyond civilian semi-auto.
As an aging levergunner, I am used to shooting big, hefty cartridges that make large holes in whatever they hit. So, what about the 5.56/223 as a stopping round in a semi-auto? Good, bad, or indifferent?
I'm not looking for a fun gun, or something to get just cuz the guvmint does not want me to have it, I would be depending upon it for real world rural defense.
Enlighten me.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have leverguns that shoot big, hefty cartridges. I live in a rural area. Not sure what kind of personal defense situation you're thinking of, but for most of what I can visualize for myself I would reach for one of my AR's or even my Mini-14 before I would any of my leverguns.

As far as what you're not looking for: every gun is a fun gun and AR's are a lot of fun (and a lot cheaper per shot to have fun with than a big bore lever gun.) It's always good to get something that someone doesn't want you to have.

The final thing is, it's America's rifle. Everybody should have one. If you have kids and/or grandkids they should know how to use it. When my son was having frequent gun battles in the hills of Afghanistan I took a certain comfort in knowing that he was using a weapon platform he'd been familiar with since before he was licensed to drive a car.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nothing wrong with lever guns, in fact they are the first assult rifle. Take a 5 gallon metal bucket and fill it with water. Then shoot it with your biggest, baddest lever gun.

Now take another one and do it again with a .223, if you still have doubts, stick with your lever guns. They both work but the difference in how they work will be obvious.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
55 grain soft point doesn't over penetrate in a house from lots of tests.. yet you can stick a mag of 69 bthps in the gun and they'll blow through a fridge at 300 M and keep rolling.

You can keep mags full of heavy and hard bullets handy, TSX will work well against glass even, and mags of varmint type bullets around. Mags of tracers if you have the urge....

As to knockdown... you hit em in the right spot and its all over regardless. It may not be the worlds best against "hard" targets that require lots of penetration, but I would never want to be on the receiving end.
I've also killed deer over 500 yards out with the 223 and 75 amax...
Nothing to sneeze at.

As to comments about burst and full auto... thats generally to keep folks heads down on the other side... you'll find far more deaths occur due to somewhat accurate semi auto fire. The only thing I would want full auto for is if multiples were assaulting me ALA combat... and then an AR would not be my choice anyway. You can do TONS of damage in a hurry in semi if the need arises and you are well trained.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buy yourself a .50 Beowulf , now you have no excuse not to own a AR. PS: I'm a lever gun fan myself but love my AR's

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Own a Marlin 1895 45/70 and a Winchester 1886 45/90 push comes to shove I'll grab the CQB.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
M
Mak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks, all.
I appreciate the input. Really like that part of it being America's Rifle, now I guess I'll have to scrounge up the cash and get one!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I stayed away from the .223 for a defensive round until a few years ago. But with the heavier bullets now available I have much more confidence in the round. I own nothing but 75 grain ammo for the most part. PRVI and Hornady TAP has much better accuracy in the current crop of 1/9 twist barrels and have more mass for better tactical penetraion.

A friend has killed almost 30 deer, all one shot drops, with Winchester 64 grain PowerPoints. All lung and/shoulder shots and only one bullet didn't pass through..only one deer failed to drop when hit...and that one only made it 30 yards. Hornady also has their tuff 60 grain bullet in their TAP line...should do as well as the PowerPoint.

Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
our military have used the AR for many decades, but since these are normally available in full auto, or at least burst, this stopping power is expanded way beyond civilian semi-auto

Civilian use of heavy TSX or heavy soft point ammo that would violate the Hague Convention IMHO brings the civilian semi auto pretty even with current military ammo on burst. Have seen documentation the "open tip" ammo currently used by the military may not tumble/fragment/cause large permanent wound channel until almost 12 inches into the target, which means it can pencil through a thin target.
I would not want to be hit with a .224 TSX or 75gn Scirocco.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like my 30-30, but if I have to go to war, I want what I was trained with. Make mine AR in 556.

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For the most part, they're using the M855 which is of course 62gr FMJ. Designated marksmen and the like are using 77gr OTM and I've seen nothing but great reviews of it. It does not defeat auto glass and is known for opening up pretty easy, do you have links to your documentation?

This chart was posted by DocGKR on m4carbine.net
[Linked Image]
Looks pretty good to me but it is not good at defeating barriers.
I've had good results from hunting with it and I'm just trying to stay on top of things, any info would be appreciated.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tomorrow I take delivery of one of the new PTR35s...basically a H&K 91 in 7.62x39. I had two HK91s back in the 1980s and 90s but sold them during the height of the AWB for almost four times what I had in the guns and accessories. Astounding accuracy...never changed zero in thousands of rounds...not one malfunction.

Always preferred the 7.62x39 round for self-defense, light recoil, fast followup shots, good tactical penetration, excellent one round knock down...but the accuracy of most semis available is what one would call "lacking".

Would love to have a AR platform in 7.62x39 but would like a AK magazine...and there are only two companies I know of that make an AR/AK and both are very "pricey"....

Bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
taking into consideration your valid concerns about the 5.56 for Civilian defense work, I'd recommend getting something a bit more robust.
FAL, M1A, AR10 in 7.62 NATO. Much more effective in a rural setting than the smaller caliber weapon.

Evan an AK in 7.62X39 is probably a better cartridge for what you want it to do.

Sam......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ain't the round, its the placement... 77 bthp out to 600M you 'ain't gonna survive my hit. Of course for mid to long range work I'd swap over to one of my bolt guns anyway, that long of a distance you need accuracy rather than firepower.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So is your bolt gun more accurate than your AR's? grin

Last edited by TWR; 03/24/10.
M
Mak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I know I said my choice would probably be in 223/556, but just wondering, has anyone had any real experience with the big bore conversions?
Above was mentioned the 50 Beowulf, but what about the 458 SOCOM?
On the surface, seems this might be a round an old levergunner would like.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TWR, I didn't save the document, found it online while researching best bullet choices for M4 type carbine. Gelatin tests supposedly for the military. IIRC the problem was not consistent and was influenced by barrel length and range at impact.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mak
I know I said my choice would probably be in 223/556, but just wondering, has anyone had any real experience with the big bore conversions?
Above was mentioned the 50 Beowulf, but what about the 458 SOCOM?
On the surface, seems this might be a round an old levergunner would like.
I kinda doubt you will. My own reasoning would center around ammo availability/cost. There is plenty of info here on this forum about the cartridges. Just keep scrolling through the pages.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mak
Howdy, all-
I am seriously considering getting an AR. I'm not really sure I have any valid reason to acquire one. It'll most likely be used, and in 223 if I do. Other than price, what is stopping me is the question of depending on a 22 cal. for personal defense and such. Sure, I understand that our military have used the AR for many decades, but since these are normally available in full auto, or at least burst, this stopping power is expanded way beyond civilian semi-auto.
As an aging levergunner, I am used to shooting big, hefty cartridges that make large holes in whatever they hit. So, what about the 5.56/223 as a stopping round in a semi-auto? Good, bad, or indifferent?
I'm not looking for a fun gun, or something to get just cuz the guvmint does not want me to have it, I would be depending upon it for real world rural defense.
Enlighten me.

Mak, lever guns are great I enjoy shooting mine! OTOH WWII was not fought with Winchester 94's. What do YOU think the reason was for that; put your thinking cap on here....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Ain't the round, its the placement... 77 bthp out to 600M you 'ain't gonna survive my hit. Of course for mid to long range work I'd swap over to one of my bolt guns anyway, that long of a distance you need accuracy rather than firepower.

whatever

Sam......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (358WCF, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 22 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.