Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Which would you rather own and why? Sorry if its been asked before. I've personally owned both. I've owned an original 1886 and Marlin 1895's. The Marlins were a regular 1895 half-mag made just after they started with the safeties, an original 1895 and an 1895 Cowboy.

The 1886 was sweet. Very hard to beat. The Marlin Cowboy I would rate second. Picking between these two would be tough. The Marlin is probably a bit stronger due to it being newer and also the more modern steels. The Marlin is also lighter, which to most people would be an advantage. To me though, the greater weight made the '86 easier to shoot. I'll take the '86, but it is awfully, awfully close. You also could mount a scope on the Marlin...

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 3 1886's, no Marlins. I guess that would explain my preference. One is a Browning-made Montana Centennial, and it is a better quality gun than the later produced Winchesters that they made about 10 years later.

The other 2 are original Winchesters, one of which is stamped "Browning Brothers, Ogden U.T." It even has a single set trigger which is very rare in an 1886.

I haven't found a Marlin in the original configuration that had the chamber tolerances as tight as the Winchesters, this makes it hard and sometimes impossible to shoot with today's loads. I do have a Marlin 1889 in 44-40 and it is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. It doesn't have that chamber problem.

I have seen plenty of original Marlins in excellent shape, their fit and finish is every bit as good as Winchester, but my affinity for these types of rifles is for the originals and I will stick with the 1886's.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I got my first 1886 about two weeks ago, an early Browning SRC 45-70 in mint condition. I also have a Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70.

My impression is that the 1886 has a better level of finish and fit than the Marlin, and is just a bit heavier. That aside, I prefer the Marlin, hands down. The Marlin just flat out shoots circles around the 1886, and it ain't even close.

Maybe this is just the difference between two individual rifles, I don't know, but in my sample of one each, the Marlin has it all over the 1886.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
New or old Winchester (or Browning) 1886 hands down, no question whatsoever.

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The '86 is so much smoother IMO than the 1895. Wouldn't cull either, though.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
I got my first 1886 about two weeks ago, an early Browning SRC 45-70 in mint condition. I also have a Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70.

My impression is that the 1886 has a better level of finish and fit than the Marlin, and is just a bit heavier. That aside, I prefer the Marlin, hands down. The Marlin just flat out shoots circles around the 1886, and it ain't even close.

Maybe this is just the difference between two individual rifles, I don't know, but in my sample of one each, the Marlin has it all over the 1886.

Yeah.. A sample of one each ..

You own ONE 1886 for TWO WHOLE WEEKS(a carbine with barrel bands to boot) and now you are an expert on accurate 1886 rifles are?

That's a damn funny post,IMHO

Last edited by jim62; 03/25/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sharpsguy has burned enough powder to fill a freight train with mucho different rifles. I've shot both (own an 1895SS) and the Marlin has outshot the 1886 rifles I have tried. The Winchesters are definitely prettier though.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[quote=EvilTwin]Sharpsguy has burned enough powder to fill a freight train with mucho different rifles. [/quote)

So have I... BFD.

And After owning and shootingat least 5 of each model over the last 20 years, I have found-ALL things being equal- (same quality sights and ammo) that there is no real difference. Period.

Like I said, anyopne who would make a definitive statement on the accuracy of a rifle based on a sample of ONE is pretty damn foolish,IMHO.

Sorry.

Last edited by jim62; 03/26/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a Browning 1886. It is very slick and locks up tight. I don't really like the curved steel buttplate though. One of these days I'll get it replaced. The 1895 Cowboy felt better in my hands, but I don't remember how the action was.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
jim62, I didn't get that sharpsguy was making an assesment of the two rifles across ther board. Only the relative accuracy of his two samples.

If you re-read his last sentence, he says as much in very clear language.

Quote:

"Maybe this is just the difference between two individual rifles, I don't know, but in my sample of one each, the Marlin has it all over the 1886."

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
jim62, I didn't get that sharpsguy was making an assesment of the two rifles across ther board. Only the relative accuracy of his two samples.

If you re-read his last sentence, he says as much in very clear language.

Quote:

"Maybe this is just the difference between two individual rifles, I don't know, but in my sample of one each, the Marlin has it all over the 1886."

I guess this line contradicts the other-

"The Marlin just flat out shoots circles around the 1886, and it ain't even close."

To all gunmaker critics-
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

"...in my sample of one each..."

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Precisely.. wink

To all gunmaker critics-
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You are comparing two nice rifles. I have them both and here are my thoughts.

Personally I prefer my 1886. But if I want to hunt with a scoped rifle then I like the Marlin better. Both rifles shoot well if you take your time and find the right load. Personally I shoot my own cast bullets, and get more than enough accuracy to get the job done.

The only thing I do not like on the Marlin is the open bolt. I do not like the look of the right side of the receiver because the bolt is exposed. There is not a thing wrong with that, I just do not like the aesthetics of that part of the Marlin. I wish Marlin would go back to the "bolt cover". Just like my old 336 has. But other than that I really like the looks and feel of the Marlin cowboy model, and I really like that octagon barrel. Those barrels are really sharp IMO.

But if I could only have one then it would be my 1886. The rifle is a bit heavy(no doubt), but it handles and carries fantastically.

IMO it really comes down to whether you want to hunt with a scope or not. I believe the Marlin is set up better for scoped hunting, and the Winchester is set up better for open sighted hunting. Tom.

West By God Virginia
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
jim62--My life is not about trying to find a load for a cranky rifle. A long time ago I figured out that life is too short to tolerate tempermental women and tempermental rifles. I have a wonderful wife and a gunsafe full of accurate rifles.

