Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3948234 03/29/10
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hey guys, I need some ideas here.

I've been using the same old U.S. ARMY pack board for way too many years and it's finally catching up to me. This is a hold over from my early years hunting with a pack of old timers - and that's what they used.

They're handy, due to the way you can tie just about any configuration of load on them...but they're uncomfortable and no doubt not near as efficient as some of the newer types.

My hunting usually involves a Camelbak day pack with hydro. We chase elk with bows in a wilderness area and have all the tools and bags to butcher a kill on the spot. Then we bring in whatever we can fit in our day packs and return the next day with pack boards to finish the job.

With out getting $$ stupid, what do you guys use and recommend?

Thx!

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

BP-B2

H
H
http://www.arucsystems.com/

This is the system I use.

...the deepest wound a veteran can recieve is to be forgotten...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I use a Kelty now. I would recommend it with minor reservations.

I don't carry it while I hunt though.

I used to do that with the packboard and hang my daypack on it.

Good adjustments, several tie points. Has a bigger load shelf than the military board. Extemely comfy straps and waist belt. I put my game care gear and extra hunting gear in the bag and pull it off when I need to pack.

It is bulky and hard to clean up after it gets bloody.

I still have my military packboard.I keep thinking I will put better shoulder straps and a good waist belt and go back to using it. Nothing is easier to tie a quarter to.

We put our

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've been using one of the freighter frames from Cabela's for about 10 years now. It's hauled a couple of elk and deer out each season with no issues.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bull Pack...........................................!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.bullpacs.com/

This will last you for the rest of your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B2

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
We use a Badlands 2200 these days for all day hunts or short 2-3 day bivy hunts. This pack offers meat carrying capabilities on the outside of pack, it's very versatile for sure. We load all our daily supplies inside the desired pockets. When an elk is down we simply unzip a bottom pouch & out comes an attached seat & straps, you can secure a good load in seconds with no rope or bungees needed! This pack also has a 100oz water bladder for all day hunts.
It's so comfortable & tough that we also use this same pack for the return trip & grab rest of meat. We too carry all needed items & game bags at all times to break down elk.

We used to use packframes on all return trips, then it was the Kelty Cache Hauler, about 100.00 it's a great frame & you can secure meat on it in seconds with no rope or bungees & is comfortable when loaded down.

ElkNut1

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Guys,

Thanks much for the information.... now I'll start tracking them down and see what might work for me. smile

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I 2nd Bull Pac with Cabelas frameless pack bag.You can't wear that frame out even if you drop it loaded. Just my 2 cents.

"I've made alot of money in my life, most of it spent on guns and women. The rest of it I just wasted."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 77 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.