Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
RDFinn can you give it a rest or take it somewhere else? You've added about 30 replies to my post with nothing of any merit to add... E said he made a mistake earlier, give it a rest already!

Last edited by Biathlonman; 03/26/10.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Relax. Did you find anything of value in the other 55 replies? Oh, my vote is for the FX3. You're welcome.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
RDFinn can you give it a rest or take it somewhere else? You've added about 30 replies to my post with nothing of any merit to add... E said he made a mistake earlier, give it a rest already!

The constant inaccurate banter is OK? Calling one on it and asking them for their source is a problem?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
John,Oh Man! That Burgess Mauser is sweet! I love the wood and stock shaping...and who was better than Tom Burgess? Like....NO ONE. Fabulous rifle and may you kill many more elk with it!Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Apologies to all for this minor hijack but I get distracted by Burgess Mausers. smile

Ditto Big Time!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
6x36... the extra weight and size of the 6x42 defeats the whole purpose of a fixed scope to me.

I'd sooner go 3-9x40 or 3.5-10x40 for nearly the same weight than the 6x42.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 6x36 on my Kimber 308 and love it. May be my favorite scope.......ever.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Leupolds Diamond Coat Coatings have been around and developed by them for many years. When they first came out, they were, and still are, widely acknowledged as being what they claim. Now a few of you guys insist on some sort of new, independent proof. Otherwise, according to you, they have no basis in fact for such claims simply because no widely recognized independent testing has been recently done to confirm this. This is nonsense. In my book, if you someone a liar, it's up to you to prove they are, not the other way around.
I suspect alot of this is that you simply have no qualities present in your favorite scopes to match what Leupold has done with their scopes in this regard.
BTW, Leupold's Diamond Coat 2 Coating do enhance the blue light spectrum for better low light performance. I don't mention this much because it is a very small difference that I don't consider significant when discussing these scope's qualities. E

Damn E,

You had been doing so good there for a while I actually could read your posts and think-"hey good point, that makes sense".

Leupold does not rule the world, LET IT GO FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have some pertinent info to contribute here from time to time, don't let your infallible love for Leupold ruin it. LET IT GO!!!!

I'm a Leupold fan myself, but I'm smart enough to realize, and have dealt with other brands of scopes enough to know that they are not the end all answer in scope production.

I understand you were somewhat led on a string, which I think you don't realize, back to your old ways. But good grief, be man enough and have the balls to say, "you know what, I haven't tried that scope, maybe I should".

You had rose above oldchild1942's status for awhile, now your there again, almost.

Bill

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
6x36... the extra weight and size of the 6x42 defeats the whole purpose of a fixed scope to me.

I'd sooner go 3-9x40 or 3.5-10x40 for nearly the same weight than the 6x42.

"DWS"!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, been several places I couldn't go with a 6x42........

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It's all a trade off between weight, eye box, your perception of which one is more dependable and probably a few more things. When you get down to picking nits between a high quality 3X9, a 6X36 or a 6X42, it's dam difficult to conjure up a scene where one would work and the other wouldn't. I swear by the 6X42 except when I am using the 6X36 or one of the 3X9s. And, no, I am not ambivalent... Well, maybe a little- smile

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone have some pics to share of either/both 36mm fxII and 42mm fx-3 while mounted?

If not, am ok drooling at the mauser bit longer.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Careful, he'll tell you to [bleep] off if you corner him on something...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Naw. Been window shopping for a 6x that wasn't darn near size of a variable. These are interesting opinions to kick around.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
well comming in late on this one my rifles are all 6x36 luppie except my 375 they work just fine in sask, africa,alberta,woyming, and good old ny at 30yds and 350 yds i didnt see any advantage by the 42 so its gone

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by BobinNH
John,Oh Man! That Burgess Mauser is sweet! I love the wood and stock shaping...and who was better than Tom Burgess? Like....NO ONE. Fabulous rifle and may you kill many more elk with it!Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Apologies to all for this minor hijack but I get distracted by Burgess Mausers. smile

Ditto Big Time!

Dober

Dober, is dat like the Oberndorf? grin

Oh, 6x36 BTW....if I am gonna run a scope as big as the 6x42 it'll be....uh.....my Summit! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Anyone have some pics to share of either/both 36mm fxII and 42mm fx-3 while mounted?

Here is an FX-II, 6X36, Wide Duplex, CDS, mounted on a M77 Hawkeye .308. I like the scope and the CDS, but having trouble with tracking. finally boxed it up and its going back for some TLC, mailing it out today. Fine scope, does everything I need. I probably don't need the CDS or tracking, but, I ordered it so it should work.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 308ld; 03/27/10.

Ed
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Careful, he'll tell you to [bleep] off if you corner him on something...

Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Brad, I really am suprised that you don't give MR more love. I thought Dana was your Cornbud?

Are MR products too NASCAR for your tastes or what?

Hey Dan, [bleep] off.

Dan, you've never "cornered" me on anything, you're frankly not smart enough. However, acting like a school girl far out of your depth does seem to be your forte...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 308ld

Here is an FX-II, 6X36, Wide Duplex, CDS, mounted on a M77 Hawkeye .308. I like the scope and the CDS, but having trouble with tracking. finally boxed it up and its going back for some TLC, mailing it out today. Fine scope, does everything I need. I probably don't need the CDS or tracking, but, I ordered it so it should work.

I've had a hankering to have a CDS mounted on a 6x36LR... too bad to hear about the tracking. If you don't mind, when you get the scope back and try it out I'd like to hear if it works.

Thanks.

BTW, great looking rig!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Back when Leupold first introduced them, they and other companies, like Burris, put on demonstrations concerning their toughness. As I recall, and this was way back in the mid 90's, Burris's were actually tougher than Leupold's based on tests done by guys like Bill McRae.
The trouble was that they weren't quite as good at transmiting the scope's light or image. Some of the smaller scopes in Leupold's LPS line were disappointing, for instance.
Back then, Leupold claimed their DC coatings were 15X harder. But now, with the much improved coatings, much improved in their light transmitting properties, they simply claim that they are several times tougher.
The only outside testing that I've heard of was done by the military. Leupold's DC2 coatinggs passed their tests easily.
E

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I put a FXII 6X36on my Ti '06, been pretty happy with it so far:
[Linked Image]

I had a Leupie 6x42 on another rifle but prefer scopes with objectives around 36mm since they sit and ride so well on rifles that are packed in rough terrain, especially if carried in the Kifaru gunbearer.

Like most things, it's all about trade-offs and subjectivity. wink

MtnHtr

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,787 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.