Maybe you have had good luck with your 1886s. Granted, mine is a sample of one, but it won't reliably hit a dinner plate at 100 yards. To me, a chef is only as good as the last meal he serves in his restaurant. Poor food means I ain't eatin' there anymore. If my 86 happened to turn out to be a dog, so be it. FWIW, my Marlin Cowboy is the only one of those I have ever owned, and it shoots lights out--and it is ALSO A SAMPLE OF ONE. My Cowboy Marlin Shoots, and my 1886 doesn't. Get over it.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
jim62--My life is not about trying to find a load for a cranky rifle. A long time ago I figured out that life is too short to tolerate tempermental women and tempermental rifles. I have a wonderful wife and a gunsafe full of accurate rifles.

Maybe you have had good luck with your 1886s. Granted, mine is a sample of one, but it won't reliably hit a dinner plate at 100 yards. To me, a chef is only as good as the last meal he serves in his restaurant. Poor food means I ain't eatin' there anymore. If my 86 happened to turn out to be a dog, so be it. FWIW, my Marlin Cowboy is the only one of those I have ever owned, and it shoots lights out--and it is ALSO A SAMPLE OF ONE. My Cowboy Marlin Shoots, and my 1886 doesn't. Get over it.

Hmmm. The three different 1886 carbines I have shot since they were released in 1992 would do at least 2 inches or at 100 yards for three shots with the factory sights (properly shaded and shot off a rest)..

If your Browning 1886 Carbine truly will not "reliably a dinner plate" at 100 yards, then is the FIRST lever rifle of ANY make or model I have ever heard of that was that inaccurate since most dinner plates are 8" plus in diameter..

You might consider sending that Browning of yours to Buffalo Bill Firearms Museum in Cody. Any lever gun that inaccurate should be documented and have it's own wing due to it's rarity..

Last edited by jim62; 03/26/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have owned just about every configuration of the modern (post 1972) Marlin 1895 and the modern Browning/Winchester Miroku 1886 rifles. The fit and finish is much better on the Brownchesters as a rule, but I have seen exceptions. Of course, the fit and finish should be better on a rifle that costs twice as much as the Marlin in many cases. I have owned examples of both brands that were shooters and others that were not.

For the money, I think the Marlin is the better value if you plan to hunt with it. It is far easider to add aftermarket sights, slings etc to the Marlin. Accuracy is usually at least equal to the more expensive 1886. They are both great guns. The 1886 is prettier and more nostalgic, the 1895 more utilitarian.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
I have owned just about every configuration of the modern (post 1972) Marlin 1895 and the modern Browning/Winchester Miroku 1886 rifles. The fit and finish is much better on the Brownchesters as a rule, but I have seen exceptions. Of course, the fit and finish should be better on a rifle that costs twice as much as the Marlin in many cases. I have owned examples of both brands that were shooters and others that were not.

For the money, I think the Marlin is the better value if you plan to hunt with it. It is far easider to add aftermarket sights, slings etc to the Marlin. Accuracy is usually at least equal to the more expensive 1886. They are both great guns. The 1886 is prettier and more nostalgic, the 1895 more utilitarian.

+1

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the 1886 Winchester is nicer looking for what that is worth, not much to a hunter I suppose. I have two of the Marlin .444's and one 45/70. The are rugged and shoot well with both factory and my reloads. PS, I am a model 70 Winchester man for many years!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Interesting responses, so far.
The Browning, and then later the Winchester 1886's of the modern era are all manufactured in Japan under the auspices of Miroku. The Japanese redesigned the original weapons to work on the metric system, additionally, they changed some, tho not all of the internal parts. It is for this reason that I believe the Browning/USRAC/WRA Miroku guns to be in effect different rifles from those made by skilled American gunsmiths so many decades gone.
This is not to disparage the new weapons, in fact I think they are quite nice, yet they tend to have slightly different enough dimensions and handling/action characteristics to in my mind at least, be qualified as replicas rather than continuation of the storied Winchester 1886.
Browning versions, which maintain the closest to original lock work, also tend to be heaviest of the replica guns. Part of this is due to the configurations chosen.
Some mention was made of the Browning carbine, and its inability-or ability-to shoot. Having some experience with the Winchester 1886 carbine, I can state that the gun must be held firmly, and high enough on the shoulder to gain the sights without undue craning of the neck in order to repeat its shots in a close cluster. By the way, the Winchester weighs in at least a couple pounds lighter than the hulking Browning.
Secondly, even a N.I.B. gun should be checked for correct torque on all screws. Any looseness in the tang-even slightly perceptible motion will almost always result in vertical stringing. It also never hurts to clean the barrel, as all matter of barely visible nasties can lurk in there, even if she was a safe queen.
In terms of which gun is better, the Marlin or the Winchester, I think a lot of it has to do with preference. The real Winchester 1886's are now going on 7 decades old-and beyond. They are quickly disappearing from the realm of practical weapons, into the vaults of history.
A more valid comparison might be between the new WRA 1886 extra light and the original 1895 Marlin. Both feature 22" bbl.s, tip the scales at a bit over 7 lbs., and can operate at roughly equal cartridge pressures.
In terms of features, such as sling swivels, checkering-the Marlin wins. In terms of Handling, I personally believe the extra light with its straight stock is faster to the shoulder, esp. since it does not have a rubber butt to catch on your clothes.
Personally, I continue to be disappointed by Marlin's insistence on Popeye sized forearms, but then, most Miroku barrels do not have throats, which can limit the use of some bullets.
If I wanted the best value for my money, I believe it is the Marlin, however, if I wanted the fastest and best handling-it'd be the Winchester.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.